• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod bag

Jim Uran

Striker transporter looks bad azz too!!! I've heard a ton about the otter over the year but I like a bag with some side compartments and stuff too. I had a clam rod locker for a couple of years but the zipper went to dump on me. 

I tried them a couple of years ago but the zipper didn't quite cut it for me, I suppose that would be the case for anything with a zipper nowadays? 

Does anyone have any personal experience with a striker rod bag or transporter? 

I have one of the Cabela's double-sided Tundra bags I've been happy with so far.  I can get about 10 combos in there, as well as I have 6 or 7 tackle boxes in the outside pockets.  I use golf bag club tubes that I cut down on the rods to help keep things a little more secure and untangled.  Zippers seem to be solid.

I also had the Rapala one with protective tubes, but had issues with zippers... like many others... I use the Otter hard sided one unless I am taking whole family out (6 total)  and need more rods then I still use the Rapala one also. I fit 4 easily in the Otter.

I'm following this thread because #1  I'm done messing with zippers and #2 I'm done removing hooks that snagged the lining in my rod bag.   That #2 is a huge complaint right there. Should be fishing, not doing surgery.  I'd go back to the bucket but need rod protection.  I've seen some hard cases but they are asking too much money for them.

I posted this yesterday on another forum, not sure if you read both so I'll share my thoughts here because it's the same question the guy asked over there:

I have a hard gun style case and it works great. I have it fitted for 7 rods and I could run it over and they’d be fine…

I have to say, the Striker Transporter Bag has been great this year too. I actually got it to carry all my other stuff – ION batteries, extra gloves, tackle boxes, etc etc. But, I’ve used it a ton as a rod bag this season. In all honestly I’ve taken it every single trip trip out this year, and I bet I’ve taken my hard case about 50% of the time (or less when I sit and think about it). When I want to pack light, I throw 5 rods in my Transporter Bag and head out. I walk into a lot of lakes in the woods, and being able to throw everything in there and throw it on my back has been awesome. When I take the shack and ATV or Snowmobile, then I take the hard case. I have two buddies that needed new rod cases this year and they’ve seen both set-ups. Both have bought the Transporter Bag. For what its worth.

I'm watching too.  My two Marcum bags with rod tubes are wearing out but they were the best rod bags I've had.  So I just keep repairing them.  No zipper issues but the Velcro has worn out.  I haven't been too impressed with the soft sided bags that I've seen out there..

I use broke down shotgun cases. They fit perfectly in my fish trap Pro and otters. U can only fit two combos per case and you have to breakdown reel handles. They are tough and compact haven't had any of my Thorne Bros rods broke yet and its been 10 yrs ive had them.  I have 4 of them and lable them for certain species this way I always have the right setups for the species I'm after that day.