• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok smart ones...

Boar

So a guy at work whos impressed with the stuff i bring in wants me to smoke some side pork into bacon. i know I can do this, seen lots of good info here and from R1.

but what this guy has is of.course side pork... but its already sliced. but he wants it into smoked bacon. will this matter. I told him id check with the smart ones on the forum. so R1, what do you think. not sure what to think of this as i look back on the pictures of bacon from previous threads, I feel this will be an issue. cause of the smoked outer cap that created prior to slicing. the slice will all come out.....i dont know really. any suggestions or ideas or will it not be an issure.

com on....... are we all that thin skinned now, :( I was teasing, remeber... I cant make spagetti. im sorry. you guys are smarter than your wives and the neighbor lady........better? bugga boos?;)

There are two ways to do this.   You can hot smoke it or use cure and cold smoke it.  To hot smoke, I have just taken the side pork slices and sprinkled some cracked or course ground black pepper and some salt [to taste] and mixed them up with my hands so the spices can "meld" in LOL.  Ok,  so the spices can be distributed on the slices.  Hang them on wooden dowels in the smoker or lay on the smoker racks flat.  Smoke one hour at 175, next hour at 200, and then up to 250 until the side pork gets crispy to your liking.  Doesn't taste like bacon but it's very tasty.  It's the cure that changes the flavor to bacon.

To cure the slices, make up a batch of Pop's brine.  Soak the slices in the brine for 24 hours.  Take out of brine and rinse and pat dry.  Then cold smoke the slices up to 4 to 5 hours until you get the nice color.  Then you can fry some up or freeze for later use.  good luck.

I tried it last Fall when deb accidentally bought sliced side pork instead of bacon.  I kind of guessed using tender quick since I figured a slice would cure different than a slab of pork belly.  I smoked it and it isn't like bacon, it's like smoked side pork.  Bacon Boy didn't like it much so I ate some and eventually pitched the rest because I didn't want to eat slabs of pork fat.  We had a lot of it though.  I suppose you could slice it with a slicer to make it like bacon.

31 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I tried it last Fall when deb accidentally bought sliced side pork instead of bacon.  I kind of guessed using tender quick since I figured a slice would cure different than a slab of pork belly.  I smoked it and it isn't like bacon, it's like smoked side pork.  Bacon Boy didn't like it much so I ate some and eventually pitched the rest because I didn't want to eat slabs of pork fat.  We had a lot of it though.  I suppose you could slice it with a slicer to make it like bacon.

so what your saying its next to the walleyes in the landfill?????????

that was funny.

Also in the landfill is those chicken wings coated with baking powder cooked at 250 for 30 minutes and then at 400.  I cooked them for 45 minutes instead of 75 minutes at 400 and let's just say you could have backpacked them into the BWCA and never known they were with you.  I only made about 8-10 like that so no harm was done.  They were crispy though!