• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blood Sausage

LOVE blood sausage the way my dad used to make it.  Basically made potato sausage and mixed pig blood with it.  So good fried up with some butter! !   Still remember a friend chugging a mayo jar half full of blood one time from  the fridge during a party in my younger days... lol   dad was not happy.. 

I honestly have never tried it.  My dad used to buy Blood & Tongue from the old Red Owl meat counter every now an then when I was a kid.  Seriously, they needed to hire a marketer for that stuff.  Call it something else, for the love of God.  Of course there was no mistaken what it as - you could easily tell it was big slices of beef tongue suspended in curdled blood.  I could never bing myself to try it but he loved it.

Now braunschweiger, on the other hand, I could eat all day.  Sliced thick on some white bread with mustard and onion-- BOY OH BOY!!!!

Man we made our own. That and liver wurst. OK sausage. Oh the good old days . take out blood sausage, go to the creamery in Richmond with a quart jar to get cream. Take bread dip in cream a bunch of sugar and enjoy. Know wonder I need bypass surgery.:cry:

I remember eating it when I was a kid with kraut.  It was simmered in a pan with homemade butter.  Used to be a Christmas treat along with eel.  I know Ambassador Sausage used to make it, but I haven't seen it around here lately.  I love that stuff.  Ya, and that blood and tongue was the best.  good luck.

We make modified version that we still call blood sausage. We boil the pork butts and use the water/juices instead of the blood, using all of the same ingredients and put the mixture in bread pans instead of casings, bake until the edges are browned, remove from pan then cool. To cook we slice off a piece and fry it.

12 minutes ago, rustysetter said:

We make modified version that we still call blood sausage. We boil the pork butts and use the water/juices instead of the blood, using all of the same ingredients and put the mixture in bread pans instead of casings, bake until the edges are browned, remove from pan then cool. To cook we slice off a piece and fry it.

could you share the complete recipe please? thx 

1 hour ago, rustysetter said:

Isn't that kinda like the Amish "Scrapple" they eat??

I believe you could still get beef blood by the gallon. I'm going to check into it and somewhere down the line I will make some.  I have never made blood sausage and that should bring back memories for me.  Would be a great gift for my parents especially.  good luck.

On 3/5/2016 at 8:21 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

could you share the complete recipe please? thx 

Eyeguy, letme know if you have any questions.

15 lbs of boneless pork butts boiled in water until fully cooked, save the water and juces for mixing in to the ingredients  (around 5 guarts) grind the cooked pork after its cooled.  

50 ounces of quick oatmeal

8 cups of flour

(5) quarts of the juice from boiling the pork butts

(2) .9 ounce cans of ground cloves

(2) .9 ounces can of ground allspice 

(4) tbsp of salt

(5) tbsp of peppper

Mix all the ingredients together in all large bowl or bin, after it is completely mixed, spoon it into well greased bread pans about 3/4 full and bake at 350 1 hour or until the edges are browned, remove from the bread pans before cool and place on drying or cooling racks. It is helpful to fry some before you bake it so you can make any seasoning adjustments according to taste.The salt and pepper should be adjusted to taste. After the loaves are cold slice off 3/8" or so thick pieces and fry both sides until browned. This goes very well with toast and eggs. This can obviously be adjusted down for smaller batches. I hope you like it not everyone does, it is and has been one of our family favorites for over 50 years. Good luck!