• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ticks and deer droppings

Tom7227

Took the dogs out for a run in the east Metro.  Do snow left.  I got to wondering if I should have had tick juice on them.  Seems early but what do you think?

They also wanted to eat all the deer droppings the came across.  Seems gross to me.  Can it cause any harm to the dogs?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Almost every Lab (and other breeds) that we have had chowed down on moose and deer and even rabbit defecate.  WE may not like the habit and I suppose you CAN break them of it but I've given up! Ha Ha!  Maybe one of the truly serious trainers on here has a secret method. When you stop to think about it,   all those little nuggets are is processed vegetable matter......sorta like you or I munching a veggie bar.

I have never seen any sign that it has affected a dog but of course it might be possible to pick up some sort of intestinal parasite that way. Again, I have never seen any sign of it.

A much worse problem -which you won't face in your neighborhood -

is having your pal roll around in old rotting humpy and sockeye carcasses.  And then the &^%$# wants to get in the back of the truck!! Or thinking he wants to take on that big brown bear or worse yet tangle with a dog sled team to show them who's boss. Not to mention they sometimes think a bunch of wolves are their cousins and they want to run over and play with them.

My very harsh words have discourage those little habits.

Perhaps a real expert can tackle this for you. But I would not worry about the defecate dining.

I'm not promoting anything but did hit a home run with the Seresto collars last year.  I found zero ticks on three dogs all Spring/Summer and in the Fall since the collars were getting old I sprayed some stuff on them for the grouse season.  Anything that works is great.  

Edited by leechlake

http://www.kttc.com/story/31450472/2016/03/11/early-spring-brings-threat-of-ticks

On 3/11/2016 at 0:33 AM, monstermoose78 said:

The flea and tick pill seems like s God ides for me. Where does one find this pill?

I've used NexGard with good luck before, monstermoose...