• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flying with fishing gear

skibass

I took a trip to Costa Rica recently and brought fishing gear.  Tackle, hooks, and any tools you need to check with your luggage.  For rods you should get a travel type rod, there are some nice 7' 3 piece rods that break down into 30 inch lengths.  I took two in a 2" diameter tube and even though the airline I used (Sun Country) says on their page that it is too long for carry on I was not hassled by anybody.  I have read on numerous other websites from other guys who fly with rods that they also are not told to check them, some airlines are more lenient than others I suppose.  My flights were only half full, so there was no space issue in the overhead compartments.  I think if you have a 4' tube or longer you may get told to check it.   If your luggage is big enough, a 30" travel rod might also fit diagonally inside it.  

Fishing reels and line are also an issue, especially if you have braided line.  I read that the braid is not allowed as carry on, and coming back from Costa Rica they would make you strip it off.  Some guys take off the spools and put them in their checked luggage and carry the rest of the reel in their carry-on because sometimes they get stolen by airport employees...  

If you want to bring fish home, plan to have a small cooler and figure out how to vacuum seal your fish and freeze it before getting on the plane.  I brought fish home from CR this way and it worked fine.   I had a good soft-sided cooler inside my checked luggage and the meat was still frozen when I got home.  

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, Cheetah said:

For rods you should get a travel type rod, there are some nice 7' 3 piece rods that break down into 30 inch lengths.  I took two in a 2" diameter tube and even though the airline I used (Sun Country) says on their page that it is too long for carry on I was not hassled by anybody.  

This is what I used recently. I carry on, and put it under the seat in front of me, just fits. That way I didn't have to deal with the madness that can be the overhead bins. Passed through the airports and customs just fine.  Reel and tackle in the checked bag. 

3 hours ago, MN BassFisher said:

Happy to hear about filet knives being able to fly in checked luggage. I will be bringing one down to Florida when I go in a month.

I had two knives in my checked luggage..............that's what happens when you watch Sicario two weeks before heading to Mexico. :)