• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need meat meal help

A question for the meat gurus here. I have started my treatment and along with all the new meds I also have a strict diet regiment to follow. Which is in a nut shell I am suppose to graze eat during the day since loss of appetite is something I have to deal with here for the next few months. Foods high in protein are a no no as they make the kidney work hard. I can eat some meat but my portions are small 4-6 oz.. So the question is how can I prepare some good small cuts of meat that the few bites I have are going to be tasty? And will tast good when reheated or used in another meal?

1.  I make my son and his buddies steak bites a lot.  You really can take quite a bit of steak or pork and produces a lot of pieces and wouldn't added up to too much of the 4-6 oz amount.  I could see 2-3 ounces cut up and dipped in some sauce as sufficing.

2.  mini sliders- press the burger thin or thin sliced beef.

3.  shaved ham, roast beef, turkey.  

Bobby, without explanation, i know where you're coming from. I go with chicken/chicken thighs.....seasoned, basted, topped, what have you. Skinned of course, and baked, or broiled. Reheat well in 'wave, and just as tasty. Best meat, IMO, for that. I fill up on a salad/veggies first, then leave the meat until last...makes it seem like more. My best to you. Hang tough.

Edited by RebelSS

I think pork tenderloin might be a good idea.  You can marinate the entire loin, then cut into small "medallions".  Store them in the marinade and either bake or grill a "medallion" or two when you want to get some protein.  I also agree with Reb that small chicken breasts or thighs are a nice option for a light meal.  Those little foil packets of tuna or salmon are perfect for a small boost of protein.  Good luck with your medical care and treatment.  

Shish kabobs on the grill for variety are another option and you can vary the meat choice with about anything you want including some seafood. Marinade choices are endless. Pieces of meat are bite-sized already and you can skewer vegetable choices galore. Best of all, I find unused portions reheated are often even better than hot off the grill.

13 minutes ago, Dotch said:

Shish kabobs on the grill for variety are another option and you can vary the meat choice with about anything you want including some seafood. Marinade choices are endless. Pieces of meat are bite-sized already and you can skewer vegetable choices galore. Best of all, I find unused portions reheated are often even better than hot off the grill.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Bobby Bass said:

A question for the meat gurus here. I have started my treatment and along with all the new meds I also have a strict diet regiment to follow. Which is in a nut shell I am suppose to graze eat during the day since loss of appetite is something I have to deal with here for the next few months. Foods high in protein are a no no as they make the kidney work hard. I can eat some meat but my portions are small 4-6 oz.. So the question is how can I prepare some good small cuts of meat that the few bites I have are going to be tasty? And will tast good when reheated or used in another meal?

Yet I got yelled at by the Doc a few years ago so lots of Chicken and Fish now. But I like Walleye anyway! :)

Go to Cub or Costco and pick up the chicken breast packs, take one out and freeze the rest as singles so you can pull one out at a time to cook. At First it really suks when they put you on something like this and you almost feel like there is nothing to eat out there. But there are tons of great foods and I have fun cooking now trying new things. I think I could even make Dog craap taste good now, with the right spices! :P  Hang in there! :)

Some great ideas there.  Bobby I wish you the best and we will put a prayer in for you indeed for healing.  I do like the chicken breast or thighs idea and the kabobs.  As for beef, I would go with something very tender like beef tenderloin and would stay tender even when re-heated which is important.  It is expensive buy for small portions I would think it's worth it.  The pork tenderloin would be great also.  good luck.

If you r worried about your kidneys working too hard watch eating a lot of chicken for they are injected with a lot of sodium along with much of your processed meats. My mother has kidney problems so it's a low sodium diet we soak / rinse the chicken in water before cooking. She eats a lot of pork. We have found some low sodium seasonings but switched to mostly fresh herbs. Also cut out all foods that come in cans and most boxed meals

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Yet I got yelled at by the Doc a few years ago so lots of Chicken and Fish now. But I like Walleye anyway! :)

Go to Cub or Costco and pick up the chicken breast packs, take one out and freeze the rest as singles so you can pull one out at a time to cook. At First it really suks when they put you on something like this and you almost feel like there is nothing to eat out there. But there are tons of great foods and I have fun cooking now trying new things. I think I could even make Dog craap taste good now, with the right spices! :P  Hang in there! :)

if you run out of walleye, LL has a bun..................oh wait no he don't!!!!!!!!!!:P

seriously though when I was told  I needed to watch what I ate due to blood sugar and now my bypass I thunk the world was gonna end. it gets better as you get use to it.

were all pulling for ya bobby!!!!!!! 

You're in my prayers BB, hopefully you can whoop this LCDD!!!! We're all here for you !!

I can't think of any meat ideas that haven't been mentioned already, but I'll keep the wheels turning and see if I  come up with something good.

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

bobby.....need to get more grouse I guess!!!!!!! venision maybe!!!!!!

Grouse is gone minutes after it hits the kitchen and I didn't get as many birds as I wanted to this season. If I had know about this I would have stockpile my five birds to enjoy later.. Do have some vennie to play with though. No fish but by neighbor offed to give me some Bass chowder, I turned him down I have seen how he makes it !:D  Did shrimp last night and porterhouse, chunk of it anyway for supper tonight..

Bobby- sounds to me like we should all eat like the doc said you need to.  I know it's because of unwanted circumstances but I'm wagering after the adjustment period if will become second nature.  There are some danged good veggies out there waiting for us to spend our time on rather than meat.  Mushrooms come to mind especially.  

I'd say for all of our health we spend some more effort on the veggies and post stuff.