• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In the market for a Hub Style house

busse3775

Thinking about purchasing a 2 man hub style house and looking for some tips or advice before I do. I currently have an Otter Lodge which I love but I can only use when I go back home. I am looking for a hub style house so I can just throw it in my Jeep and take off. I saw L&M supply currently has the Eskimo Quickfish 3i on sale for just $199, which I think is a pretty good deal. I've also been looking at the Polar Bird 2 man hub house, anyone have any experience using one of these? Not looking for anything to spendy since it won't be my primary house.  

I bought the Eskimo Quickfish 3I during Black Friday sales for the same price. I've never had a hub before - or fished out of one - so I don't have anything to compare it to. But overall I'm really happy with it.  My buddy and I went on a 3-day ice fishing trip last weekend, and he brought his suitcase style house and I brought the hub. We only used the hub all weekend, if that tells you anything. It's great that it has 2 doors for when you're fishing with someone else. The insulated shell is really ice, but it's not quite as warm as I was expecting. I would think it could get fairly chilly in a non-insulated one. But, it also poured rain for about an hour one night when we were fishing, and it didn't soak through at all, so I was really impressed.  The carrying bag is also over-sized so it's easier to get in the bag and then you can really strap it down with the velcro straps attached to the bag.

I've only used it a half-dozen times, so I don't know if it will hold up long-term, but overall I'm really happy with it. The only complaint is it can be hard to set-up by yourself, especially if it's windy.  But mine is still pretty new, so maybe once it gets broken in more it will be easier.

I also bought the ice anchor adapter so you can use a cordless drill to screw the anchors in with.  That worked sweet - I wish it would just come standard but it's another way to squeeze $15 out of you.

I'd say that's a heck of a deal too, especially for it being insulated. That does make a big difference as far as the condensation dripping goes and the wicked wind whip isn't as bad on a insulated house. I've never heard anything bad about the eskimo houses so that should be a solid purchase. 

I also should add, this model has eyelets in all four corners to anchor it down with.  I don't know if that's unique or not, but when I was watching videos on Eskimo hubs prior to my purchase it looked like there was only one or two and they recommended putting the anchors on the side the wind was coming from. Perhaps those were just older models. Once you have 3 or 4 anchors in and the house banked it's solid as a rock.

I've got a big hub style house I use when I take the girlfriend and the kids, a clam 1660 mag and I've experienced the struggles the wind can cause during set up. I'd say get that ice anchor adapter for your drill like Getanet said, most hubs will have straps along the skirt on the inside with grommets for the ice anchors, I don't have one of those adapters and I'm thinking it might be the best $15 I could spend, lol. 

dont use my eskimo quickish 3 since I got the clam scout. when i did i used the screws that came with it and tied down with ropes on the center of the hub when windy.  i put a nice rope on all of the hubs.  it has the spots to anchor in the corners also but i just used ropes.  might have to sell it. 

38 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

dont use my eskimo quickish 3 since I got the clam scout. when i did i used the screws that came with it and tied down with ropes on the center of the hub when windy.  i put a nice rope on all of the hubs.  it has the spots to anchor in the corners also but i just used ropes.  might have to sell it. 

How old is it? Pretty good shape?

2 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

if it's eyeguy's it's probably full of squirrel holes and bbq stains. LOL!

LOL  Jim !  

perfect condition it is in. :)  2 more tree rats bit the dust today. 

Its the older green one, 1 door, no holes ! ! !  lol   I had a zipper installed in the bag.  me likey

That's actually a great price, being that it is insulated. From my on-ice experience, when it comes to hubs, I'll never not go insulated. The main thing I use the hub for is a warming shack on marginally cold days with groups or fishing out of when its super cold. With Eskimo's insulated fabric (I'm on my second insulated hub from them - the first one I outgrew with the amount of people I take out so I went bigger now) I hardly ever have to turn the heater above low once its warm in there...

I've had 3 hubs. The first was a 6x6 off brand, it was a good shack but wanted bigger so I sold it and bought a clam summit (6x8). My opinion: a perfect 2 man shack, just wish it was insulated and I had the floor. I really like the shack though. 

Last spring I got an eskimo 6120i for when I take my wife and kids or have 3-4 guys fishing.  After owning an insulated hub I would never buy a hub that's not insulated.