• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just checking in.  Surprised there is only one 2016 comment.  Mankato area is seeing sap according to locals.  Heading north to Little Falls area to tap the sugar bush today.  I am guessing there has been a light run here and there, but thinking/hoping a big run is coming in the next week or two.  What are the rest of you sappers seeing?

I noted a couple of my yard silvers leaking out of wounds on the 19th when it warmed up some. I tapped a small one right next to them and it was dry, and was still dry yesterday. My partner tapped a walnut in her yard and was geting sap yesterday. 

I will probably hold off tapping my sugars until the 8th, judging by the weather forecasts. Switching over to homemade PVC sack holders and bags this year. No more jug cleaning for this guy :)

That's good news.  My Little Falls page is east-southeast of you.  If you have sap, I likely do too.  Keep the reports coming Gissert.  I set one lone tap around Mankato yesterday morning for fun and some drinking water.  Sap didn't drip, it poured out.  Probably had 2 gallons by evening.  Interested to check it when I get home from work.

Went out this morning and the bags had not done much. Been hanging at 28 degrees all day which I hope will hit the reset button. Finished 3.75 of lovely Grade A light fancy last night. Hardly any niter in the pan or filters. Rand another 75 gallons thru and have that reduced to about 3.5. Looks like another batch of light.

In another slowdown again. Hopefully these freezes will get them going again. So far I have finished 15.25 gallons with an overall sap to syrup ratio of 41:1. Finished 5 gallons yesterday that was 32:1 - never had sap that good before.

Strange year for me.  Switched from one pan on a turkey fryer to wood and cinder blocks.  I tried to order a Mason hobby evaporator but got my order in to late for him to get one to me.  The trees looked like they were budding so I pulled the taps earlier than I should have and missed a couple of weeks.  Only made a couple of gallons this year.  Too little made this year to bother filtering so I have a lot of niter in some of the jars but we do not really care.  Learned a very important lesson - do not put your setup right next to the lake.  That lake comes up every year when the ice goes out.  Looking forward to next year.

evap_i.jpg

evap_ii.jpg

syrup.jpg