• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Reinhard....

RebelSS

RH, how do they make these guys? They taste just like ham.....and are full of juice. I just found 2 pkgs in the bottom of the freezer from last May, all frosted over and pretty freezer bit. (I didn't rewrap these in butcher paper...got a pile of them on special at $1 a pkg) I eat 'em when I'm in a hurry, just 'wave em and go. Good for bfast with eggs too, just like a big piece of ham. Was just wondering how they "make" these......'cause they're more ham than pig chop to me.

0037600177900_CF_hyvee_default_large.jpe

Weight Watchers has a splurge day or something close to it.  The theory being is that if you don't get a day off every once in a while you will bail on the diet so it's better than that.  I know that if I try to lose weight and follow my own plan I end up starving with low blood sugar and diving into the pantry head first and blowing the whole days efforts on that.

I think corn syrup is one of those bad ingredients that the body doesn't work with very well that's in a lot of processed foods.  Great one to avoid in jelly, dressings, and bottled sauces.  

Good work RH, may rub off on all of us.

I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong place, my bad Reb

Edited by leechlake

Ya Kris, the corn syrup is a culprit used in a lot of the processed sausage and other things along with the things you mentioned.  Reb,  Those are smoke pork chops.  They are brined with cure just like a ham.  If I bought a bone-in pork loin and put it in my Pop's brine for 10 to 12 days, I would get the exact same results [only better because it would be home smoked].  Your looking at the same thing like the Canadian Bacon we have been making here, only with the bone still on.  Doesn't sound like they are edible to me.  If you got them at a buck a pack means you bought them close dated.  I would dump them.  good luck.

1 hour ago, reinhard1 said:

Ya Kris, the corn syrup is a culprit used in a lot of the processed sausage and other things along with the things you mentioned.  Reb,  Those are smoke pork chops.  They are brined with cure just like a ham.  If I bought a bone-in pork loin and put it in my Pop's brine for 10 to 12 days, I would get the exact same results [only better because it would be home smoked].  Your looking at the same thing like the Canadian Bacon we have been making here, only with the bone still on.  Doesn't sound like they are edible to me.  If you got them at a buck a pack means you bought them close dated.  I would dump them.  good luck.

Krap. There went my supper. Oh well, at a $1.......thanks RH. That was kinda why I asked too. Sometimes trying save a buck by grabbing bargains doesn't always work out. Ya do what ya haveta, I guess. Hmmmm....HEY! I can have some chili sausages tonite......;) :P

Edited by RebelSS

On 2/17/2016 at 8:33 AM, RebelSS said:

RH, how do they make these guys? They taste just like ham.....and are full of juice. I just found 2 pkgs in the bottom of the freezer from last May, all frosted over and pretty freezer bit. (I didn't rewrap these in butcher paper...got a pile of them on special at $1 a pkg) I eat 'em when I'm in a hurry, just 'wave em and go. Good for bfast with eggs too, just like a big piece of ham. Was just wondering how they "make" these......'cause they're more ham than pig chop to me.

0037600177900_CF_hyvee_default_large.jpe

It looks like Hormel has cured and smoked the rib end of a pork loin, then sliced it into individual chops.  I use Buckboard cure on both loins and on chops.  A loin roast will take 6 days for curing, but chops in the 3/4 pound range only take 48 hours, then you need to allow time for a soak-out, then rest overnight and smoke the next day until the internal temp is 145° to 150°, here are a typical Buckboarded loin and chops.

DSC09657ac.jpg

DSC05027AB.jpg

Edited by thirdeye

59 minutes ago, thirdeye said:

It looks like Hormel has cured and smoked the rib end of a pork loin, then sliced it into individual chops.  I use Buckboard cure on both loins and on chops.  A loin roast will take 6 days for curing, but chops in the 3/4 pound range only take 48 hours, then you need to allow time for a soak-out, then rest overnight and smoke the next day until the internal temp is 145° to 150°, here are a typical Buckboarded loin and chops.

DSC09657ac.jpg

DSC05027AB.jpg

that's not very nice to post something like that first thing in the morning!!!!!:P ah gawd that looks awesome!!!!!

The local Fairway in my hometown in Iowa always has 1"thick smoked Iowa Chops and I always seem to come with enough for a couple meals (for 5)  after seeing the above post, I will have to try making my own soon.  I have made the buckboard bacon with both pork and venison, next time I will get some extra thick pork chops and brine em up!

21 minutes ago, picksbigwagon said:

The local Fairway in my hometown in Iowa always has 1"thick smoked Iowa Chops and I always seem to come with enough for a couple meals (for 5)  after seeing the above post, I will have to try making my own soon.  I have made the buckboard bacon with both pork and venison, next time I will get some extra thick pork chops and brine em up!

One of my markets has them, but they are over $6/lb.  Making your own is the way to roll.

10 minutes ago, thirdeye said:

One of my markets has them, but they are over $6/lb.  Making your own is the way to roll.

Fareway has those chops on sale for 1.88 lb. (not smoked) Can't beat that! Grab a bunch and smoke 'em up. 

Edited by RebelSS

Cubs has center cut chops [bone-in] for 1.99 lb.  I think I'll have a 5 or 6 pound bone-in center roast cut tomorrow and put it in a brine for 9 or 10 days and smoke it.   If you get a piece like that with the bone-in make sure they "chime" the back bone off so you can later cut them into chops.  Or just get the thick cut chops cut and brine them like Thirdeye stated above in his post.  good luck.