• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F-150 or silervado

Now there's a loaded question! Love my F-150.....:grin:  In the end, it comes down to what YOU like. Take both out, and drive them a lot. Highway. In town. Through snow. Compare mileage and towing capacity for what you want....in the end, your heart will tell ya which one you like the best.

Edited by RebelSS

I went from 2011 Ford (F150 Ecoboost) to 2015 Chevy (Duramax) this last year, and can't wait to get back in a Ford.  They are MUCH more refined.  Although the Duramax is sweet and has a somewhat noticeable increase in power, the Ecoboost is no slouch, and did everything I needed it to do.  Fords transmission doesn't hold a candle to the Allison, but that is irrelevant if you are talking about the half tons.  Engine and transmission aside, I'll take every single aspect of my 4 year older Ford any day of the week.     

I'm a tried and true gmc guy and after my last gmc and their junk AFM system I wouldn't  touch one ever.  This is also everyone I personally know that has one is having the problem around 50,000 to 100,000 miles.  You will bring it in and they will measure your oil consumption.  If they find the issue first they will tell you using a quart of oil every 3000 miles is within specs.  Well it's not within my specs.  At 90,000 miles on my gmc I was using 3 quarts of oil every 3 to 4000 miles.  Do an Internet search and you will see ton and tons of my same claims.  You will also see people here that say they don't have a problem and hey great for them.  Now if your the guy that buys new every few years hey get what ever you like best as its under warranty.  However I'm the guy that buys at 40,000 miles and drive it for 10 years and sells at 120000 to 150,000.   If GM would ever get an ecoboost I'll be back.  Pulling boats and fish houses are not much of a comparison as the ecoboost is heads and tails above the 5.3 and I'm glad I made the change.  However I was the first of my friends, dad, uncles, brother in law and had to hear what a trader I was.  Well like I said before they are ALL having the oil consumption issues.  I also noticed you said a crew cab.  Make sure you sit in the back of each and the ford will have what will seem like a ton more leg room.

Edited by Down2Earth

GM's 6.2 motor is indeed a workhorse.  I had one  in a '10 model and now have the redesigned one in a '15.  It get 18-20 and will get 15-16 when pulling my boat.  I drove Toyota, Dodge, Ford & Chevy before buying and all had good/bad about them.  I hooked all except the toyota to the boat on test drives and Chevy won.  Its your $$$ so get what feels good to you.

I just saw the ad where they drop the bricks on the Ford/Chevy trucks.  Don't think too many guys will be dropping a load like that to often but the tool box thing got my attention.  Now if that aluminum Ford box is really that thin it would raise some concern.  Yea you can put a bed liner in it but why spend $500 if you don't have to.

7 minutes ago, slammer said:

I just saw the ad where they drop the bricks on the Ford/Chevy trucks.  Don't think too many guys will be dropping a load like that to often but the tool box thing got my attention.  Now if that aluminum Ford box is really that thin it would raise some concern.  Yea you can put a bed liner in it but why spend $500 if you don't have to.

Kinda funny that Chevy doesn't mention that they themselves are designing, and already prototyping an all aluminum body for their own trucks.  In the next year or two I would think that there will be no more aluminum truck bashing by GM.

On 2/1/2016 at 9:07 AM, BSLNORTH said:

Looking at a new 2015 F-150 crew with Eco Boost or 2016 Silverado Crew.  About the same price.  Any thoughts on what you would go with?

Thanks!

Why not get a REAL truck?

ram.jpeg

I just got home from a fishing trip into Canada. One of the guys was driving a chevy with the 6.2 liter (same motor as the Corvette). He did a lot of research into the vehicle before purchase and was completely satisfied with his decision. His towing mileage was pretty good (towing an alumacraft) and is highway mileage was decent as well (sorry I dont remember the actual numbers).

Maybe something to check into....

On 6/12/2016 at 9:14 PM, Big Dave2 said:

Why not get a REAL truck?

ram.jpeg

Agreed. Sold my 2008 ram with the Cummins a while back and this time I was considering getting a chevy 1/2 ton or avalanche. Then I came across a 2014 Ram 1500 with the hemi and 8 speed and this is a great truck. At my former employer they ran chevy's in their fleet(I had a 3/4t Duramax) and the new Rams are nicer than the chevy's we had including the 1/2t silverados. If I had my druthers the only thing I would change is to get the Diesel but that was out of my price range.  In reality all trucks are built really well and there isn't a bad one in the lot as far as features and refinements. 

We took our trap team to Redfield,SD earlier this spring and I rode with one of our other coaches who was driving a suburban with the 6.2 towing a 12' cargo trailer that only had some guns, ammo and suitcases. Left from the Fairmont area and as we pulled up the offramp at Brookings it ran out of gas. Kinda funny but it didn't leave a great impression on me in the fuel mileage category. OTOH I drove my dads Silverado up to Strasburg SD with a car trailer to pick up my Ram and haul it back and it got in the low teens empty going up and about 10-11 hauling the truck back. Economy was much better than I thought it would be and much better than the 6.2 got.

Most of the economy gains come from extra gears in the transmissions and cutting cylinders when on the hwy cruising. My ram registered 22.3 on the lie-o-meter the other week when I took it up to Alexandria and back for the state trap qualifier which I though was really good. Hook up a 7x14 trailer and that drops to 10-12 depending on the wind and how much it can stay in eco mode. 

I run about 20 MPG in my ram on pen and paper.  Old man pulled an 8x16 to Alex this weekend and got 14ish I think pulling up.  No idea what wind was like but traffic was bad all the way up.  Pros and cons to all but I liked the price tag on mine the most.

I'd owned nothing but Fords for most of my life. Finally gave up last year and drove everything, except the Honda because I couldn't find them on the lots in town. The Tundra, F150, Silverado, and Sierra all seemed the same to me and roughly the same price and options. Last minute I went down and drove a Ram 1500 and ended up driving it home the next night. The 8-speed tranny is amazing. Since all of the other trucks were the same it didn't take much to push me over and the tranny did it. I also liked the built-in beer coolers in the truck cab and the standard tailgate lock. They also sound good. I still giggle when I crank the engine and hear it growl.

I also don't drive or accelerate fast, so my pen & paper numbers are the same and match my EVIC. I get 20-21mpg running a 3.21 gear ratio on the highway - about 17-18 mixed city/highway - and 13-14mpg towing my 165 Navigator with a 90hp at 70mph.

Admittedly I was close to getting an ecoboost. Kind of glad that I didn't in hindsight. I'm 25,000 miles into my 2015 Ram and still love it.

Edited by SkunkedAgain