• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody starting their plants yet???

Have some of those Baggert maters that supposedly handle cool temps, will be starting them tonight. Started some greens yesterday, in peat pellets, but am planning on setting out as soon as they germinate. Put black plastic down to thaw/heat the beds am putting them in. Uncovered some overwintered onions and carrots yesterday....still green today. Game on I guess.

I start some of my tomato plants right from seed out in the garden, plus have many plants that come up as volunteers. They have no problem catching up to indoor started plants by mid July. 

I still buy a few new varieties and old favorites from the greenhouse. 

Compared to trying grow tomatoes in Hovland, even with a cold frame, there is nothing to it in the suburbs! 

One year it got down to 28f the morning of June 21st which ended right there my Hovland tomato growing experimentation!

8 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Have some of those Baggert maters that supposedly handle cool temps, will be starting them tonight. Started some greens yesterday, in peat pellets, but am planning on setting out as soon as they germinate. Put black plastic down to thaw/heat the beds am putting them in. Uncovered some overwintered onions and carrots yesterday....still green today. Game on I guess.

The carrots get sweeter I believe??? How about the onions??

2 hours ago, jmd1 said:

25000 acres of upland cotton going in soon.  Need this cool spell to move on and put water to it next week  

That's a whole mess of cotton, wow!!! Hopefully ya get a bumper crop!!! (I couldn't think of a cool pun to replace bumper crop with)

Yeah, something almost magical with root crops and cold temps.....even something like parsnips and turnips......really do taste good after cold weather. Don't know the science behind it though. Have always had good success with overwintering small late summer/fall planted onions, carrots are carp shoot. This last mild winter was a bonus......

8 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Yeah, something almost magical with root crops and cold temps.....even something like parsnips and turnips......really do taste good after cold weather. Don't know the science behind it though. Have always had good success with overwintering small late summer/fall planted onions, carrots are carp shoot. This last mild winter was a bonus......

Does over wintering the onions help with flavor at all? Or is just "cold storage?"

Its more of a jumpstart on the growing season. Most  bulbs kind of freeze out and get mushy, but roots and tops survive and take right off creating a new bulb relatively quickly and will be harvesting big thick green onions relatively soon.

21 hours ago, lovebigbluegills said:

The carrots get sweeter I believe??? How about the onions??

That's a whole mess of cotton, wow!!! Hopefully ya get a bumper crop!!! (I couldn't think of a cool pun to replace bumper crop with)

That is just we contract grow for our one facility.  Does not include the other 2 facilities and dealers that grow seed for us.  We brought in roughly 30,000 tons this fall for spring process back into clean seed.  

I got 95 various peppers up and growing and about 48 tomatoes just starting to emerge. I will transplant them into dixie cups when they get too big for the starter pots. It's a bit of work but I like them pretty big when I put them in the garden.

I'm fixin' to think about commencing to thinkin' about getting ready to get some vine crop transplants started. Have to bribe my little fat buddy with some Chinese food some night and I think we can come to an agreement. If not, I'll start them myself. :P

I have some peppers to be transplanted but am going to wait a little bit to plant. I think this year I am going to transplant some raspberries from my grandparents farm to my garden.