• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Schwinn AirDyne Bike

Ufatz

Have heard many good things about these and now they have a new one.  I believe they used to have them in my raquet club.  Theory is you work out most your big fat flabby body on one of these....thus dropping the 200 pounds you need to lose.

What do ya'li slim and trim guys think?

Are we talking the stationary bikes with the fans?

Personally, I hate anything stationary. I like a change of scenery. That's why I either walk or jog.

As far as weight loss is concerned, I suppose they would work when combined with muscle building and portion control.

Exercise is good for health.  Seems to not do much for weight loss.  There is a thought that lifting weights helps by building muscle and thereby increasing basal metabolism, not sure that it has been verified. 

Eating less and perhaps differently is most effective.  

Advantage of a home exercise device is that it is convenient.

Portion control!?   Portion control?

Is that like having only one beer a night?

Ha Ha Ha.   Yes, peddle yer arse on the bike,   eat oatmeal for breakfast (one cup)   eat cottage cheese for lunch (.05 cup) and filet with Brussels sprouts for dinner.

They are good devices and right outside the door on the deck where I can reach my Uzi if I have to.

Cant out work a bad diet.  You start there and the results in the gym will come.  

Separate home from your workout. you will be WAY more consistent.  Only with consistency are you going to see any change as well.  

The only "theory" you need to go by is eating healthy and sweat.

On 3/8/2016 at 3:46 PM, DrJuice1980 said:

Cant out work a bad diet.  You start there and the results in the gym will come.  

This bears repeating.

This is also why you see the same people bouncing on treadmills everyday at the gym but remain fat as ever

On the other hand, exercising allows you to eat a reasonable amount of food. 

Look at http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

When I put in my parameters and selected "sedentary", it said I could eat 1700 calories per day to maintain my weight.   1200 to lose one pound a week.   That isn't very much food.   So being active helps having to be on the "no food" diet.

19 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

This is also why you see the same people bouncing on treadmills everyday at the gym but remain fat as ever

Or pass them on the same road each day, walking and running, day after day, year after year to achieve no result. 

15 hours ago, delcecchi said:

They have improved their cardiovascular fitness as well as other measures of well being.  Would they be better off sedentary?

No.

But a good part of why people seek to be physically fit is to look it

They need to be consistent enough to adapt to change, also giving their body proper nutrition to facilitate adaptation is required.  Its part 2 thats their Achilles heel.  The idea that just putting on a pair of sneakers and running a couple miles for health is a pretty uneducated stance.  It comes down to amounts, times, kinds, etc.  SO MANY people think that their "idea" somehow out weights reality because they have convinced themselves "its better than nothing" when in reality, its just the same as nothing.

1 hour ago, DrJuice1980 said:

They need to be consistent enough to adapt to change, also giving their body proper nutrition to facilitate adaptation is required.  Its part 2 thats their Achilles heel.  The idea that just putting on a pair of sneakers and running a couple miles for health is a pretty uneducated stance.  It comes down to amounts, times, kinds, etc.  SO MANY people think that their "idea" somehow out weights reality because they have convinced themselves "its better than nothing" when in reality, its just the same as nothing.

So just to be clear, you are saying some exercise is of no value because the person somethow isn't doing it right or eating the special diet?    Might as well sit on the couch and watch house hunters? 

That what you are saying?

I dont know what "house hunters is", sounds like wasted time.  Also no where was laziness condoned in that message.  If you are not going to eat to support the activity then all you are doing is adding stress that your body cant manage.  Probably the same amount of stress induced by sitting on a couch eating corn or potato chips (yes you are creating stress by not creating a need for that food, there is no need for doritos or fritos). "SAME AS NOTHING"  What I am saying is, if you are going to want to adapt to change you must give your body the requirements for change to occur.  Adding a 2 mile jog, run, walk, and not changing certain habits to support that will offer little in any for results.

You love to put a spin on things dont you?  I guess its just the times we live in, the "persuasive spin game."

Bobby bit on it...

Edited by DrJuice1980

Del, there is an art to movement that I am sure you have not come close to mastering or even comprehend, for that matter.  "Let's take this horrible running gate into a 3 mile daily "jog" while not changing anything with my diet to support the task."   How is health being improved in this situation?  This does classify as exercise to you, does it not? Go through blowing out a knee for your idea of what "exercise" is OR stress the heck out of your body by not being able to support activities or recover from.  Make sense?

Rebel, way to add "maintained"  you must maintain proper nutrition to maintain the demands of exercise while maintaining proper form. 

Juice, I think you meant "running gait" not gate.  And yes, my contention is that exercising is better than not exercising, independent of diet.   And I am not going to just take your word for it not being true.  

Much of the "diet wisdom" and "exercise wisdom" on various exercise and body building sites is not supported by science.  

Naturally maintaining a healthy weight is better than not doing so. 

1 hour ago, DrJuice1980 said:

Del, there is an art to movement that I am sure you have not come close to mastering or even comprehend, for that matter.  "Let's take this horrible running gate into a 3 mile daily "jog" while not changing anything with my diet to support the task."   How is health being improved in this situation?  This does classify as exercise to you, does it not? Go through blowing out a knee for your idea of what "exercise" is OR stress the heck out of your body by not being able to support activities or recover from.  Make sense?

Rebel, way to add "maintained"  you must maintain proper nutrition to maintain the demands of exercise while maintaining proper form. 

And continuing to maintain a thread that is gaining little other than sustaining a personal viewpoint may be moot, it appears. By the way, if you were talking about walking "gate", it's spelled "gait". Just wanted to maintain things. Continue on, gentleman!  :)

Hypocrisy in your own post, way to go!   

Wasn't this an information sharing page?  Just wanted to share some.  Unfortunately your post added none to the discussion.  

Try to be less self righteous and more about adding to discussion next time.

And give me something to think about that may alter my view point instead of adding empty statements such as "Doing somethings better than nothing."  Dont be a simpleton

It's called a personal viewpoint, just like your's just was. And your insight. Discussion just didn't seem to be gaining much information along the way to me.. Again, just  my viewpoint.  Ignore this if you wish and move on.