• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but, where I'm at(the little Cobb river valley just north of MN lake), I can't find any morels. I've tried Daly park at Lura lake as well, and nothing. I'm curious if I can go to WMA's to hunt wild edibles? I hunt these for deer, but wasn't sure since it's wildlife management if I'm permitted to use these lands for wild edibles, I couldn't find anything on the DNR page about it.

Yep, you can forage in a WMA.  SNA's are off limits, though, for some reason. 

Some places don't seem to grow morels as well as others.  The type of soil matters a lot, as does the type of trees. Plus, the southern/southwest part of the state is not as good as the southeast. 

They're out now in central MN, but they're very small. I'm not checking again for a week because I'm more likely to step on them than find them.  And if someone scoops me and grabs a bag of 2.5'' morels, more power to him/her.

Looking at the weather forecasts for the next week or two, I believe we may be shaping up for a nice long morel season in southern Minnesota this year. :cool:

Here in east-central Iowa, the rain may have arrived just in time to make something of mushroom season. We had been very dry the last few weeks. I plan on checking some of my early season spots around Iowa City and Cedar Rapids this weekend.

I found nothing in my old spot here in Johnson County, Iowa, this morning.

This general area was gold from the early 2000s through 2009 or 2010, and then it dropped off a cliff in terms of morel production. I have a few spots there that still produce early, usually the last few days of April. Nothing there today.

Maybe the cold spell pushed them back a bit, or maybe it was dry for most of April here. I didn't see any sign of anyone else having beat me any early grays, but who knows?

I will probably try once more down here later this week, and then I will wait until they big yellows are up in Fillmore County.

I've found a few big yellows the past couple days down here between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, Iowa. Things should be wrapping up here soon.

I am still liking the way morel season is shaping up in southeast Minnesota. I think the rain arrived just a little too late for east central Iowa, but just right for ground a hundred miles or more north of here.

5-5-2016 Solon Morels (1).JPG

5-5-2016 Solon Morels (2).JPG