• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting coyotes with dogs

Anyone do it?  I was at a tourney out west a few weeks ago and the guys that won  were two guys that were using dogs.  I never heard of it before.  Can anyone give me some info?  Type of dog, tactic, anything at all.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

I have seen videos they use them as decoy dogs... dogs run out and run back making the coyote chase them boom dead coyote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrl5PiHe1s

People use greyhounds to chase them down as well they let them run the coyotes and they follow in trucks or atvs

Edited by ZachD

As a matter of fact the outdoor show called furtakers episode last night used dogs, mainly 2 but a few times they let some younger dogs out. It was really neat, as was said the dogs would lure them in, the yotes were really aggressive with the dogs. If you didn't catch the episode try to pull it up.

I had to google the idea of using greyhounds for coyote hunting as I had never heard of it.  Greyhounds tend to be great sprinters but not as good for endurance so I thought maybe they wouldn't be the best choice as they may tire out too quickly. Boy was I wrong, they may tire out rather quickly but it really doesn't matter when they are able catch up to the coyote and take it down within 1/4 - 1/2 mile.  Dang those things are quick.

I'm not sure what I think about using your dogs to lure in a coyote.  My first thought is that doesn't it put your dog at risk? Maybe its done differently than I'm imagining but how much danger is the dog actually in?  I'm not sure I'd want to rely on my ability to kill the coyote before if got hold of my dog.   I'll have to pull up that episode to see how its really done, I could only find a trailer clip for the show initially.  

What lol ? I thought I'd be reading about something totally different, as I look out my window now we got guys surrounding our section, they never ask permission it's find a yote track let the dogs out these guys do not care at all and many operate like that just read the cuffs and collars this week however I don't care as long as the bullets don't hit our buildings, January/February/March go for it really, save some fawns and more, kill coyotes, but some people get very upset about the trespassing. Ok, hounds are used to run coyotes and the hounds will kill and shred the coyote if they catch one, no coyote wants to fight these hound dogs. You put rifles around the section and cut the dogs loose 2,3, maybe 4 dogs. They'll run that coyote and you hope the shooters connect or across the road it goes and then you surround that section etc. I don't know anybody of the dozens of guys I know that use dogs to coyote hunt where the dog is getting chased out by the coyote, it's the other way around, if a coyote wants or has to fight it's good bye yote in a hurry. Nearly the same hounds used in fall to coon hunt pretty much are the same ones my relatives use to chase coyotes. Boys got 59 2 years ago, maybe a handful last year, and this year 20 some I think I heard so they're doing a lot of good really which is why I don't care if I'm trespassed upon, wish I was out with em but these local dudes feel they own each coyote kinda in a weird style of thinking way, the one guy got upset with me because I dusted one last July lol, told him to have another. That's the worrisome part sometimes they are having a few but it's bo and luke duke you know just the good ol boys. I think technology has probably changed the coyote game now I'd assume gps collars maybe idk so you can pinpoint the dogs idk.  

In this area, it is mostly using hounds for tracking.

Basically, you drive around until you see a fresh track. You then let the hounds out on that track and they start chasing the coyote, barking the entire time so you know where they are heading. You then drive to where you think the coyote will come running out in a field or across a road and shoot said coyote. Or release a greyhound when the hounds have one up and running and the greyhound will take care of the coyote for the most part.

Using a dog as a decoy is generally used in Montana, or other places with much fewer people, and the coyotes are much more aggressive in protecting their territory from other canines.

Hey thanks Creepworm I learned something. Didn't know the greyhound deal as I don't know any coyote hunters who use anything other then like regular hounds but now I can ask them if they've thought about greyhounds etc or if they know other groups who use them.  Man yea I don't want to send Shelbie into coyote territory and pray she's fast enough to make the clearing lol and I'd assume shot # 1 would change a coyotes direction lol. The only aggravating part is these coyote dudes have too much pride. They don't want to ask ever anything. I know they were nearly wasting their time in our section today, sure they likely found a track and hopefully they connected but across the road about 11:00PM last night it was a coyote parade and has been for a week or so. If they'd stop and ask I'd tell em even if you're not seeing any they are in that section in solid numbers. Get them before they move on.