Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

MossyMO64

SV'nSear Rib Roast

4 posts in this topic

Sous Vide a small rib roast (4.25 lbs.) for 7 1/2 hours at 130º.  Here is the roast just out of the vacuum seal.

DJAjpw.jpg
-----

Seasoned the roast with Tatonka Dust.

Q1hYTC.jpg
-----

Set the roast directly over the Vortex for a fast sear on all sides while we had twice baked potatoes and shrimp in cast iron cooking indirect around the Vortex.

gXtW2Q.jpg
-----

Here is the roast after the sear.

AhNk11.jpg
-----

Then while the roast was resting made some garlic toast directly over the Vortex in a cast iron pan.

D7lfCh.jpg
-----

The entire roast was evenly cooked to our preference... made for a heck of a excellent meal not to mention it should serve a few more meals of leftovers of prime rib on toast sandwiches!

RS19si.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mossy...looks delicious! I don't have any experience with this method of cooking, except for a guy at work that made one out of a surplus laboratory temperature bath, and he said it worked great. My question is: have you used it for tougher cut of beef or pork, and it so, how did it work?

MossyMO64 likes this

1 hour ago, Cooperman said:

Mossy...looks delicious! I don't have any experience with this method of cooking, except for a guy at work that made one out of a surplus laboratory temperature bath, and he said it worked great. My question is: have you used it for tougher cut of beef or pork, and it so, how did it work?

We have had the sous vide 3 years and used it around 6 to 8 times, we really need to use it more often. Beef short ribs are generally a tougher cut to get tender, we did 96 hours at 135º and then finished searing on the grill... was absolutely melt in your mouth tender!