• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Exploratory Committee RE: 2016 Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Are the rubber floors you're putting in one piece and where is the best place to get them? I must say that I got on here because I'm going to start my build this spring of an 8 X 16 w 4'v and looking for tips, ideas and how to's, and I have went through all your builds on here and they are fantastic. Thank you for doing these! 

8 hours ago, wakemaker31 said:

Are the rubber floors you're putting in one piece and where is the best place to get them? I must say that I got on here because I'm going to start my build this spring of an 8 X 16 w 4'v and looking for tips, ideas and how to's, and I have went through all your builds on here and they are fantastic. Thank you for doing these! 

G Floor is pretty common.  It is pretty expensive.  I found a product (Nitro Roll) that looks virtually identical, and is about 1/3 cheaper.  

3 hours ago, RiverChuckNorris said:

Hey LRG, I've got another thread going but figured I'd just ask you: what do you use for a battery and where do you buy it from?  Thanks!

I have (2) 6 volt Energizer golf cart batteries I bought from Sam's Club.  They were roughly $80-90/each.  They have worked out very well.    

39 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Any thoughts on Wind Turbine power?  Look relatively easy to setup and 500 watts of continuous power almost consistently on the ice would almost eliminate a generator unless your really cranking out power. 

I've definitely given it some thought, not so much recently, but with my last build.  There doesn't seem to be much shortage of wind on the lakes ever, so I think it has very good potential.  The reason I decided against it was due to the noise and vibration I've heard they cause, which may not be the case anymore.  I've seen some on the lake that are nearly silent, and I've heard one or two that sound like a Champion generator.

With already owning a generator that only uses about 1 gallon of gas per day, I'll probably stick with that.  But for future builds, I definitely like the prospect of solar and/or wind!

Started buying my materials for the build yesterday!  Waiting on a couple frame quotes, and then I'll be pulling the trigger on one as soon as the orange house sells.  The price dropped to $21,900 today!  I'll give someone here on HSO a heck of a deal!  

1 minute ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

I've definitely given it some thought, not so much recently, but with my last build.  There doesn't seem to be much shortage of wind on the lakes ever, so I think it has very good potential.  The reason I decided against it was due to the noise and vibration I've heard they cause, which may not be the case anymore.  I've seen some on the lake that are nearly silent, and I've heard one or two that sound like a Champion generator.

With already owning a generator that only uses about 1 gallon of gas per day, I'll probably stick with that.  But for future builds, I definitely like the prospect of solar and/or wind!

Started buying my materials for the build yesterday!  Waiting on a couple frame quotes, and then I'll be pulling the trigger on one as soon as the orange house sells.  The price dropped to $21,900 today!  I'll give someone here on HSO a heck of a deal!  

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a turbine for next winter.  We run an old yamaha generater that is pretty loud and running 400-500 watts consistently could keep us out on the lake for as long or longer then we're ever typically out there.  I like the idea of solar having no noise to deal with at all but it seems to be quite a bit higher price point for comparable energy.  Get what you pay for though like with anything else.  Hope the house sells soon.. Looking forward to the next build!

LRG, You know from reading my posts that I think 12 volt at all is a waste. Generators are too easy and quiet these days to putz with the headaches of batteries and converters. I have a friend that had a wind turbine and every other trick gadget known to mankind, he never used it. He had a section of the inside of the V where most of us put the bathroom that was just loaded with diodes, triodes, and giodes that would take a rocket scientist to figure out. He even machined his own rattle reels out of aluminum and installed buzzers in them. 

PS, to whoever said he wasn't putting a bathroom in his next house has never been out on Red with the big winds and cold we had this year. I thank God every time I overnight it that I put one in. 

Edited by Hawg

19 minutes ago, Hawg said:

LRG, You know from reading my posts that I think 12 volt at all is a waste. Generators are too easy and quiet these days to putz with the headaches of batteries and converters. I have a friend that had a wind turbine and every other trick gadget known to mankind, he never used it. He had a section of the inside of the V where most of us put the bathroom that was just loaded with diodes, triodes, and giodes that would take a rocket scientist to figure out. He even machined his own rattle reels out of aluminum and installed buzzers in them. 

PS, to whoever said he wasn't putting a bathroom in his next house has never been out on Red with the big winds and cold we had this year. I thank God every time I overnight it that I put one in. 

I agree that generators are easy and quite now but ours will also be used as a hunting rig and its nice to be out with zero noise.  The wiring is actually very straight forward, seems to be just as easy as running out a 110 system but I think its all about who's using what.  I tend to forget things a lot including thins like a gas can ha so the more self sufficient the unit for me the better.  Cant go wrong either way as long as you do what works best for you.  I agree on the bathroom though, I dont like to risk more than a few hours without!

