• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing Day Trip From The Metro

bowhunt

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about taking a day trip to go spearing to get away from the metro.  Any suggestions for good spearing lakes within an hour and half of the metro give or take?  I would prefer action and spearable fish over a trophy lake with low numbers.  I don't want any secret spots, just a decent lake to try out.  I would be helpful if the lake had enough ice to drive on.  If you don't want to post anything publicly just shoot me a PM.

Thanks for any help guys.

Bowhunt

That's going to put you right in our area. Driving may be difficult. Most lakes are in that 10" of ice area. Some are risking it, but I wouldn't drive my truck on that.  

I've had a hard time finding consistent numbers any place, but we have had some success on a lake that's mentioned a lot here and we will be fishing on this coming Sunday. 

nothing doing over on tonka???

I would take a drive to the New London - spicer area.  Lakes I would say to go to first is Norway, Games, Andrew and Nest. if you check with a few locals you may find out about a general area on Mud lake north of New London. Plus if you go for a weekend you could get on a crappie and Walleye bite.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I have been doing a lot of looking a lakefinder and I am thinking about giving Borden up by Garrison another try.  I am planning to call one of the local bait shops tonight and see how the ice and snow conditions are up that way.  Any suggestions for which bait shop to contact regarding spearing up there?

Well it was a cold and windy day up there today.  Saw 3 or 4 little ones today but nothing worth dipping the tines in the water.  Had 17 inches of ice and very little snow.  Kevin can have his spot back....  Hopefully I have better luck tomorrow on a local lake.

Bowhunt