• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stove Smoker

Juneau4

I've seen home made smokers- everything from old refrigerators to cardboard boxes being used. I've looked at manufactured smokers. My thought is that I'm going to make one and I'm going to use a stove and the smoker will be the oven. It's well insulated and a hot plate will be used for heat and if I wish to cold smoke no problem. That and old stoves are usually junk.(free)

Has anyone ever tried this give me your thoughts- there has to be a reason why I can't find anything about this-or I just haven't looked in the right places.

12 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

I've seen home made smokers- everything from old refrigerators to cardboard boxes being used. I've looked at manufactured smokers. My thought is that I'm going to make one and I'm going to use a stove and the smoker will be the oven. It's well insulated and a hot plate will be used for heat and if I wish to cold smoke no problem. That and old stoves are usually junk.(free)

Has anyone ever tried this give me your thoughts- there has to be a reason why I can't find anything about this-or I just haven't looked in the right places.

Great idea although I'd assume you have to park it somewhere and it will look like the beginning of a junk yard in your backyard.  Need to figure out how to hide it or enclose it which I assume you've got figured out in your minds eye.

Stove would work good, any reason you can't already use element in the stove? (assuming it's electric?)  Then you'd have a better control of temp and depending on where the element is, you could rig up a chip pan or use a smoker tube.  One drawback to this idea would be that you'd need a 220 access wherever you'd like to use it, where a hot plate would be a standard 120.

If you can't find a hot plate, I ended-up using a pretty cheap aftermarket element that's intended for element replacement purposes or gas-to-electric conversion.  Operates on 120 and heats my bigger-that-average chamber up just fine.  I see it's discontinued now but you can still buy one online from the looks of it - at least for now.  There's also similar models.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AUSHQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00HDMDA2I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08RSX6VR54RD4FM9ENQ0

As someone whose just gone through what you're about to, It's a little work, but it's really fun. Even more satisfying enjoying the final product when it comes out of your own contraption.  As Boar said, you'll need some type of controllable vent and exhaust for convection - a must for drying and air/smoke movement.  And like LL said, put some casters on it unless you have some sort of semi-sheltered outdoor location it can sit an be used. I used an old Mobile Home fridge for my vessel, but an oven would work fine, too.  I have a thread on here somewhere documenting my build from last fall.  If I can do it, you can do it.  And don't be afraid to add a little personal flair!

1 hour ago, leechlake said:

Great idea although I'd assume you have to park it somewhere and it will look like the beginning of a junk yard in your backyard.  Need to figure out how to hide it or enclose it which I assume you've got figured out in your minds eye.

they'd just think boar lived there. who else would put a stove outside to cook!!!!!!!!:P

I can just see me sitting in my front yard in a lawn chair in the Summer with a big white Kenmore oven next to me under a big umbrella.  Some high black socks on and brown dress shoes and I'd be wearing shorts.

The boys from the local asylum would pull up and take me away finally.

and theyd ask, smurf how yu get out.:P:P

get a hole sawand make to 4 ich holes with a cordles.drill. for vent, u can get creative with the air adjuster. four inc holeon top of stove for chimey. .yud have adjustable.racks which would be cool, a seald door, which is cool. actually this is an awsome idea. casters lie mentioned, 120.hot.plate.  itd be just perfect for wekender smomer

Here is mine.  I drilled 3/4" holes along the top and bottom of the fridge.  Then I use tinfoil plugs to adjust how many holes I want open depending on the weather.  As my door seal deteriorates I also use tinfoil pieces to cover those spots.  Works pretty good.  I took the probe and control out of an oven and use a stove top element and it is wired up to 110v and works awesome.  Mounted the oven probe in the top of the fridge.  Mounted the control in the plastic box outside the fridge.  Sorry about the sideways shot.  Don't know why that happens.

smoker control box.JPG

Looks just like yours RH.  I see you have a good seal on your door.  Boar was talking about better seals awhile back.  I painted mine to match the house.  That way the wife doesn't mind it being on the deck so much.

Heck ya!!! I used an old 'dridge to smoke my fish for years. A stove would be great! Lotsa good tips above...just get that proper airflow going. Something not mentioned, remember that most stoves have the oven vent opening under one of the main burners, (electric stoves) there's your "chimney" spot.....good luck! :)

And the temp controller needs to be outside with the probe inside.  Otherwise as in a hot plate, when it gets warm like on a summer day it will just turn off and may not turn back on for an hour.  I have used hot plates but had to disengage the attached temp controller and hook up to my oven controller which is just moving 2 wires.  No big deal.

I used vinyl window seal and it works but it's a little work to cut/bend and silicone it and do a neat job (and keep in mind, it doesn't have to be neat :) ).  If I did it again, I'd go with the rope-seal idea that Boar suggests.  Much easier to work with.  BUT - if you use an old oven, you'll already have a good hi-temp door seal.  I just stuffed insulation tight around my vents/stack - spray foam would work too.

Ok -I guess my idea isn't a completely crazy idea.:D I have an old gas stove that has nothing electrical on it,(pilot lights for burners and manual light for oven) The oven works fine and runs at the set temp. The oven vents out the back and up.

I figure with some playing around I should be able to make some sort of a smoker oven out of it. Maybe one that I can use either gas or electric depending on which I want to use for what I'm trying to smoke.

Thanks for the input. I had though of the dishwasher type, but didn't want to deal with all the plastic.