• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old school sausage recipes

As i start my journey into sausage making, I'm reminded of some the older recipes I tried as a kid. My dads family is German and my moms family is Czech. I can remember eating a Czech sausage called jaternice. As I grew older my favorite sausage was bohemian shorts which is a garlicky ring Bologna stuffed in these fat short casings. Every time I go thru grand forks we stop at lm meats and I can still purchase these sausages and reminds me of my younger years.  Hopefully as my skills progress I can duplicate these recipes. Any of you guys making the same recipes that has been passed down to you?

54 minutes ago, OLE77 said:

Kocian's Family Market in Bigfork make a lot of sausage. Jaternice is one. Bernie the founder of Kocian's would bring it to the firemen's Christmas party every year. Tried it once that was enough for me.

bigfork!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh boy that's close to my stompin grounds..........well about 35 miles.

I figured it wasn't a reimbursement Smurf but thought it would read better that way.  Heck they may even add some dollars back to your pay and you have to pay taxes on the 1% of the time you use the rig for personal use.  I'm jealous.

It's funny but even pork sausage seasoned with salt and pepper is pretty tasty.  And then the obvious adder at my hours... garlic.  Next come the signature spices to make it a breakfast flavor, an Italian, Mexican, Moroccan flavor or whatever.  I would wager that most every country in the world has some sort of sausage.

I have an old sausage book and I can get some recipe's on here.  They are from all over as I remember, and I haven't tried any yet.  I''ll look it over and see what I can find.  Sausage making is an adventure that never stops.  Don't get stuck on one or two.  You will try something new.  It's hard to think about wasting good meat at times doing this, but if your comfortable with the spices you see you can make a small batch and then expand on it.  Tweeking is part of this.  Be your own worst critic and then the rest comes easy.  good luck.

Head cheese..... Ah yes.  Back when I was in college at the U, I was the only one who knew any girls among my geek friends, since I was from St Paul not too far from the the U.  Anyways a bunch of us went sledding or something and then back to the house of one of the girls.  Her mother had set out a plate of cold cuts, including some head cheese.  There apparently had been some discussion or maybe even a bet whether anyone would eat the head cheese.... Then along I came.... MMMmm that looks good.  On the sandwich it went....

Jitternice (pronounced YIT-er-NIT-see) isn't head cheese, but yeah - lots of head meat and organs (at least traditionally) mixed with barely and spices.  It doesn't really bind together in the casing, it it's kind of a loose meat when you cut into it, but it's really tasty.

2 hours ago, IceHawk said:

We actually make our own. Only place close to the real thing was the meat market in Eden valley and now they quit making it. A little vinegar in a jar to dip it in yum!

Wasn't that a plantenberb too? Yea pops made his own to. Till the pressure cooker blew.