• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you think this upcoming warm spell will affect ice conditions?

1eyeReD

In the area I will be hoping to fish on Saturday, temps are predicted to be as follows:

Today:  H32/L25

Tues:  H30/L6

Wed:  H26/L15

Thur:  H40/L37

Fri: H43/L33

Sat: H49/L33

Sun: H38/L22

Mon: H33/L22

How do you think this upcoming warm spell will affect ice conditions? The lake I am going on was at about 14" of ice the last time I was out a couple weeks ago. Again, I am trying to get out Saturday morning and fish for most of the day.

Edited by 1eyeReD

1 minute ago, Billy G said:

Looks like the same forcast for my area, after the next few days I think you'll be a fool if you try to drive out with with a truck or car for that matter. Im sure some will though. Back to walking days for me :(

You know, I don't mind walking out. I pick smaller lakes with shorter trips to structure for that reason. I don't drive out unless I have to and for the most part, I don't.

Have some of you never ice fished before?! The ice doesn't melt away during the first 40 degree day of the year. Those temps will barely get rid of the 4-8" of snow we have, and it will have almost no effect on the ice for this weekend. 

Here in southern mn I think like rl_sd said shore lines may be a problem, we have already had a few Trucks break thru the ice this year as it seems like we haven't been able to get more than 12 13in of ice on any lake here. The ice will still be around for quite a while but 40 degree days arnt doing the ice any justice.

The Ice will get all rotted and weak by Saturday, It won't be safe to even walk on !  I think everyone should stay off the ice and wait for open water in a week ! I will be checking the safety of the ice on a hourly basis all weekend and will report back here next week,(if I don't fall in)

I can see the access areas getting pretty beat up, but I dont"t think it will be that devastaing for the rest of the lake ice. That is if it doesn't stay tooo! warm tooo! long. The lakes I have been on this past week have a good 14 inches of ice. The predicted rain for Friday could make it a slippery day on the ice. I was just getting to really like driving out.

Be Safe

If you are worried about your ability to drive out in the southern half of the state I think you may have valid reason to be concerned.  However, the ice down here has been pretty inconsistent all year so you should have already had some concerns before this warm spell.  

If you are planning to walk out then you have no real reason to be concerned.  You don't lose 10 inches of ice it 2 days even with 40 degree temps.  Heck, even if the ice does somehow manage to pull away from the shore line a little just toss out some 2x8's to bridge the gap and walk out.  

If you guys are really still concerned bring your spud bar and check the ice as you walk and maybe stop every once in awhile to pop a hole to check thickness.  Once you are out there pay attention to the changes in ice conditions and you'll see first hand how a warm spell does or does not impact snow cover and ice conditions.

Thanks guys! I took everyone's answers and ran a multiple-HSO-answer algorithm on the pool of answers to come up with a "general consensus". It sounds like snow def will melt by mid weekend and it may be a little wet on the ice, but the solid part of the ice should be good and if not, just barely starting to shed some strength but not significant enough to be really concerned. I will be the nomad dragging a sled around filled with auger, flasher, bait, and chair.. Maybe my deer blind & Buddy Heater too for comfort should I choose to hunker down. A deer blind makes a great 1-man popup for ice fishing (can fit an extra little fisherman too)!!

Good luck to all and be safe!

12508742_1094698580560810_8989950772543157491_n.jpg

Edited by 1eyeReD

I live on Bald Eagle but have not gone out fishing this year.  Not a lot of folks out and only a few perms.  There were very few people on the ice this weekend, likely due to the rain.  People, including me, poked fun at the OP, but his caution seemed to be the norm this past weekend at least here.