• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane line from tank to house

Moon Lake Refuge

How did everyone run their propane line from the regulator to the inside of the house?  Any pics or products would be helpful, is there a threaded plate that can be mounted to the outside of the house?  Would imagine just punching a hole wouldn't be the way to go...

Thanks,

I had a rubber line made at a local gas shop - actually two separate lines.  The first line runs from the regulator through a hole I poked through the diamond plate and aluminum shell to a manual shutoff valve inside the shack.  The second line goes from the shutoff valve to the forced air furnace.  I used a step up bit to drill the hole to 7/8" for a 5/8" O.D. rubber line and ordered a rubber grommet from Grainger to fit exactly (took a little bit of time to wedge everything in the hole).  I put the grommet on the line first due to the fittings being nearly 7/8" themselves and slid it down the line and then used a flathead screwdriver to gently push the rear "seal" of the grommet though the hole.  I then used some Loctite 2-1 Seal and Bond and applied a very liberal coat to the outside all the way around the hole and nearly an 1" up the rubber line.  After the caulk set the line isn't going anywhere!

Grommet:  Grommet Link

Loctite:  Loctite Link

Cable Tie Mounting Bases:  Bases Link

Xtreme Cable Ties:  Cable Tie Link

On the inside I used some square cable tie mounting bases and some arctic rated (-40F) cable ties to secure the line and shutoff valve.  The mounting bases have an adhesive on the back but I also used a screw to hold them secure to the cedar floor trim.  I had to use two cable ties per mount just because I didn't have enough room between the edge of the mounting bases and the wall.  One tie was ran parallel to the line itself and cinched as tight as it could go.  The second cable tie was ran through the first cable tie and around the line a cinched down.  After I was done the line doesn't budge an inch!  Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture but here is what the inside looks like. 

20160118_181018.thumb.jpg.1d4679e8eca872

18 minutes ago, YettiStyle said:

I had a rubber line made at a local gas shop - actually two separate lines.  The first line runs from the regulator through a hole I poked through the diamond plate and aluminum shell to a manual shutoff valve inside the shack.  The second line goes from the shutoff valve to the forced air furnace.  I used a step up bit to drill the hole to 7/8" for a 5/8" O.D. rubber line and ordered a rubber grommet from Grainger to fit exactly (took a little bit of time to wedge everything in the hole).  I put the grommet on the line first due to the fittings being nearly 7/8" themselves and slid it down the line and then used a flathead screwdriver to gently push the rear "seal" of the grommet though the hole.  I then used some Loctite 2-1 Seal and Bond and applied a very liberal coat to the outside all the way around the hole and nearly an 1" up the rubber line.  After the caulk set the line isn't going anywhere!

Grommet:  Grommet Link

Loctite:  Loctite Link

Cable Tie Mounting Bases:  Bases Link

Xtreme Cable Ties:  Cable Tie Link

On the inside I used some square cable tie mounting bases and some arctic rated (-40F) cable ties to secure the line and shutoff valve.  The mounting bases have an adhesive on the back but I also used a screw to hold them secure to the cedar floor trim.  I had to use two cable ties per mount just because I didn't have enough room between the edge of the mounting bases and the wall.  One tie was ran parallel to the line itself and cinched as tight as it could go.  The second cable tie was ran through the first cable tie and around the line a cinched down.  After I was done the line doesn't budge an inch!  Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture but here is what the inside looks like. 

20160118_181018.thumb.jpg.1d4679e8eca872

Excellent info, thanks.  Anyone see any issue with running it through the wall inside the house?  Would obviously have any fittings accessable, would just like to keep it a little more hidden if possible.

To get gas into my house I made a fitting out of a 3" or so piece of threaded black pipe from the hardware store. I welded a homemade flange onto it. Drilled a hole through the house wall, caulked it up and mounted the pipe to the house. I left just enough pipe sticking out in the inside for a fitting. Then I could use straight or angled fittings on the ends and run rubber hose to those fittings. No sharp bends in the rubber hose and no worries about cutting a rubber hose where it goes through the tin. It will also never leak water where it goes through the wall.

I ran a 3' line from regulator to a black metal pipe long enough to go thru the wall into a brass 3 way T. From this I ran separate lines to my forced air furnace, stove and no vent heater. Each line has its own isolation valve, that way if you have an issue with any one of the three, it can be shut down. I'm kinda a safety nut, so the $$ for the extra valves and separate lines was a no brainier. I bought all the flexible gas line with fittingsfrom Ice Castle. About $3/'. No one around Duluth makes gas hose anymore. A liability thing I was told. Everything is held in place with clamps. 

image.png

Thought I'd pull up this old thread since I'm about to start running propane lines in my build.  I'm looking at using rubber lines and picked up an assortment of Mr Heater propane lines and fittings last night.  Each one says not for use indoors.  I'm assuming they put that on there for liability reasons, but I thought I'd check on here and make sure people have used them in this way before with success before I get started.

Before I ran lines I searched the web for similar questions. Most info I found was on a RV type forums. Most recommended black pipe for main lines and flex copper for appliance connections and only a short rubber hose from the regulator into the house. Most discouraged from using rubber more than that. No idea how reputable the sources were but it's what I went with. 

I have a black pipe riser that supports my regulator. That 90's to a threaded tee just inside the wall which then converts to 1/2" flex copper.