• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod actions and superline

slick2526

Question

To all of you who use superlines, or superbraids, what ever you prefer. What type of action rod do you like to use for jigging when using a superline? Mainly for the G-loomis, and St.criox rod users. Myself I would think medium-light. But I would like to read other suggestions.

8 answers to this question

I like to use a Moderate action pole when fishing braid. This type action will also help to take up some of the punishment when setting the hook. I have foung that when using a fast tip with braid you have a better chance of snapping the tip off.

------------------
Jim Reed
CountryKat Fishing

Its really going to depend on the species of fish you are after and the lure you are throwing... To just lump all superline applications to one rod action would be silly!

I run PowerPro on rods from Medium action crankbait rods up to Med-heavy flipping sticks!

My main jigging rod is a St.Croix Avid 6' ML. I am using 6Lb green fire line. This seems to be the ticket at least for river fishing. Every one that has used this rig in my boat has loved it.
I also normally set my drag a bit light to avoid breaking the tips on hooksets.

The biggest problem I have had is'nt breaking the tips, it is tearing the hooks out of the fish on hooksets. By setting the drag a hair lighter than you normally would keeps the hooks from ripping out.
This is never really a problem just a precaution. The that next fish could be the big one. You never know!

When I'm using a braided line for jigging (which isn't too often, I prefer mono for this usually), it's typically for the extra feel I get from using a no-stretch line. Related to this, I very much prefer a very fast action tip on my jigging rods- better sensitivity than a slower tip. My guess is when people are saying "medium" or "medium-light" rods they are not only meaning to talk about the power of the rod (medium or medium-light), but also the speed of the tip. If you want good feel from a rod, you want a fast-action tip. This means that the rod blank bends more nearer the tip. Slower action rods bend closer to the butt and are good for some purposes, but not particularly good at allowing the user to feel with their hand (but you can actually see the tiptop moving without feeling anything).
So... to answer your question, I like a medium-light rod (i.e. not a biggun') with a very fast tip for jigging. Also, I agree with Countrykat about the fast action tip and superline, but I'm a big fan of setting my drag in such a way that damage to the rod isn't an issue. I've never had a problem with this. My thinking is that if you're going to jig with superline to get better feel, why use a slower blank and not feel as much?
Scoot