• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is wrong with me???

Scoot

DonBo warned me this would happen and I have to admit, I thought "No way!  That'll never happen!"  However, it has...  I'm super excited for Spring turkey hunting!  We get to start off early this year-- my son won a turkey picture/hunting contest and gets a free trip to California in mid-March to hunt turkeys on their two day youth season.  I'm really excited about that!  Also, my eight year old daughter would like to come out turkey hunting with me this year, so I'm also really jacked about that too!  I'm going to try like heck to get her in a good spot this year and to give her a chance at a bird!  I'm also going to try like heck to get my son and maybe a buddy or two of his a chance at a bird as well.  Last, I've got a good friend who's never turkey hunted who'd like to come along on a turkey hunt this year.  He called in the last bull elk I shot and I'd love to call in a turkey for him (we've taken turns doing these kinds of hunting favors and it's my turn!)  Hopefully we can find some cooperative birds and get them within bow range.  If not, I guarantee we'll have a lot of fun trying! 

I'm not a crossbow guy, but I need to get one set up and ready for my daughter (she's not strong enough to pull the required weight of a bow yet).  I need to figure out how to run the one I'm borrowing and also get some bolts that are long enough to run Magnus Bullheads on them.  Then I need to get it shooting where it's supposed to with the Bullheads.  I'm also going to swap my son over to Bullheads, so I need to get him sighted in and ready to rock and roll for the March trip.  I've got a work trip next week, but once I'm back I'll be digging in and getting to work on all of this.  Yeehaa, something to look forward to! 

DonBo, I can't believe you were right on this one!  :D

1 hour ago, Scoot said:

DonBo, I can't believe you were right on this one!  :D

This one???  :cool:   This wasn't too difficult to predict.  EVERYONE who has the opportunity to hunt a good spot, just once, is going to be hooked.  Welcome to the addiction  :grin:

Welcome to the crew Scoot!

Cheetah,

With all of the chokes and new ammo offerings the 20 gauge guns are lethal out beyond 40 yards.  After seeing the pattern and turkey's taken with my daughter's gun my dad switched to a 20 gauge and never missed a beat.

Knock it off Scoot!  I've got a tropical vacation, perch fishing, and a lake trout trip coming up, I can't be thinking about turkeys just yet!  I was filling the softener with salt on Monday and my decoy caught my eye.  It gave me a funny feeling in my stomach.  Hopefully the turkeys will cooperate on our trip this year!

3 hours ago, NoWiser said:

Hopefully the turkeys will cooperate on our trip this year!

As much fun as we've had on those trips, and it has been a ton of fun, we have yet to notch a tag on a bird.  I predict that will be different this year!  If Jon is able to come with us we'll likely have three different blinds up at a time and I hope/expect that we'll be able to find a bird dumb enough to come into the deeks and someone will make good on the chance.  Regardless, we'll have fun trying! 

I've got a trip to AZ next week and a family trip soon after to CA.  Both will be fun, but the tail end of the CA trip will be for the hunt Ryan won and I'm really excited about that!  That'll kick off the turkey season for us and I sure hope I can put some birds in front of a few people this year. Looking forward to it for sure!

Wait till you start hanging tags on birds! Its as exhilarating to let an arrow go on a turkey at 4 yards as any other hunt I've been on. Seeing your kids watch birds within reaching distance is awesome. 

I've got the fever too. My 13yr old daughter has starting shooting her bow in preparation for spring. I use a patterning target with a turkey head and neck image. It works great for practicing for using bullheads. 

I bought it off of hsolist from a company called  MK Unique Designs for $39.  I probably should of tried it out before buying it. The thing is that  I am not close to any of the deer and turkey shows to see how they sound in person.

I talk to a buddy that said a walnut and purple heart is a good combo! So figured, what the heck I need a long box call! Looks like a good looking call, for a cheap price.