• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel 2604 vs. 2704 w/ KDrill

Hawg

I'm going to buy a new brushless fuel drill and there's a chance someday I might go the KDrill route. Just went to HD and saw 2 fuel 18 volt drills. One is the 2604 with 700 Lbs peak torque and the other is the 2704 with 1200 lbs peak torque. Does an auger set up need the 1200 #'s? It will be used with an 8 in Kdrill.

Edited by Hawg

The real question is do you already have any Milwaukee M18 tools/batteries?  To me, its a no brainer to get the 2704.  Heck, you can get a more powerful drill for the same amount of $$$.  http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2704-20-Hammer-Driver-Torque/dp/B015HNN3KS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457982373&sr=8-1&keywords=2704-20

Now if you don't have any Milwaukee tools yet then you are definitely going to want to get a combo kit of some sort.  Batteries are by far the most expensive component of any cordless setup - $130 for one XC 5 AH or $200 for a 2 pack.  At that price you can get a heck of a drill for the same price as ONE battery.   If you don't have any Milwaukee tools yet, do yourself a huge favor and get the 2897-22 combo pack.  For $300-$350 you get the 2704, a top of the line impact driver (2753), 2 XC 5.0 batteries, a charger, and a case.  The 2704-22 combo pack is around $275-$300 for just the drill, one xc 5.0, charger, and case.  For an extra $50 MAX you get an extra battery ($130) and a impact driver (another $120) that you will probably use more around a house than the actual drill. 

I actually got the combo kit last week off of Amazon for $297 with free shipping but it looks like they are back up to $340 http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-M18-2897-22-Tool-Combo/dp/B017G5GCKS right now.  Still, for only $40 extra you get so much more.  Plus you are going to want to have at least 2 batteries out on the ice just in case.  BTW, I used the tools last weekend for the first time putting some cabinets in my Yetti and these tools are wicked awesome - no comparison to the 2 year old Dewalt tools I have been using. 

^^^ Long story short, for nearly the same price why not get the bigger drill?  To me it's not so much a power debate but more of a $$$ issue. 

$299 at Fleet for the drill and you get a $100 rebate. I built my whole fish house with Ryobi tools and they did everything I wanted them to do. If I go the 2704 route I would buy a 2 pack of the small batteries just because of weight for small jobs. Believe me, I've been shopping. The hardest part of the whole deal is that I'll never need that kind of power in a drill for everyday use. It's another want, not need, decision. 

14 minutes ago, Hawg said:

$299 at Fleet for the drill and you get a $100 rebate. I built my whole fish house with Ryobi tools and they did everything I wanted them to do. If I go the 2704 route I would buy a 2 pack of the small batteries just because of weight for small jobs. Believe me, I've been shopping. The hardest part of the whole deal is that I'll never need that kind of power in a drill for everyday use. It's another want, not need, decision. 

I have two of the small ones with my setup and for my needs I have never run out.  At a half hour charge time even if I'm working all day I usually always have the next one charged before I run out.  My collection is growing and outside of cheap tools I wont buy anything but milwaukee anymore.  I've put mine through a beating and they all still run great!

I'm a solid believer in propane after my first year with my HC40 so the main reason I got the 2704 wasn't for a KDrill but so I could use ICNUTS on my Yetti.  I'm not sure what kind of winches you have on your shack but you should definitely look into seeing if these work on your shack, they are a life/back saver!  The 2704 has no issue raising my 4200 lb Yetti in about 30sec-1min per side.  That's a whole heck of a lot easier than trying to crank the beast up for 10 minutes every time I want to move.  I didn't have it yet for this ice season but I know that just having these on my shack will allow me to be more mobile with my shack. 

http://winchdrivertools.com/

18 hours ago, Hawg said:

If you want to be using the drill with the k-drill then get the large batteries.  the small ones will not last cutting through the ice.

Yetti, I already have ICNUTS and the 2 speed winches. My Ryobi takes it up with no problems. I did learn on the first try not to raise the front first! I'm convinced I can talk on the phone and crank the house up with the handle left handed. That's maybe a slight exaggeration but not much.  

I agree with Yetti to shop around for a combo or a deal of some kind.  I purchased the 2704 and received a coupon for a free 5AH battery.  That is a $129 value.  With three 5AH batteries, I've started buying additional tools without batteries.  I only skipped the combo because I am waiting for the Milwaukee One-Key impact.  The One-Key hammer drill comes out at the end of March, so you may want to take a look at that unit.  I couldn't wait for the hammer drill because I wanted to use the K-Drill for ice season.  

I talked to a Milwaukee rep last month and they have many new products coming out in the next few months.  

57 minutes ago, YettiStyle said:

Just wait for that big XC 9.0 AH battery!  That should last a while for all you clam plate/KDrill users. 

I can't wait to see what that will do!  Should be on the shelves in a few weeks.  The 5 AH batteries performed much better than I could have imagined.  My four stroke sat in the garage all winter.  

I've been running the 8" kdrill for 2 seasons. With the 8", I'd say you'll want the most torque you can get.

I'm running the dewalt DCD995, so I don't have specific experience with the Fuel drills, but I really think you'll want as much torque as you can get.

If you were using the 6" I think you could get away with either, but I'd still go for torque if possible.