Getting closer!  Went and checked out some frames today (LOTS of driving), and I'll be putting my order in Monday morning to pick up the first week of April.  The next frame is going to have to be a little bit custom to accommodate my layout and construction technique, so there is a little lead time involved.  

Alongside my own personal house, I'll be building a 24'+V for my cousin.  We saw that frame today, and it looks like an absolute monster!  The goal is to have both of the shells done in April.  This summer is extremely busy (not even counting building two fish houses), so there won't be much action in July & August, and then I have a multi week elk hunt in September, and an antelope hunt in October.  Balls to the walls in April, is the motto.  

My parts stash is growing by the day.  I'll have 80% of my materials in hand before we start, which saves a lot of time and headaches once construction gets underway.         

Orange house is down to $19,900 or best offer.  All *reasonable* offers will be entertained.  

You make these builds seem so easy Ripper, I wish I was as talented as the folks that take on these types of challenges.  I ordered a 8x12 aluminum frame locally for a skid house I want to build this summer.  After weeks of looking I still cant find a local source for the aluminum sheeting, I may just use pole barn siding from menards if I cant get the materials within a reasonable distance.  Great work and I cant wait to follow you through another build...

5 minutes ago, perchking said:

You make these builds seem so easy Ripper, I wish I was as talented as the folks that take on these types of challenges.  I ordered a 8x12 aluminum frame locally for a skid house I want to build this summer.  After weeks of looking I still cant find a local source for the aluminum sheeting, I may just use pole barn siding from menards if I cant get the materials within a reasonable distance.  Great work and I cant wait to follow you through another build...

Don't know how far is to far but there looks to be a few places around green bay.  Metal supermarkets?

8 minutes ago, perchking said:

it's only about 3hrs south of Rhinelander, typically do they cut them to any specifications your desire?  I will start my own thread when I start so you guys can laugh at my product:)

Don't know if they cut them but you can get a 20 dollar sheers for your compressor that cuts like butter.

7 minutes ago, randerson said:

anything different with your frame orders Galvanized, aluminum, spray on bedliner coatings? I assume you are going hydraulic again ?  

The frame will be hydraulic, galvanized and a little bit longer.  Galvanizing is a pretty hefty add on, but we know paint doesn't last, so it's really the only option for me.  The frame will very likely be around longer than me!

I finished up the final layout details last night.  It will be similar but different.  The 3 biggest changes:

1) Hydronic in floor heat.  Testing this idea is the only reason I'm building a new house.  It started like most great ideas...brain storming out loud after about 19 cocktails.  It has morphed into sleeping with a notebook and graph paper by my bed, and losing a lot of sleep for the last month.  I thought it was a really dumb idea at first (the initial thought was my dads), but after talking with a few smart people and coming up with a design, I'm cautiously confident in this being the sole source of heat.  I've found that it has been done in fish houses a few times, but there are very few details and lots of skeptics.  If it works (look for a Lip Ripper patent!), it's dead silent, extremely efficient, and not all that expensive in the big picture.

I may use the same system to selectively heat the door frame to melt off ice.

2)  "Super insulation" with a wall/thermal break design that nobody else is doing.  Yet. 

3) A lift bed system that will probably change how the manufacturers build their top bunks.  I thought of doing the HappiJac like Ice Castle, but why not come up with my own design?  This one is simple, but really good...I think...  

1 hour ago, perchking said:

Believe it or not, the building/construction part of it is the easy part, as long as you plan well.  The challenging part (for me) is twofold:

1) Tracking down the materials for one-off builds for prices that won't completely blow any illusion of a realistic budget out of the water.  On a build like this, there is at least $10,000, and maybe $15,000 to be saved compared to your normal every day retail prices.  The key is finding the savings.  

2) Time.  The guesstimate on the last build was 400 hours.  With my work weeks in the summer being easily 60-80 hours, it's tough, but I'll figure it out.  If I can get my shell done in April, I'll be good to go without much pressure.  Hoping to cut 100 hours off this one....maybe more.

As far as aluminum suppliers, I'm not familiar with your area.  If you end up in the Minneapolis area, Garelick Steel has some good prices from time to time, and Fish House Supply has white 4x10 sheets for $55 right now.  Voyager Aluminum was really good on my last build, but the initial quote they gave me a couple weeks ago seems really high (back to point #1).  I'm looking for a different supplier with a sharper pencil.

For cutting, you can do some minor cuts with a tin snips.  Harbor Freight sells an air nibbler that works very well for window and door openings.  A circular saw with metal cutting blade works very well on the diamond plate.  If you know all your sheets need to be cut down, I'd highly recommend just having your metal supplier sheer them to length.  I had 17 sheets sheered on the last build for $50.