• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cranbait reel help

bassfshin24

What is everyones favorite Cranking reel. I am talking deep cranks like strike king 5XD and 6XD. I have been looking at a Revo Winch or a Lews BB1. Has anyone used a Daiwa Tatula reel for cranks. I know they have a lower 5.1:1 reel. I am looking for a low ratio reel. Any help would be awesome

I bought a 5.1 Tatula and put it on a 13 Crankenstein last year for deep cranks. If you go with a Tatula, buy the HD model as it has more line capacity.  It can cast a D25 a long ways, although most well oiled reels can.

*edit: I think mine is a 6:3 gear ratio, not a 5.1. 

Edited by CCGinMN

Thanks for the info guys. That is the first time I have heard anyone say anything bad on the BB1. I do like hearing all the opinions though. I currently have a Lews Tournament MG in 5.4:1 and am not a huge fan of it. Just doesn't cast as far and smooth as I would like. 

I only have Lews casting reels, several MG's, couple $100 speed spools, couple Tourney pros, the MG's do not cast as far as others, good reel, fair price, but need to be +$150 in the Lews line if you really want to sling a bait out ther in my experience.

I bought a Daiwa Lexa in the 4:9.1 ratio. I like how it casts, but I think the ratio is too low. When I cast in the direction I am moving, I seem to really have to crank to keep up. Probably have to shut the trolling motor off more I guess.  I think a 5.5.1 ratio or something like that would be better. 

2 hours ago, Fisherman45 said:

I have a Revo Winch and love it. Smooth as silk and casts a mile. I did change out my bearings to boca bearings.

The bearing upgrade was worth it?  I was contemplating upgrading some of my reels to boca or hawg tech, just not a "fun" purchase, like buying line, it's just not that satisfying for me. 

Edited by Todd S.

16 hours ago, bassfshin24 said:

Thanks for the info guys. That is the first time I have heard anyone say anything bad on the BB1. I do like hearing all the opinions though. I currently have a Lews Tournament MG in 5.4:1 and am not a huge fan of it. Just doesn't cast as far and smooth as I would like. 

FWIW I have the 5:1 Lew BB1 Pro. You can borrow it if you want to see what I'm talking about with the multistop anti reverse, it's an intentional design so some people must like it.

I own both a Winch and Lews BB1. I actually used the *old* Lew's BB1s as my cranking reels up until the new ones came out. Just refused to give them up... So, owning both, couple thoughts on them:

- The Winch is a very solid cranking reel, although I do find the cast control a little fussier to adjust than the Lew's. Once you get it dialed in it casts like a dream though. The BB1 is just a fantastic casting reel. The levelwind on the BB1 is further from the spool than on a typical low-pro reel, which makes way more of a difference in casting distance than you'd think. That same design feature was on the old BB1s, and part of what made them such casting machines. I find the BB1 easier to adjust than the Winch, and I think it casts lighter baits better.

- I love the wide handle paddles on Lews reels. Some hate 'em. They're interchangeable with Abu handles though if you really can't stand them. I've gone the other way and put Lews knobs on some of my Revos.  

- The BB1 does not have instant anti-reverse. That's one of the reasons I prefer it, and one of the reasons I refused to give up my old BB1s. It's hard to explain without actually feeling it, but without IAR, you just get a better feel for the bait through the reel. Just a more connected feel. (Plus when you pause a crank and let go of the handle and a fish smokes it, the reel will actually click when the handle snaps back to the stop, and that's just one of my favorite things ever...). You may not notice, may not care, or may prefer IAR because that's what you're used to, but it's a big reason I prefer my BB1.

Long story short, I have both available, and I much prefer the Lew's. 

BF24 - about your Tournament that seems sluggish, if you haven't cleaned out the factory lube, try that. Lews really does load them up with grease...