• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bmw or Mercedes or Honda

Would any of you consider buying a used BMW or Mercedes?  My 1997 Accord with 265000 is eventually going to pass-away.  It's a bare bone unit with only air.  I've been contemplating a upgrade since I will probably have the next car just as long.  I understand I can buy another accord that has less miles on than a BMW but for some reason I really would like a nice smooth riding car.  However a major repair scares the carp out of me with these imports...

my wife has had a few BMW's and they are more sport riding than smooth riding compared to a lexus or mercedes in my opinion.  I go in my buddy newer Ford Fusion and it rides just as good in my mind.  My vote is no to the BMW or Mercedes.  I hate when she has driven it to the cabin and someone sees her too.  

My Honda Accord feels like it's got the suspension of an F1 racecar compared to the smooth ride of my wife's Toyota Camry, which feels like a driving a boat to me.  I think it's well known that Hondas have a little tighter, sporty suspension than the comparable Toyotas.  

I'm on Honda number 4 since 1997.  Number 2 made it 6 months before it got totaled and I just got number 4 a couple months ago.

Edited by bobbymalone

I don't know if this is still true, but back in the early 2000s I owned a 1999 Acura Integra. It was considered both a luxury car and a sports car according to my insurance carrier. Now, I had a few speeding tickets prior to that time and it might have just been a bunch of talk to charge me more, but you might want to ask your insurance company how they would rate different vehicles.

Having your agent run a quote on any new car you are thinking of buying is always a good idea. When buying the car most people only consider the monthly car payment when determining budget but the increased cost of insurance also needs to be considered. 

From my time working in the auto insurance world the ratings weren't as simple as saying this car is a sports car or a luxury car and plugging it into a certain category, its much more in depth than that. Each car was individually rated based on multiple factors (safety ratings, repair costs, likelihood of theft, age of vehicle, etc.  Insurance companies can also use vehicle symbol data that assign each type of car a symbol that includes make, model, body style.  They can use the symbol to pull up loss data for all vehicles matching that symbol.  They will then use that loss data for a vehicles matching the make/model/body/trim level of your vehicle to determine your rate.  

With all of the factors that they use its pretty important to have your agent run the quotes prior to purchase.  A BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Acura may not all rate favorably compared to each other despite them all being luxury cars.   

There are of course a whole bunch or factors that pertain to the driver themselves that will be the same for any vehicle (driver demographics, driver history, driving habits, credit score, location, etc)

52 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

My Honda Accord feels like it's got the suspension of an F1 racecar compared to the smooth ride of my wife's Toyota Camry, which feels like a driving a boat to me.  I think it's well known that Hondas have a little tighter, sporty suspension than the comparable Toyotas.  

I'm on Honda number 4 since 1997.  Number 2 made it 6 months before it got totaled and I just got number 4 a couple months ago.

Honda motors seem to be more oriented to higher RPM for their power in my experience.  It certainly was true last year while comparing Pilot to Highlander.  

Benz since 1965. Don't buy a 200-2006 or even later. The new ones are not comparable to the older machines but there will be expenses from time to time. But there is nothing like them and once you have the disease that' it!!

I thought parts etc. were expensive for one of the cars I have now.  Then I had to have work done on my wife's little Toyota Solara convertible!!  Those %$%#$%  should wear masks!!!

Thanks for the input...lets flip this another way.  IF you were going to buy a nice sedan for the family and everyday commuting what would your thoughts be??  Especially when you factor in gas mileage, insurance, maintenance, and price...

THanks!

1 hour ago, chasineyes said:

Thanks for the input...lets flip this another way.  IF you were going to buy a nice sedan for the family and everyday commuting what would your thoughts be??  Especially when you factor in gas mileage, insurance, maintenance, and price...

THanks!

A lot would depend on the financial situation and how much of a "car guy" you are, as well as your feelings about money.  A friend of mine just bought a suv, and he chose the BMW, whereas I went with Toyota. 

Certainly an Accord or Camry will likely be just as functional and reliable as a Mercedes or BMW and will cost less to buy and to operate, it seems to me.  But you might well enjoy the Mercedes or BMW more than the Honda or Toyota, or they may have a model of car that fits your preferences  better than an Accord or Camry. 

What we did was to select the model of each brand that seemed most likely to fit our needs, looked at measurements and prices and stuff on line, and then went and drove them all.  Then noodled around and talked it over, and went and drove the top two again before deciding.  

That works best, probably, for new cars or used cars only a couple years old where condition is less of an issue.

Anyway, that's my thinking on the issue.  I need to admit that spending money on intangibles like prestige or whatever is very hard for me.  

I've always purchased cars based on function more than form.  Bottom line is I need a car that will do certain things and impressing the neighbors isn't one of those things.  If I was looking for a new sedan I'd probably start by looking at Toyotas, Hondas, and Mazdas.  You should get good gas mileage, reliability, and a nice ride out of any of them at a much lower price.  The luxury brands will probably have a little nicer ride and better overall fit/finish to them but you'll have to decide if those things are worth the much higher price tag.

8 hours ago, chasineyes said:

THanks!

The most expensive brake job I have ever done was on a Benz and it was nothing out of the ordinary.  Just sayin...;)

Value wise, I don't think you can beat a Chev Impala or Ford Taurus for bang for the buck.

I just test drove a  new Impala .... They are incredibly smooth and quiet, get great reviews and Motor Trend rated them in the top five for ride quality.

Benz parts are expensive. If you are buying a car to last you'll want to take a look at one. Obviously not everybody wants, needs or can afford a serious M-Benz. Priorities are very personal things. On the other hand sometimes that money buys more than glitz and glamour. We had one station wagon that ran 257,000 miles before it needed anything other than tires, oil etc.  We have a 28 year old model now that has cost some maintenance from time to time but every switch and light on it works, the leather is still smooth and soft, it is quiet and smooth and when I put my foot down it will blow most cars its size right off the road.

Of course,   I don't really need a car that is built to run 150mph all day on the Autobahn. Oh.....and I love my Chevy Tahoe too.

Ha Ha Ha Ha.  They're all good when they run right fellas.

18 hours ago, delcecchi said:

And of course many hondas and toyotas also go well over 200k also.    And save enough to buy a boat with the difference. 

And of course many hondas and toyotas also go well over 200k also.    And save enough to buy a boat with the difference. 

And ultimately that's the goal.  I would like to buy a cabin next year so a car is really just a mode of transportation.  Not something I want to be forever indebted too... :)  Need to remember to keep a level head.