• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum question

Fredd

I started this topic on another page, but got little direct feedback on my question.  My question is regarding the issue of the moving bottom on the Marcum units and why this continues to be an issue over the years/models.  I have a six year old LX5, a two year old LX3 and a new LX3i and they all have some form of this problem with the newest unit having the biggest problem (warranty bound).  I understand that the issue is the motor, but why can't they seem to take care of this problem?  I love the capabilities of my Marcum but am saddened by the lack of improvement on a long-standing issue.  Please enlighten me those in the know.       

Any mode, it'a a flasher.  The bottom and all the returns move around the dial, up to a foot or so, back and forth.  The lines stay solid but the entire image moves (very sickening when you are trying to read fish closing on your bait).  This is a well known issue with Marcum.  To me it seems like its the motor mount but some have suggested it is the motor itself.  Someone techy has to know.

I have had 2) do that in the last 5 years; an LX3 with the true color upgrade, and my current LX5. They seem to do it the first 15-20 minutes, slowly getting better until it reads normal and steady.  I feel your pain and am pretty upset about it too.  I am going to bring it in directly to the service center (Versa Electronics in Minneapolis) and see what they say.  If they don't have a solid answer I am shopping for a Vexilar and not looking back.  

I have had 4 different Marcums and they have all had different issues multiple times, from transducers, to having to turn the gain much higher than I should, to red LED's not displaying consistantly, and to your described problem. The entire time I have fished next to Vexi's that have never had a single issue while I tend to have problems again and again. And don't sell me on the LX7/9/11 as I am not throwing good money after bad, again.

-Befuddled and Bewildered in Bloomington

I think vexs have the edge on reliability but not on the technology.  I wouldn't trade my resolution for anything.  For instance this past weekend, I could read 12 individual sunfish through the water column where my buddie's vex 28 was just a blob of solid color.  Maybe the resolution comes at a price?  I think the motors are $80 to fix in the cities, but I would hope that this wouldn't be necessary.  

As far as the graph displays go, I think they aren't as kind in the direct sun (I'm a hole hopper) and they drain the battery even faster.  The battery life was one reason I went to the 3 instead of the 5 this time around.

Edited by Fredd

I agree about the target separation and smaller marks for individual fish and weeds. But (there's always a but) if I'm scouting and hole hopping like you,  I get pretty frustrated trying to nail down a bottom depth with it skipping around like that. Let alone the issues you initially posted about. Bottom line I just want something to work right away and the entire time. If my lx5 does that after a fix,  I'll be fine. Until the next time I have yet another issue while my buddy's Vexilar still purrs away.  

My older lx5 developed the issue about 3 years ago.  Sometimes it's worse than other times.  I heard it may be a transistor issue.  It's not so bad that I'd send it in during the season.  I keep forgetting to send it in over the summer.

Yeah, I filled in the warranty paperwork and have to send the unit back.  The message they left said something about that the issue should have been resolved in the i series and they were surprised I was seeing it.  As I stated above, this unit is the worst offender of the three that I own.  I am guessing that if it was a ducer that they would just send one out.  I did respond with the question about the other two units that I have as well (what the cost is to fix?). 

I did finally talk with Marcum (Versa).  They said it is the motor that causes this.  They said the turnaround time is only a couple of days on their end.  The cost is the standard $80 fee for repair.  I was surprised to hear the support person say they only make 5- 8000 flashers a year??  He said they are always working to make the units better, but I could see why this area might not get their full attention.  They are going to stand behind two of my units which I appreciate.  I shared that the reliability piece and the battery life are my two biggest complaints with their products at this time.

I ran my 2 LX's up to Versa Electronics in New Hope, and they are doing the $80 service on the 3 and the 5 will be warranty work.  Hope it works out for me.

I have to say that the experience wasn't all that great at Versa.  Immediate service by a young guy, asked a couple questions, didn't have much to say to keep me brand loyal though, I guess. Not that they needed to set me up with coffee and chat for an hour, but absolutely no BSing and asking anything about me or fishing or weather or anything. I'm pretty sure my LX3 was a transducer issue, to which I asked if he could just hook up a different one and see if that changed anything, and again got quickly shot down, even though that was their suggestion when people inquired about that issue. I also asked about the "true color" upgrade they used to do to LX3's to which I got a simple "no." While I was there his cohort took 2 calls in which he offered zero help to either of them.  Just a chilly reception reception and experience, I guess.

Contrast that to walking into the Vexilar Motor Clinic in Bloomington.  Super nice, approachable, genuinely interested in their customers, and willing to bend over backwards for customers.  While I was in there for about 20 minutes looking at refurb offerings and asking about the different models and transducers, they sold a unit to couple of guys.  They asked if they had a vet discount which they did, told them to grab a few things on their way out, and made 2 customers for life by the sounds of it. 

Anyone want to buy some freshly serviced Marcums? :crazy:

Only time I ever see this issue with the Marcums or the Vex's is when the transducer is moving/bouncing in the hole. I really only fish in zoom mode on either unit so not sure if that is a reason why I never see it but I'm really big on making sure I know right where bottom is when I'm fishing so I'd notice if bottom was moving on me for sure.

First thing I do when I turn on the Marcum is hit SFL then ZM to find bottom. I've had my LX5 pretty much since they were first released and haven't had any issues except when I got a slice in the transducer cable, I actually just wrapped it up in electrical tape and continued to use it through the rest of that season then bought a new transducer in the summer and still have the sliced one as a spare.

It is not a matter of if it does it or not, and it is not the transducer moving.  I was using my i again yesterday and the feedback was almost continually moving.  It is a very obvious movement when it occurs.  Mine moves about a half foot at a time.  Marcum knows about the issue obviously as they continue to work on improving their motors.  

A friend of mine just had his motor replaced at the place in New Hope a couple months ago too. It is an lx-5 that was like 1.5 years old. Cost him around 100 bucks. Definitely a motor issue with many of these units is what they told him. That's what he gets for switching from Vex.