• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Punching Rod help

bassfshin24

Hey guys I am looking at purchasing a punching rod. I have been getting more into punching the past few years and have just been using a 7ft heavy St. Croix Mojo. I feel like the rod is way too heavy and not long enough. I am looking at spending anywhere from $100-$150 on the rod. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a good punching rod? I have been looking at a Fitzgerald rod if I can find it for the right price. Any other suggestions would be great. 

I don't do a ton of punching or frogging so I bought one Rod that I thought could double as both, a 7'3" heavy, TFO, Temple Fork Outfitters, I bought from Clist with tags still on it and have been super happy with it, I would pay retail for it, in its price range. 

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/TFO_Gary_Loomis_Tactical_Casting_Rods/descpage-TFOTC.html

Edited by Todd S.

I have a St Croix Mojo MH 7'6 and a Powell 7'7" MH and like them both.... good feel and durable.  I had a Fishing 13 Omen and was pretty disappointed. The line guides were very fragile for me. 

12 hours ago, bassfshin24 said:

I have about 8 Omens and have had a few break. They light weight and sensitivity are great but they are kind of fragile. I hope they fixed that with the Omen 2

I absolutely love my Omens.  I used to use an NRX and Cumara for pitching but they started to hurt my index finger after a few hours (where the rod blank rests on your index finger).  The grip on the Omens fits my hand like a glove.  If you are pitching & punching all day, the Omen grip will make your life much easier.  I do have some buddies that have broken a few of them though.  I wonder how much it would cost to get the grips switched out on my old rods to the Omen style?  I realize it would void the warranty but if I could get it done for around $50 per rod, I would jump on it. 

One more thing: if you are like me and under 5' 7", you might want to stay around the 7'3" to 7'6" range.  Those 8' rods make the technique tough for me.  I'm WAY faster and more accurate with a 7' 3".  My 2 cents...

I use a Powell punching rod they made for Tackle Warehouse for a while and love the thing. They make basically the same rod in the Max 3D series, for $159. A little lighter in the tip than a typical flipping stick, which I really like, and it balances exceptionally well with a Curado E7, even for an 8' rod. They make a rod very similar action-wise in 7'9" as well. I don't own one personally but know someone who owns both and likes the 7'9" better. Great rods for the money.

For the $100 price point, while I dont have one.. So my opinion is probably not the best.. But I have been impressed with the feel of the Cabelas ZX series rods.. they have a flipping rod that I would think would work quite well for a punch rod..

I personally use a 7'11" G-Loomis GLX

I use a 7'11" Hvy Veritas with a Gen 3 Revo STX 8.0:1 ratio.

Light weight combo and has a bunch of power, Handles yabkinh the fish on River Z out of cover with ease.

Craigums witnessed me boat flip a 4lber in a club tournament with that setup.

Sorry I haven't replied to your first post. I was on vacation all week. I absolutely love the Savvy Flipping stick. Very light weight and has a ton of backbone. I haven't got to use it a ton yet but the times I've have it's been awesome. 2 weeks ago a wrestled a 5lber out of pads and boat flipped it in. The rod did it with ease. Can't wait to get into some really thick stuff and punching some dbombs! 

On 7/3/2016 at 10:14 PM, bklimek said:

Really hung up on a 735 or 766, just can't decide.  Looking for a versatile workhorse between punching, flipping, frogging, and perhaps occasional c'rig.

The 735 might be the best frog rod on the market right now. I love everything about it

I reduced my inventory lately.  Felt I had to much maintenance in rods that were specialty rods and weren't getting enough pt.  I don't do a ton of punchin so hoping  this choice will give me the ability plus leverage in other applications.  I'll provide a review later when I get my boat back!! Had to rebuild the power head.