• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Leaning at Low Speed

Hoey

I have a 2011 621 Ranger with a 300 Yamaha.  At speeds between 10 and 30 mph, the boat leans noticeably heavy to the right.  The boat sits perfectly level when not moving.  It level out  at speeds over 30 mph or so.  My kicker is on the left.  I have moved all the heavy stuff like anchors and whatnot to the left side compartments.  I have adjusted the little wing behind the prop a bit.  Took it into the dealer to have the skeg straighten-out as it was a little bent.  Nothing seems to resolve the issue.  The dealer does not have any ideas on the root cause.  When I bought it used last spring, the dealer replaced the damaged prop with a Mercury prop and hub kit.  

I shared this story with a BASS Pro the other day.  He right away said to change out the prop to something more stock-like and go to a lower pitch.  So would/could the prop be the root cause of this lean?

I wonder if his trim tab AND gear case is a bit skewed out of parallel , as it sounds like previous person whonked something hard.... but then, it straightens out at higher RPM's...I'm thinkin' we have two things playing into it here. Pulling to the side is one thing, but tilting is another ballgame. Sounds like some really good rotational torque twist. I'm stumped. Just shootin' stuff out there...I think I'd also straight edge that hull along your strakes from  bow to stern. It's a lot like a frame in a race car; when your torque flexes the frame at WOT, if it's not true and strong enough, frame flexing/twist pulls you slightly over and in that direction on the track. Good luck.

Edited by RebelSS

This sounds pretty odd for a big heavy glass boat. Your kicker is not dragging water when you take off or anything?

Maybe give Ranger a call to see if they have had reports of others with the issue? I agree with Rebel and as I stated this still sounds like some kind of torque issue. If it was a hull design issue where the boat is falling off step at a certain speed you would think a lot of guys would be beotching about that by now. :confused:

Also I'm wondering if some trim tabs may not help?  See video.

l_621vs_12.jpg

Edited by leech~~

I more or less go along with the comments above-something is not right with that hull. I definitely would call Ranger and have a chat with them.  That is a quality and expensive boat and should NOT have an annoying problem like that.

IF I understand the situation as you describe it I would be inclined to very carefully examine the keel.

I'm wonder if that boat had a high speed bash and was repaired? More I think about it, less sense it's making. A pro needs to look at that hull and keel, gotta agree with the other guys her. No using putzing around with this one.

A normally propped boat will want to lean to the right a bit, unless you have counter-rotating prop/props. If it wanted to lean left, he'd have some big probs. :lol:  I'm still going with trim tabs/alignment issues.

I agree with the comments about checking the hull bottom strightness!  A strong list to the right, would indicate to me your hull will have a upward "bow" 2 to 4 feet forward of the transom.

I agree, it never hurts to contact the manufacturer.

OK thanks for the input and feedback.  Just left a message at Ranger - dang I'd prefer to talk to someone there as they will call back (if they do) while I am in a meeting.  

WRT to the lower unit trim tab - I have usually considered this a correction factor of prop torque that impacts steer-ability.  Which way to turn it to lift the right side of the boat, angled back to left?

I inspected the hull prior to purchase.  I will do this again, in low light conditions with a flashlight along the hull, keel, and strake.

The prop is right handed, single rotation with power steering.  The dealer has followed up with me indicating they will do anything they can regarding a different prop setup.  

Keep us informed!!! really want to know how you come out! Hope it's some silly overlooked thing.....as far as trim tab, always move in direction boat goes, ie; move trailing edge of trim tab to right if boat pulls right.

Edited by RebelSS

Well Ranger returned my call this morning, two minutes prior to an appointment for a tooth repair that was needed following a re-root-canal.  

I also copied my OP onto their page customer into form last night.  Which they responded to this morning and am in the process of convincing Ranger techs that this is not normal and not related to the boat being overloaded on the right side by the driver.  

17 hours ago, Ufatz said:

I thought of that but finally concluded it would be cruel and snarky to suggest that.   Just because we are all jealous of anybody who has a Ranger boat.

Yar Craft owner  here not jealous in the least !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just for the record ....lol

Update - In contact with a Tech from Ranger.  He has asked that I call him prior to my first outing this year.  He was talking about (tilt) trim adjustments.  I am not too confident in that, but I will follow-up.

Stopped by the stored boat last weekend.  Got the numbers off the prop for the dealer.  I was not able to crawl underneath to inspect the hull since there is two feet of snow around and under it.  

On 2/27/2016 at 7:00 PM, delcecchi said:

If you set a level on the floor of the boat while it is just floating

Done that - it is level in the harbor.  Even tried to do this while traveling.  It only indicated what I already knew.  

Update.  I went down one bolt hole on the motor.  Sure seems to have leveled things out.  I told the dealer that I was going to run this way for a while to see for sure that the problem is solved.  If this does not fully resolve it then we are going to a different prop.  Here is a photo of the backyard adjustment.  

Just about everyone I talked to including Ranger, the dealer, my auto mechanic, a BassPro guy, all indicated it was due to prop torque.  It seemed to me that if you had a clockwise rotation (viewed from rear) that would want to lift the right hand side, not drop it.  

IMG_3432.JPG