• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish breading

I'm curious to find out what everybody's favorite fish breading is. In my college years we always used a cup of flour, cup of corn meal and a sleeve of saltine crackers crushed up and our favorite seasonings. Now my favorite is Andys red. Anybody have any secret breading they would like to share?

There's a couple of brands - one I think you can only get a the Sportshows - that have the eggs in the mix so you just need a damp fillet and you get good, consistent bread coating.  That's what I've been using lately - skips the egg wash step and it's very tasty.

My favorite is Sturdiwheat 10,000 Lakes.  Sometimes I add a little Panko for some crunch.  A good friend likes crushed up Ritz crackers.  I am also going to try some finely crushed Dot's Pretzels.

When I want to enjoy the flavor of the fish:

Avoid the breading and cook the fish in a buttered skillet with Old Bay.  Yum.  :)

Another favorite is to butter up some tinfoil.  Add the fish, some chopped onion, few lemon wedges and lemon pepper.  Roll up the foil and grill until done.  About six minutes.  

my ultimate favorite is a fish and game breading made up in the deer river area by a guide, Charlie worwath I think. awesome. like fryin magic too.! with lemon pepper or alpine touch to finish it off!

For white fish, I season my fillets (salt, pepper & chili powder or just some complete seasoning), then  use a flour - egg wash - panko coating.  Then pan fry or cook on the grill on a piece of foil or a cast iron skillet.  The breading is really light and crunchy.

DSC05837JPGa.jpg

These generally go into my fish tacos

DSC05858JPGa.jpg

For my trout  & salmon, I still season the fillets directly, but I like a cornmeal based fish fry very lightly applied.  I saute them in olive oil, and after they come out of the skillet I de-glaze with a pat of butter and a good squeeze of lemon juice and then that mix is spooned over the fish on the platter.  This method is called  "salmon meuniere".  You can add parsley during the de-glazing too. 

I usually make my own, and my uber-picky kids love it. I haven't measured it in forever, so I would be guessing at amounts, but I use: flour, corn starch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, cayenne, and ginger. Nom nom nom.

1 minute ago, Boar said:

im current on Mckormiks beer batter.or shorlu ch beer batter, and i ad 2 table spoon of ranch powder 

no your not.......................you need fish to fry first bucko!!!!!!!!!!!:P:P told ya your ears should be burnin!!!!!!!!!!:D:lol:

Pooop, I hate these threads! To many recipes to try not enough fish in the freezer! :(

Been back and forth from Shore Lunch to Gary Roach's fish batter. I just kind of like a reg fish fry not all the Cajun flavored stuff.

Will have to try some of those listed. 

Andy's or Frying Magic as far as store bought.  LivingaDream,  I haven't soaked fish in milk but I think what it does is take the wild taste out of fish, much like milk does to venison.  My mother soaked venison in milk overnight and it took the wild taste out.  good luck.