• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elite 5 chirp vs Helix 5 di

Rip_Some_Lip

Question

I am looking at getting a new graph for the boat and was looking at a Humminbird Helix 5 DI with GPS. Today I saw a good deal on a Lowrance Elite 5 CHIRP that is hard to beat.

The Humminbird Helix 5 DI is on sale for $240 with a free screen cover and free shipping. It has sonar, down imaging and GPS.

The Lowrance Elite 5 CHIRP is on sale for $300 with $50 rebate offer. It also comes with free screen cover and free shipping. It also has sonar, down imaging and GPS. I believe this unit normally goes for a price around $500 so it is a great deal.

I don't have any experience with either unit so I am asking for opinions from people who have or had these units. I was looking at the Helix until I saw the deal on the Elite 5. I have had a couple different Lowrance units in the past and currently are using a X 67c on the boat. I also need some advice on which lake map software to use. I am leaning toward the Elite 5 CHIRP but have heard good about the Helix too. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by Rip_Some_Lip

20 answers to this question

I've got the helix 5 but not the DI or GPS model.  I use it for very different purposes.  I have it set up as a portable unit for use in my canoe and I've also got the ice transducer and have used it on the ice.  So far I love the unit but I can't compare it to the Elite 5.

I have the same questions as you, Rip.  Both seem like pretty good basic units, IF they hold up.  I am lucky to use my boat 10 to 12 times a season and cannot afford a top end combo.  Anybody look at the new Garmin combos?  They look good, too.  I think the $50 rebate on the Elite ends on feb. 29th so need to make a decision soon.  Any input will be appreciated.

FWIW we got a Elite 5 Ice Machine( no CHIRP) at the Duluth Ice Fishing Show last season & adapted that to go on the bow of our boat as our old unit had died. We didn't get to use it that much last winter but did in the boat & we are still learning how to use it right. It has worked fine for what we wanted. Found ours at the Marine General booth & had to go to the store to get the chip, which they gave us the wrong 1 initially. After contacting them, we went in & got the right Navionics chip. I believe it was much the same deal as they have going on now.

Got to thinking, ours is Insight not Navionics. The 1st chip they gave us was the Global 1 (Ocean). The 1 we are using seems to be accurate for the area we're in. RSL did you get back up our way for Christmas this year?

Edited by gunner55

6 minutes ago, LoonASea said:

Has any one priced a CHIRP transducer???  Chirp technology would be great for fishing Lake Superior but I cant afford the transducer as the price I seen for my unit was close to $5,000.00 

Huh?  The whole kit and caboodle for what Lowrance or Bird or Garmin call "chirp" is well under a grand for a 7 inch display included. 

to the contrary....  The elite "chirp" finders are available packages with a transducer.  eg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/lowrance-reg-elite-5x-chirp-sonar/1846022.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlowrance%252Bchirp%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=lowrance+chirp#BVQAWidgetID

note the q and a. 

There is also a "chirp transducer" for the navico sonar hub for 299. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/lowrance-reg-tm-150-chirp-transducer/1958082.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlowrance%252Bchirp%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=lowrance+chirp

Now this is not the same as the chirp used by the military to increase output power and narrow the pulse width by running a pulse of varying frequency through a dispersive filter.  I am not even clear why they call it "chirp" but they do and it comes with a transducer if you desire one.  

I am not sure what HB has for repair service but keep in mind with lowrance if you have problems with your unit internally they do not do repairs. 

I have 2 elite 5 ice machines and the newest one last year gave me the blank screen the first time I went to use it ice fishing. I called tech support and they told me their policy is that you send in your not working unit and they send you back another unit at a discounted price and make it sound like a new unit but it's actually a refurbished unit that has been repaired by their techs and inspected for performance. The price they give you is less than an open market refurbished unit but still quite a bit and the thought of getting a rebuilt unit that may need something done to it in not too long made me decide to decline the offer. 

I am looking at possibly replacing my defective one with a HB helix.

If you haven't bought a chip yet I think I have a navionics insight 2013 chip you can test out any time you want to see if you like the format.

Just wondering if anyone bought a HBird. Helix 5DI/GPS combo with the Navionics+ that the big C store has on sale right now?  Thinking about getting one, since the price seems real good, but I keep thinking there must be a reason for that good of price besides end of season and I hate to find  out  some other reason AFTER the purchase.  Any help will be appreciated.

the one that is on sale  with the navionic chip does that come with DI and SI or just DI?

The model I found online is Humminbird® Helix 5 DI Sonar/GPS Combo but in the description it mentions Side Imaging and Down Imagine? 

" DualBeam PLUS transducer included. 455kHz/85° frequency/coverage for Down Imaging and Side iImaging®. 200kHz/20° or 83kHz/60° frequency/coverage for DualBeam PLUS with SwitchFire. IPX5 waterproof rating. Included Navionics+ mapping supplies 1-ft. contours of more than 18,000 lakes in the U.S. and Canada "

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

sorry I didnt mean to hi jack but I contacted Cabellas and the SI is not included, I figured it was a misprint but if I could have got the SI model plus the chip for $350 I would have pulled the trigger

that would have been spectacular deal.