• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkely vs Rapala

Hossienda

Question

I am just wondering what experiences others have had in using the Berkely Gary Roach walleye series rod and the Rapala Tournament series.
I spoke with a gentleman at a baitstore and he just raved about the rapala. I have always fished the Berkely line, and recently received a Roach model. Mainly I am wondering what others think of these two, and what price range you have seen them in.
Thanks for the help,

Hossienda

15 answers to this question

I fish the Rapala rods, and they are fantastic rods. I use the sportsmen series but the tourney series is a higher end model so must be a little better than the one i am using right now. But i have had nothing but good experiences with the rapala rods

------------------
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I own 2 Rapala Long Cast Series, Musky Rods, I have no complaints with them, I bought them last year and fished with them all year, nice rods for the money. I bought these cause I wasn't sure I wanted to get serious about fishing Musky. Well let me put it to you this way, 2 bought 2 St.Croix Musky rods this winter, I guess I'm pretty serious :P. But like I said for the money they are great rods, light and durable.

I own 4 Berkley Gary Roach rods. Not the Gary Roach Lightning rods, but the IM6 walleye rods with the tapered handle. I like the longer handles. They are a good jigging and light rigging rod. I paid 59.99 for them. I also have an IM7 and IM8 Gander rod, which are a bit more sensitive, and a few more dollars. Never used a Rapala rod but I have not had any problems with the Berkely's. If you have the money, though don't hesitate to check out the G-Loomis walleye series or IMX series rods for walleye. They are in a class by themselves. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 03-07-2003).]

Sadly that isn't always correct. There really are only a handful of factories overseas that are making the rods. Your Loomis blank comes off the same line as the Rapala rods, etc. The only ways they can spice up a rod and increase the overall cost to them is with better eyes or handles. So basically the components in an IM8 Gander Rod and an IM8 Loomis really doesn't amount to the +$300 that will make up the difference. Just my .02 with a little extra whipped cream on top.

I have no idea, but sure it is possible that all the rod blanks whether it be Gloomis, St.Croix, Rapala, Fenwick,Berkley, and or anyone else are coming for the same handful of factories. But if you have ever looked at the cost of high-end guides they can get real spendy. Sure you can get cheap ones that get nicked up real easy or you can get good ones that stand the test of time and are more durable. Line guides are important, if they are junk and nick easily, you will forever problems with your line, it will fray thus reducing the quality of the line and possibly losing that trophy fish. I believe that a quality Rod also has tested guide spacing, creating a better backbone for the rod, this is can mean the difference between snapping/breaking a rod on a hook set or driving the hook home for a successful catch. I think that it is true you get what you pay for, especially in a fishing rod.

Just my $0.02…

jpz, I got this directly from G-Loomis. So indeed you get what you pay for.

"Michael, All of our rods are manufactured here at the factory in Woodland, WA. Each rod goes through numerous ( approx. 50) different steps in the process. Our machinery was custom built by Gary Loomis himself. Many of the processes are hand done. As far as 'other' rods being manufactured here. We have a very large facility so there are a few companies that have their blanks & rods made here but it is with their own designs, patterns & specifications."

Good to hear. I did forget that our Reps have told me of going to the Loomis plant and "playing". My bad. Of course I also remembered the Shimano V-Series are made in the Loomis plant. So that is 2 being made in the US. Yeah, had a minor Brain-fart please excuse. I must be dillusional because I can actually see Trout opener.

Tight Lines,

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 03-10-2003).]

I have a Gary Roach trooling/planer rod that I use for trolling and love it. It is 7+ feet long, kinda stiff, but the length makes it a forgiving rod when playing the fish!
I put a line counter reel on this rod and Fireline (14lb.test) and man talk about a sensitve rod for trolling!
You can feel when your lure is fouled up right away so you don't drag weeds all around. And when you do feel you get fouled I just snap the rod and the fireline cuts off any weed that you encounter.
Also the length of this rod gives you a wide sweep to both sides of the boat.
Give me that rod, #5 blue/silver shad rap, and I know there will be walleyes in my livewell!
Good Luck!! shocked.gif

I've got a 6.5 ft Gary Roach medium action lightning rod. I think its called the professional series or something. It was like 50 bucks or so and it's IM7. I can't say I like it much. I don't like the action (taper, bend, whatever you want to call it.) I think this is more of a personal preference issue than a quality issue though. The rod in my opinion is not real sensitive and does not have much backbone for a medium action. it seems like the tip is fairly stiff, but like a foot down from the tip there is a hell of a lot of bend, and then a little too much bend and flimsyness in the bottom half of the rod. I am used to medium-fast actions, and i dont know what id call this, but not fast. I do like a softer action some situations, but I'd rather use a decent glass rod in those situations than this thing. I guess I just don't like it.
My buddy has a Rapala 6.5 ft medium or medium light that I've used a few times. I think it was like 70 bucks or so? I like it a lot for live bait rigging. This one has a little slower action too, but I just like the feel way better than the lightning rod- it's what a medium taper should be.
The best rod I ever got for under 80 bucks was a ****** ******** guide series IM8.