• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clearwater West Atikoken Area Questions

We’re planning a trout run up to Clearwater West Lake near Atikoken, Ontario in late February. We had two snowmobiles lined up but one of them ended up in an accident and is currently unable to be used. We are now thinking of bringing a couple ATV’s to use in its place but have a couple questions.

What are the rules regarding the use of non-resident ATV’s in Ontario? I have not been able to find anything mentioned on the Ministry of Natural Resources page yet.

What are the snow conditions like up there? About how much snow can we expect to find on Clearwater? Would it be too deep for ATV use? 

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I would say that 95% of the time you would have 0% chance of getting anywhere on wheelers in February.  Even if they had no snow right now they probably would be by then. 6 inches of powder is one thing but it gets hard and crusty and can be impossible for a wheeler to get though especially when consider drifts that are 1 or 2 feet tall.  Late March is more like wheeler time but I wouldn't take wheelers up any time of year without some trustworthy up to date local info.  You'd hate to drive all the way up there just to get stuck 100 feet onto the lake....    

5 hours ago, Mad Mulcher said:

I would say that 95% of the time you would have 0% chance of getting anywhere on wheelers in February.  Even if they had no snow right now they probably would be by then. 6 inches of powder is one thing but it gets hard and crusty and can be impossible for a wheeler to get though especially when consider drifts that are 1 or 2 feet tall.  Late March is more like wheeler time but I wouldn't take wheelers up any time of year without some trustworthy up to date local info.  You'd hate to drive all the way up there just to get stuck 100 feet onto the lake....    

But I have a Brute Force. :grin:

On February 1, 2016 at 8:38 AM, BobT said:

We’re planning a trout run up to Clearwater West Lake near Atikoken, Ontario in late February. We had two snowmobiles lined up but one of them ended up in an accident and is currently unable to be used. We are now thinking of bringing a couple ATV’s to use in its place but have a couple questions.

What are the rules regarding the use of non-resident ATV’s in Ontario? I have not been able to find anything mentioned on the Ministry of Natural Resources page yet.

What are the snow conditions like up there? About how much snow can we expect to find on Clearwater? Would it be too deep for ATV use? 

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob I have fished Clear Water 3 time in Jan of this year already and there is starting to be slushy areas that will be hard to run a 4 x 4 on. We have 13" of good ice with about 7" of snow that's been setting down. Take the snowmobile and if you need a extra rent one for the day at Browns.you won't regret the trip.

On 2/7/2016 at 1:49 PM, david mccullough said:

Bob I have fished Clear Water 3 time in Jan of this year already and there is starting to be slushy areas that will be hard to run a 4 x 4 on. We have 13" of good ice with about 7" of snow that's been setting down. Take the snowmobile and if you need a extra rent one for the day at Browns.you won't regret the trip.

Any "inside information" you'd be willing to share to give me a leg up on the rest of the group? Only one of us has ever been there before and it's been a couple decades for him. Waypoints, lure selection, depth,... Did I mention waypoints? :grin:

we will be there on the 17th and may leave on the 21st or 22nd 

we don't stay and Browns, I have a home in Atikokan. but I leave my Trailer and sleds there at night.

you will want to have some tube jigs { white works the best ) and just plane jigs also.

Try to fish White Otter one day, there you can be fishing Trout and Walleye in 65' and still get the big Trout.

I'm heading up the beginning of March. I've been there once, and had decent success. This year, we want to head to White Otter as well. Are there lake maps anywhere for Clearwater and White Otter? I can't find anything, anywhere online.

Thanks!

Waltz is a small sporting goods store inAtikokan. They should have the maps available for that area.

Barry at Browns Clearwater should also carry them.

I would stop at Walts First before heading up to White Otter.

the Ice was good with about 4" of slush on the top. 

Should be better after the cold snap on Sunday 

Good Luck

Just got back on Wednesday. Really had a hard time getting the trout to commit. Could see them on the sonar following our jigs and such but someone sewed their mouths shut. Most fish echos we saw were in the 55' - 60' depth over 65' - 75' of water.

Lots of slush around with about 13" - 15" of good ice. The only cooperative fish we found were on White Otter. Tube jigs were our best solution. 

Had light rain and snow on Saturday, -10 F. Sunday, -20 F. Monday morning, and then it warmed to about freezing on Tuesday and snowing. Surprisingly slushy on Tuesday despite the previous two days' temps. 

Dave, sorry I didn't get a chance to call you before we went up. I actually forgot that you gave me your contact info. 

Hi Bob

We had that same weather and slush but were able to get around ok. Had 2 sleds break down and luckily Barry was able to help us out.

I think those fish you were marking were White Fish.  We change over to Crappie rigs with eather small Waxie or Gulp to get these guys. They have that small mouth like Sunfish and ther fun fishing.

we had it happen twice now when we had the light rigs and hooked a 40" Lake Trout on 6 lb line and 1.5 hrs latter.

A buddy just lost a big one that Friday you were arriving on. Did get some video of the fish below the ice for a  souvenir.

If you get back up there give me a call.

I live in Forest Lake Mn 612 865 0589

Take Care

Dave