• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Fork Trip

skibass

I'm flying down to Dallas to fish Lake Fork in April. I've never flown with fishing gear before and am wondering what the best way to go is? I'm assuming I should put my tackle box inside my suitcase and I'm planning on bringing my GPS unit in my carry on. The main concern is hauling rods with. We have 5 guys taking the same flight and plan on consolidating our rods into 2 separate rod tubes. Does anyone know the restrictions for doing this or have any tips? The other option is to mail the rods down there in advance, as we know the resort owner. Our airline will charge us around $30-40 for the additional luggage so that cost could be used to ship them UPS if that's a better choice.

Any advice from people who have done trips like this in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have been down to El Salto the past two years and have put my tackle in my suit case and rods in a rod tube. Had no problems or damage going down. Most airlines will just charge $40 for the rod tube. I put rod sleeves on the rods and rap a small towel around the top of the rods for extra cushion. But like I said in two years heading down to El Salto I've never had an issue. 

I flew to California with rods and they broken the tip on one when they checked it.  I was using a telescoping rod tube, and when they put it back together they pushed to hard on it and snapped the tip.  Naturally I didn't notice it until I got home.  If I had to do it again I would use a full length rod tube not a telescoping one.