Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

leechlake

Dinner-I understand now

17 posts in this topic

Tonight I'm making that vinegar potato chip fish that was posted about a week ago.  Daughter and I will probably be alone since Mr LL Jr doesn't have school tomorrow so he will be out working his magic if you know what I mean.

What I can finally understand is I'm forced to do something that many of you fisherman of little ability have to do.  Store bought fish...ugh.  Deb picked up some Tilapia because if I bought it I'm wagering it could have ended up being on the cover of the Natl Enquirer like when Johnny Manziel bought booze at the liquor store.  Nobody would believe that I, an expert angler, did not have any fish in inventory.  I haven't wet a line since mid October and well...we all know about the garbage can incident, 40 filets gone!!!

I will post a photo and the opinion of the fish and Democrat conversation with my daughter.  I'm working on this climate change thing.  Like the other issues if you leave the facts out and just concentrate on emotion it isn't that hard to believe.  Baby polar bear died...climate change.

Let us know how that Mexican fish turned out.  Farmed by non-union folks.  I actually tried it a couple of times.  Pretty good fish for store bought.  I thought I had it bad just getting out for the first time since last October myself last Saturday.  Fortunate to get some trout though.  Smoking some Canadian bacon right now.  good luck.

bobberineyes and leechlake like this

Leechlake

I had to do that just once, buy fish that is. I had some surprise company give me a call telling me they were in town and were going to come look me up for a nice fish dinner. I was out and my neighbor Chuck was also out so I had to ride into town. There was no way that I was going to go into the fish store and buy fish so what I did is I went and found me a couple of kids to go inside and buy it for me. They would not accept my money but instead wanted me to go to the liquor store for them. I got my fish but I slipped out the back door of the liquor store and stiffed the kids. Embarrassing I know but not nearly as embarrassing as going to a store and buying fish..

:D:cry: i would go without eating fish if i had to resort to buying it ;)

2 minutes ago, smurfy said:

:D:cry: i would go without eating fish if i had to resort to buying it ;)

Boar said you had some neighbors that fished a lot.  Glad they help you out... :)

reinhard1 likes this

5 minutes ago, leechlake said:

Boar said you had some neighbors that fished a lot.  Glad they help you out... :)

:mad::crazy: I wouldn't consider boar a real reliable source!!!!!!!!!! :P:D

leechlake likes this

every since he declared he passed his CDL I've been driving on the right shoulder just in case a semi comes the other way.  Ya never know when Boar The Student Driver may be whipping along taking selfies.  I hear ya.

I tried it a little while back, it is good. I ended up just crushing the chips in a ziplock with a rolling pin then dunking in egg, but I think next time I'll make more of a batter like the recipe calls for.

I had a bag marked 3 eyes, after it was un thawed turned out it was 1 1/2 northern filets and 1 filet of an eye, can only imagine what shape I was in when these got packaged :crazy:. So their i was thawing out tilapia to add more for dinner. ..worked out in the long run.;)

leechlake likes this

When I was working I was always honest with my customers.  Got to know many.  Lot of them fished and a lot of them bought fish LOL.  I always told them when asked "have you tried this type of fish", that I have never bought fish in my life.  Just told them that we sell a lot of whatever type of fish asked about [which was true].  Kind of like a badge of honor for me for many years.  

Been like that for most of my life until a couple of years ago when my mother-in-law got ill and I had to stay home most of the time.  Never put the boat in that year.  The fishing I did was old school, off shore up north in a couple of spots I used to fish off shore as a kid.  Still produced but didn't satisfy our need for fish.  So besides my brother giving me some and the shore fishing it was off to the store for tilapia.  So that's been my experience in buying fish.  I better get busy and catch some fish because we start the DIET in the second week of February.  3 rainbows and one nice brown trout in the bank so far.  Don't want to loose my man card again.  good luck.

bobberineyes likes this

I've bought fish before.  With the possession limit it's impossible to do otherwise unless I'm at the cabin.  I will put my foot down if it came to buying fish if I was at the lake but at home it's happened.  I feel better now...

Tilapia is a nice firm fish with zero taste.  Perfect for when you're going to batter it up.

reinhard1 likes this

27 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I've bought fish before.  With the possession limit it's impossible to do otherwise unless I'm at the cabin.  I will put my foot down if it came to buying fish if I was at the lake but at home it's happened.  I feel better now...

Tilapia is a nice firm fish with zero taste.  Perfect for when you're going to batter it up.

maybe if you wrote down directions  more carefully your wife would understand!!!!!!!!:P:D

Last talpia I had was woody and tasted muddy:-(     I won't eat that again...ever!

image.jpegI need to catch some eyes or perch or crappies.  This batter is good but the tilapia meat itself was mushy.  Zero flake to it.  That's the fishes fault not the chip batter.  I liked it a lot.

Edited by leechlake
reinhard1, JP Z and bobberineyes like this

ok laurel and stan,  for one thing, i cant belive u cant catch fish, LL, and it looks burnt, nice try tho. and i hope i see u on the road, stay on shoulder.:P:Psmurf. just keep.wishing buddy. just keep wishing.

leechlake likes this

3 hours ago, leechlake said:

every since he declared he passed his CDL I've been driving on the right shoulder just in case a semi comes the other way.  Ya never know when Boar The Student Driver may be whipping along taking selfies.  I hear ya.

Maybe that CDL was for the manure spreader???;):confused:

leechlake and reinhard1 like this

actuallyy, LL, the dish looks really good.  its awsome yu and ur daughter spend time together like that, the way you give time to see her side of things and to.openly listen to her concerns is the greatest parenting tecnique. kids, teens, young adults, all want to be heard and their opinions take seriously.  its fun too cook with ones children, they.really tend to open up. Great job!

reinhard1, leechlake and JP Z like this

Looks Great Leech, and I agree.  Great that you spend time with you daughter.....and listen to her opinions, etc.  No matter how "lefty looney" they may be :)

reinhard1 likes this