• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bought my son a 887 in september. It has the armor lock coating in the first month the coating wearing off.

I mean any edge the of the gun (around the trigger guard, around the barrel, 4 arm) you get the idea. 

He also has had gaming issues. I called remington today about sending it in for repair. The guy that I talked to

said the gun has been discontinued and all parts pulled from the shelves. 

He also said that the coating will wear over time that is something I did not want to hear what is this thing going 

to look like in 5 or 10 years.

They are sending me a box to have it shipped to them. After doing some reading on the gun I don't know if I want it back.

The gun shop was no help. they said call remington.

any tips on dealing with them? 

there is a recall on the firing pin for some models based on serial number so I assume that's why it's being sent in.  

I would separate that issue from the Armor that is wearing off.  They've acknowledge the recall of the firing pin which is all fine and dandy but the wearing off issue is what needs to be discussed and "it's normal over time" isn't acceptable and if it is over time doesn't mean one season.  Be nice but firm.  It never hurts to say "I'm not happy, make me happy."

I'm 48 and got a 20 gauge Remington 1100 when I was 12.  Used it a ton and it looks near brand new with no wear anywhere.  Guns don't wear especially non-wood parts, especially with normal use of hunting.

Buy a nice late model 12 Winchester and forget your problems.  Nothing says everybody has to run out and buy a NEW gun.  One of my favorite shotguns was made in 1937 and is still as tight as a bankers fist! A nice Mod 37 Ithaca will last longer than you will.   Same with a nice old Remington pump gun.

We just GOTTA get out of this newer is better fantasy!

Or whatever you want.

2 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Buy a nice late model 12 Winchester and forget your problems.  Nothing says everybody has to run out and buy a NEW gun.  One of my favorite shotguns was made in 1937 and is still as tight as a bankers fist! A nice Mod 37 Ithaca will last longer than you will.   Same with a nice old Remington pump gun.

We just GOTTA get out of this newer is better fantasy!

Or whatever you want.

How do the old guns stand up to steel shot?

It is not recommended and for  the truly old guns.......like my old Parker doubles.  You have to use one of the new loads  and they are not cheap. But really, how many rounds does a guy shoot in a season. And I always figure it's just part of the sport.

Now, I realize that suggesting people buy nice old guns does not fly in today's world but I always have hope. And a good solid used shotgun or rifle or pistol will last a long time. And there are plenty of solid and dependable contemporary guns on the used gun racks that WILL handle steel.

And I totally understand wanting to buy a young boy a new first gun!!

Every time I go the the annual fall threshing show and hear all the old machines clanking and grinding and growling and spitting and hissing it reminds me of those old semi-auto shotguns.

When my aged grandfather had to give up his 10 gauge 32" barreled Parker he ended up with an A-5.  He was never the same man again.  But he could still shoot like Annie Oakley.It was rumored he was one of the reasons the bluebills and cans altered their migratory route just escape having to get past him to go south.

well I heard from remington today. They offered to exchange the 887 for a 870 supermag. 

I'm not to sure  if that is what to think of it. we didn't want 887 back but now I have been read about the super mag that has the same jamming problems that the 887 has had.  This only the super mag I could not find anything about jamming with the expres. what is the difference between the super mag and the expres besides 3" to 31/2"?   

Star-  I think if you research anything enough you will find you can read all sorts of negative stuff.  I'm not a pump guy but even I  have an 870 and have a ton of friends who used them over the years.  I've never ever heard of an issue of any type with an 870 unless it was user error pumping.  I'd wager there's  a ton of guys who owned one shotgun their whole life and it was an 870.  Go for it.

1 hour ago, fishingstar said:

well I heard from remington today. They offered to exchange the 887 for a 870 supermag.

I'm not to sure  if that is what to think of it. we didn't want 887 back but now I have been read about the super mag that has the same jamming problems that the 887 has had.  This only the super mag I could not find anything about jamming with the expres. what is the difference between the super mag and the expres besides 3" to 31/2"?  

My sons 870 will jam when using 3 1/2". I found this out using it Goose hunting one time. :(

But, when you are trying to pump out 3 1/2" hotdogs out of a gun it's a long stroke to clear them smoothly.

Traded in an 870 for a Winchester SXP and love it.   Lighter, fits right, and has a good choke tube system right out of the box.   So far no problems.   Will probably trade my last 870 for another one this year.