• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone know a range I can get access to that allows drawing running and shooting?  Cant do anymore stand shoot stand shoot stand shoot its too bleh.  Would like to try some real world scenarios and actually learn to shoot a gun in certain positions and situations not just target paper stand shoot.

Minnetonka Game and Fish in St. Francis/Elk River.  If you become a member you have access to the range.  If not during the summer there are weekly USPSA and IDPA, running and gunning type shooting, matches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays I believe.

Forest Lake also has weekly matches in the summer but I am not familair with that range.  These are the closest with many more available if you look into it.

I wouldn't mind becoming a member to have access to the range.  Thanks for the info, everyone tells me to go and shoot a uspsa idpa match and they have all levels of people shooting from very fresh new gun enthusiast to some real good shooters.  But its a little intimidating would not want to accidentally break a rule do something wrong and get disqualified.  

Being disqualified is always a risk even for the experienced shooters running on the edge.  I will tell you that with practice your skills will grow leaps and bounds ahead of those that only stand and shoot.

The week night leagues are the place to start and not on a weekend match.  Just let the range officer know that you are new and they will help you with the rules.  From there you can progress at your own pace.  There are all skill levels that will show up and shoot at these matches from those that practice on a daily basis to retired people that could be scored with a calander instead of shot timer.  Kids are also encouraged to attend with safe gun handling skills.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION DO NOT ARRIVE WITH YOUR GUN LOADED TO A MATCH OR LEAGUE.  MEET WITH A RANGE OFFICER TO FIND THE SAFETY TABLES WHERE UNLOADED GUN HANDLING IS ALLOWED.

I guess another fear is not having enough mags and ammo to run a match.  What happens when you are out of mags in the middle of a run?  Do you go and only do one run or do you sign up for multiple runs?  Pay to get in?  Cost?  How manny rounds should I expect to need?

Minnetonka Game and Fish Leagues are on Wednesdays.  Set up starts at 4pm for those that can help and shooting will start about 530pm or 6pm.

Handguns must be holstered, on your strong side, with all magazines and ammunition on your person for the most part.  If you run out of ammunition the stage is done.  There will usually be four courses of fire per night with a 32 target/shot requirement maximum per stage.  You wil shoot each stage one time unless there is a range malfunction.  There is generally not a maximum number of shots per stage that you can take or bring with you.  Depending on the type of gun and division you want to run will determine how many rounds you put in your magazines.  I carry five magazines, ten rounds each, but generally will use four per stage.  Entry fee is 10.00 on weeknights and more expensive on the weekends.....25.00 usually.  I would bring a minimum of 150 rounds but would expect to use somewhere near 100 if you do not miss much, some miss alot and some not at all.  Everyone is there to have fun and after a few matches you can get with people that shoot to your skill level if that makes you more comfortable.  If you search on you tube you can find some great videos on uspsa shooting in Minnesota and even some at Minnetonka Game and Fish. 

15 hours ago, HandGunner said:

I guess another fear is not having enough mags and ammo to run a match.  What happens when you are out of mags in the middle of a run?  Do you go and only do one run or do you sign up for multiple runs?  Pay to get in?  Cost?  How manny rounds should I expect to need?

WEAR GOOD SHOES/BOOTS!  You'll need traction and speed.  If you don't really have your feet under you, your hands might not do what you want them to!  Wet, muddy spots can show up randomly.

That was my most memorable take away from the one event I attended.  Shoulda known better but it didn't really occur to me beforehand.  I was too worried about what my hands needed to do.