• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for gsp pup

Down2Earth

I'm in the market for a new pup my current GSP is getting old.   Price isn't much of an issue.  I'm just a guy hunting and not into trials or tests.  Looking for a good line.  I want a pup who's parents stay somewhat close, love water, good with kids, don't fight with other dogs, willing to jump right in the front seat with a stranger, dark brown eyes not yellow eyes, retrieves.  I do want a solid black or liver color.  Please feel free to ask me other questions.  Thanks for your help.

Thanks rundrave and Ufatz.  I'm not sure how hard it will be.  I just figured guys that know what their talking about could take my list and say yeah I think I have or know of some like this or stay away from this guy as he breeds dogs that run out 600yards.  Maybe just because they are bred like that you can train them to stay closer.  I wish I could just turn back the clock on my current GSP because he is what I listed above.  Now just because the parents have everything I'm looking for I know it doesn't mean the pup I happen to get will.  But I think the parents are a good place to start.  I have looked at sharp shooters web page thanks for the tip.  Distance doesn't really matter.  I would prefer to stay in Minnesota or the surrounding states as I want to see the parents in person.

Edited by Down2Earth

Honestly I think the color preference is going to limit you in your choices. I am not saying your going to get a better or worse dog, but research some good planned out lines of GSP's and put your deposit down and take your pick of the litter. Do your homework, watch the dogs work and throw out the color criteria and you wont be disappointed.

If you want to see some dogs work, lookup your closest NAVHDA chapter and see if you can watch some dogs work in some of the clubs training sessions. Lots of good GSP litters out there and a many of them don't come from guys that advertise in the big magazines etc either.

I don't know a darned thing about GSP or any breeders but I would assume that the GSP people are alot like the retriever people that i do know alot about. Very few people that I run, train, and hunt with buy puppy's from a "Breeder" breeders and kennels are in the business to breed and make money on there pups and not necessarily breeding to improve the breed. All of my puppys come from what I call hobby breeders that train and test there dogs and have a litter here and there to keep a puppy and hopefully improve the breed. That being said i would go watch a few NAVHDA events and ask around about up comming litters ect. Stay away from adds that start with "great hunting dogs" I say that because Peoples dogs are alot like there kids and just like everyone thinks there kid is the best it goes for dogs as well. There are a few retriever forumns that advertise the top of the line litters and i would guess that would be the case for pointers as well.

Don't mean to muddle the waters but I think there is some real confusion going on here regarding a "titled" dog and something else.  Are we talking about an AKC registered dog?  That does not mean a lot if you are looking for a dog bred for hunting. Sure,   it is NICE to have an AKC pedigree (is that what you mean, titled) but it does not automatically signal you are going to have  great hunting dog.

I think somebody here needs some serious guidance from somebody who knows what they need to know.

No offense.  I'm always on the side of the dog.

D2E, I judging by your first post, I can tell you firsthand your not going to want a field trial dog. They run big, and when I say that I mean they run big. I would  say they are not good for foot hunting upland game around here but that's just me a die hard pheasant guy in SD. Maybe for grouse that works in the woods but I dont hunt woods nor do I field trial my dogs.

I have however ran my dogs in the same brace many times with field trial dogs in AKC hunt tests for JH tests etc and seen them run in MH and SH. Both dogs ended up finding birds but I can tell you the judges on horseback were no where near each other the entire time. Does that make one better than the other, not at all. I let my GSP's range out but not near as far as those FT dogs do.

I think just about any handler could get most dogs to pass a NAVDHA NA test or an AKC JH test. Its really not hard to do if you get a good dog. Where it starts to take a serious training commitment is when you start looking at the NAVHDA Utility test and AKC MH and SH test.

Good luck in your search. And for the record I also would prefer to be spared of any more Pointing Lab talk.....please.

I think you're right rundrave.  I'm going to have some more conversations on the phone or in person first.  I just hope when I explain what I'm looking for these kennels will be honest and say yes I have what you're looking for or hey you know my dogs aren't going to be what you want but I know a guy.

Rundrave,. I know you're right about the JH title.  I read up on what it would take to get that and I know for a fact my current GPS could pass that.  I just don't want to make the time.  When I do have time I want to be hunting or fishing, but that is just me.  I know I'm wrong here and go against pretty much everyone in what a pointer should do, but my first dog when it went on point it wouldn't move no matter what and I would have to flush the bird up.  Well after getting sprayed by skunks enough with her I no longer prefer that method.  My current dog will go on point, wait for me and I say go and now if he wants to be pointing skunks at least I'm safe. :)

I have a 3 year old GSP from Willow Creek, black and white, who was trained at Sharp Shooter's kennel. He's a great hunter but definitely not a "close" working dog. Excellent with the family, loves water, etc. From what I've witnessed a lot of the dogs from both kennels are going to be fairly hard charging hunters but all in all great dogs. Personally I'd prefer to get my next dog from Clyde at Sharp Shooter's simply because they are a smaller operation and I really like their dogs and approach.

Just a thought, but if you're looking for something a little more "dialed back" and close working you may want to consider some other pointing breeds. I've got a female griffon pup as well and I can tell she'll fall more into the close working category. Good luck.

I'm not at all against hard charging I think.  Here is my definition of hard charging and close.  I usually hunt with about 2 to 3 guys.  I like my dog to be out about 50 to 60 yards but he is covering everything in front of everyone hunting.  When he ventures out to far 70-80 yards I just give a little whistle and he comes back, circles around and is back out.  I have no problem if he is running around like he was shot out of a cannon all day.  He has started to slow down this year hence the search.  However hunting cattails all day seems to slow even the cannon dogs down a bit :) 

8 hours ago, rundrave said:

And for the record I also would prefer to be spared of any more Pointing Lab talk.....please.

I agree if you want a pointer buy a pointer, if you want a retriever buy a retriever. They both are breed to do what there breed does, and to say that a lab can cover ground and ( find) point birds like a pointer is nuts, just like saying a pointer can do a retrievers job with the same ability. Not a pointing lab fan.

Okay. Hold it.  I made an offhand comment about looking for a "pointing lab" to somebody who wanted a black GSP. That did NOT mean I endorse or recommend or admire "pointing labs".  Nor do I like "red" Labradors or "silver" Labradors.

If you want a pointing field dog get one.  If you want a retriever get a Chessie or a Lab.  I've had both and Black and Tan and Walker hounds too back in my fox chasing days.

And I confessed up front I had not heard of ALL black GSP's.  Have never seen one- only know the good old liver and white ones like my pal Butch.....who would often sneak up and SNATCH a pheasant right out of the air as it took off!

Okay,    NOW I'll get out of the way.

I can tell you firsthand your not going to want a field trial dog. They run big, and when I say that I mean they run big. I would  say they are not good for foot hunting upland game around here but that's just me a die hard pheasant guy in SD. Maybe for grouse that works in the woods but I dont hunt woods nor do I field trial my dogs.

While I couldn't disagree more with the statement above as I'm a hunter that has only ever had dogs that were bred from horseback field trial stock if you are serious about having a 50-60 yd dog I would recommend a different avenue as a starter.

I'd target Hunt Test and NAVHDA bred dogs or dogs that are Game Farm/Hunt Club bred.  I realize the color thing is a preference but you might be passing over some really good stuff by limiting to solid colored dogs.  But to each his own.

FWIW, any pointing dog that is built right and has a modicum of drive is going to get 50 yds out by accident simply by running.  Even spaniels and retrievers would get that far out if they weren't trained to stay in.  Give up some control and give that dog a little freedom and let it roll and find you some birds.