• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car vs Ice Contest

last night a few buddies of mine and I were talking about the old contests they had every year where they'd put a "beater" out on the ice in a prominent location on many lakes and have the contest predicting the date and time it fell to the bottom of the lake.  Those were the days.  Leech Lake always had one at the city park but luckily they don't do it anymore because the 135,000 acre lake couldn't handle the pollution. :)

13 minutes ago, leechlake said:

last night a few buddies of mine and I were talking about the old contests they had every year where they'd put a "beater" out on the ice in a prominent location on many lakes and have the contest predicting the date and time it fell to the bottom of the lake.  Those were the days.  Leech Lake always had one at the city park but luckily they don't do it anymore because the 135,000 acre lake couldn't handle the pollution. :)

Virginia mn did too, but lately they sanitize the car first.  Don't know if they still do that

they use to do that also around here on the horseshoe chain. if I remember right it was a pollution thing even without the motor. I believe the proceeds went to the area rod and gun club. it also had a cable to retrieve. to many bleeding hearts ruin good old fashion fun!

4 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

They still do it every year in Eveleth. The car is stripped down so no motor in it and they use the same one every year. There is a cable attached so they can reel it back in once the ice goes out. I an guessing that is the one Del is thinking of not Virginia.

Totally.  Who can tell where the city limits are up there.  I just crusin on 53.  Can't wait to cruise over that bridge.

3 hours ago, Boar said:

we should get smurfs car and do that on Ol miss. :lol:

Just keep it away from my Spring fishin' spot. Don't wanna bunch of dead stripers floatin' to the surface from leaking boxes of Smurfberry crunch and empty junk food wrappers. :lol:

Del

I went thru today and was curious as to where the border was between the towns of Eveleth and Virginia. It appears to be about 3/4 mile north of the Ford dealers on highway 53 or at least that was where the sign for Eveleth was located. The truck is also on the ice already waiting for the big melt.

1 hour ago, leechlake said:

I suppose I've got to drive up there to get an entry?  Maybe nowadays theres an online thing to enter?

Thanks for the info, some sanity still in the world.

Might as well. You haven't done much else lately.  Then we can have another give-away pool. :lol:

the biggest order I ever got in my lumber career was from a company up yonder.  I think it was 200,000 board feet of ash lumber.  I could pull a Smurfy and write it off but I'd need an ex cop to ride shotgun and I can't think of anyone...

the biggest order I ever got in my lumber career was from a company up yonder.  I think it was 200,000 board feet of ash lumber.  I could pull a Smurfy and write it off but I'd need an ex cop to ride shotgun and I can't think of anyone...

:angry::angry: so just what da heck that's suppose to mean????????:angry::cry::D

we'd have it done the following day!!!!!!!!

I honestly like the idea of fishcribs or the like......that would actually be pretty smart.  AND a great way to do it.....since what's the DNR gonna do?  Get mad at charity??..........wait, yes yes they would.