• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinnerbait Brands

MN BassFisher

We've had this conversation before Mitch. I am in the same boat as you. I use the Terminator T1s mostly but do have some War Eagles. I went with the war eagles a few years ago and initially loved them but after a few fish the part of the head where the wire goes in starts to get bigger and bigger causing the wire to move a lot. 

On the other hand the Terminators seem a littler more durable but their split rings that hold the blades on are junk. I also had the titanium wire break right at the head on several of these. I lost a monster fish down on El Salto this year due to the wire breaking. I was not happy. I set the hook into this fish and immediately knew it was a big fish and it started pulling drag and then the wire broke. I don't know which route to go now. 

I use mostly Northland ones. I tried other ones, but seemed to come back to these. For $3 or less they seem to hold up better than some a little more spendy. I tried some Booyah ones and the wire bent alot or they just didn't run straight. I use a snap swivel usually, so I also like ones that have a closed loop. Never tried many over $5 bucks as I have a hard time paying alot for a boring old white or chart. spinnerbait!  I mostly fish them shallow, but I suppose if I fished them deeper, I would need to buy some of the spendier ones.

Same as others mentioned.....started with a lot of Northland Reed-runners....migrated to some Terminators. Last year Cabelas had a clearance bin of Sebile spinners which I really liked, ended up not grabbing any which I regret, expensive at retails price but with the clearance I should have grabbed at least one.

4 hours ago, bassfshin24 said:

We've had this conversation before Mitch. I am in the same boat as you. I use the Terminator T1s mostly but do have some War Eagles. I went with the war eagles a few years ago and initially loved them but after a few fish the part of the head where the wire goes in starts to get bigger and bigger causing the wire to move a lot. 

I had that happen on several of my War Eagles last year actually.

4 hours ago, CaughtABuzz said:

Same as others mentioned.....started with a lot of Northland Reed-runners....migrated to some Terminators. Last year Cabelas had a clearance bin of Sebile spinners which I really liked, ended up not grabbing any which I regret, expensive at retails price but with the clearance I should have grabbed at least one.

Did the Sebile spinnerbaits look like this? These actually look pretty interesting!

Sebile-Pro-Shad-Natural-Tilapia.jpg

Yep...cant remember if they had the double blades in the bin but I really like the paint job and color scheme included with the blades......I am addicted to buying new fishing lures and I even had them in my hand, as I walked away I talked myself out of relapsing and put them back which was probably the first time I have ever done this.....totally regret it

Terminators and war eagle as above, ordered a few Ganns and Molix over the winter. They both seem to have a quality feel to them and pass the eye test, hopefully they will pass the bass test. 

I had Chris, when he was doing Northstar make me some larger single willow leaf spinnerbaits also, kind of one of my fall go to baits

Edited by Todd S.

Love spinner baits especially in fall. 1/2 oz Booyah with a 4" Hollow Belly Swimbait trailer has been very good to me. I prefer 3/4oz for T1... the 1/2 oz for me is a little limiting... runs high and I am uncomfortable to reel it slow enough to get depth when I want a little. For me, the downside of T1 is the gap between hook and blade is narrower so blades and hooks get tangled a bit . And since it is titanium, it's hard to adjust the gap size.... at least i haven't found a way.  I like the higher-end Strike Kings too. That two tier skirt has great action (no trailer needed) plus it has a trailer hook which is a big plus.  From my experience, they all break/fall apart, funny thing is Northland probably is one of  most durable and cheapest but I  like the colors and designs on the others better. Probably a case of "catching the fisherman" vs the fish.

Many of mine are Strike King, and they have served me well, but lately started using  Peters brand. Come in some colors I love! I do change out the double willow to a colorado  and willow, and make changes to the skirts, making some of them look similar to a blue gil. Northern and bass love them! 

Ruddy duck. Cut some pcs. of small  tubing ( plastic or rubber) about a 1/8 in long. Then you can slide one over the open end of a spinner bait, keeping your swivel/ leader in place.

These days I tend to throw swim jigs in situations where I used to throw a spinnerbait to the point where I only carry a small handful anymore until fall. In the clear water I fish, if I use a spinnerbait I usually want it going fast, so I do like the Strike King Burners. The narrow double willows make it easier to burn a bait without it blowing out. 

Come fall I slow roll a big single willow a fair amount, and I do like the Ledgebusters for that. Or bigger tandems that I just clip the front blade off of. For fall though, I use twin spins quite a bit and they're kind of a whole 'nother deal.

Ruddy - the other thing you can do with R-bend spinnerbaits so you can use a leader is put a split ring over the eye before you clip the leader on. Works pretty good...

I'll have to try the rubber/tubing trick. I suppose if you get the right size it will stay on the bait. I have tried the split ring idea and it does work. Only thing I don't like about those is, I loose half of the split rings when going between bait styles. Oh well, that's my fault! At least they are cheap.

Thanks for the tips.

Edited by RuddyDuck

I use the Northland ones with the single Colorado blade alot. Works for me, but they don't come in any fancy colors and I think they max out at 3/8oz. Who needs anything other than white anyways!  I know what you mean, seems like most of the higher end ones are all Willow leave blades. I tried a Booyah colorado blade once, but that thing never ran right.

8 hours ago, GeluNumber1 said:

I swear, I just can't catch a bass on a spinnerbait. I've caught dozens of Pike on them, but only one bass. 

Keep throwing it man. It is one of my go to baits. I always have on tied on. I had a good day on the river last week with a double colorado blade spinnerbait.