• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Exploratory Committee RE: 2016 Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Well, it’s looking like 2016 is going to be time for the newest Lip_Ripper Lodge.  While the 2012 house has been incredible to fish out of, I’m getting the itch to build another, and looking for a bit of feedback.  If YOU were building a house, what would you want to see in it?  

Here are some of my basic thoughts:

-8x20 or 8x21 hydraulic frame with tandem axles.  For sure galvanized unless someone can convince me that there is something better.  Who has built you a frame you've been happy with?

-I don’t see any changes to the huge windows, aside from specific placement relative to the floor plan.  

-All aluminum exterior.  Do we like smooth, or lap siding?  Ice Castle is doing a lot of lap.  What color?  Orange really stuck out, and made it easy for others to find the house.  

-Spray foamed top to bottom.

-All LED lights inside and out.  I don’t see changing much here, aside from adding strobes to the outside for finding at night.

-Rubber floor.  Carpet has been good, and I love how warm it makes the floor.  It seems to hold a bit of moisture and fish slime, so I may look at something else.  G Floor seems to be popular.  Any other suggestions?

-How about interior finishing?  I’m on my 4th build with the tongue and groove.  It works well, and is cost effective, but I’m open to something else.  What do we think about that vs the smooth finished birch or maple plywood that has become somewhat common?

-Flooring.  I’ve used nothing but AdvanTech.  Works great and should last forever, but is heavy.  Same with plywood.  I have seen a lightweight composite board mentioned in different places, but haven’t been able to track anything down.  Does anyone have any info on this? 

I’m going to start with a relatively clean slate, so all ideas are very much appreciated!

Can't see spending for a galvanized frame. What does it gain you? Wire brush the affected areas and hit em with spray paint or not. That surface rust isn't going to affect the strength of the frame in our lifetime. 

Sounds like your off to a good start.  I would use sheet vinyl for the floor.  There is some very nice heavy stuff on the market now that even has a little cushion to it.  Its solid vinyl.  No more paper backing so tears and pokes are no problem.

I like the strobe light idea.  I see one builder put LEDs all around the top of the house.  Looks pretty neat and really lights things up.

How about centrally locating the furnace or somehow running some kind of ductwork to evenly distribute heat?  Are most heating units towards the front?  Just a thought.....

I saw some 4x8 sheets of plastic sheeting that was corrugated like cardboard at a lumber yard one time.  It was 1/2' thick and came in a bunch of colors.  Very lightweight and strong and had a slight texture to it.  Fastened with plastic anchors and had a trim piece to connect sheets.  Would be easy to clean and totally waterproof.   No wood look but would save on some weight.

Not considering an aluminum frame?  Pros or cons?

A one piece fender well?  Again,  saw this on another builders page.  Gives the house a clean look.

This should be a great thread.  Hopefully more chime in with ideas.  

What about using different flooring for different areas.  So far I've only seen all carpet or all rubber/vinyl.  Maybe look at doing a section of rubber or vinyl in front of the door where people will track in snow.  That should help keep some moisture off the carpet without sacrificing the warmth.  Maybe could even look at doing a circle of rubber around each hole to minimize moisture from water dripping off fish and also cut down on a little fish slime. 

You'll have to figure out some sort of transition between the flooring materials but you're the smart one here so I'm sure you can figure something out.

I bought a tandem axle from Berkon and built a custom wheel house 3 years. The frame has held up very well I think. I went with all led lights.  

Spray foam top to bottom.  I also mounted and spray foamed my hole liner/sleeves in right away. 

I would build the sidewalls nice and tall. I think mine is 7' 8" high in the center. This is nice for sleeping on top bunk.

I went with 2- 15k btu empire direct vent furnaces. One towards the front  of the house and one towards the back. These are nice a quite and heat the house evenly.

We built our frame from scratch.  Wasnt terribly difficult and saved a few bucks.  Also just got our frame galvenized a few months back from a guy just west of the metro.  Only ran 300 and something I think and it looks absolutely fantastic.  He even gave us a little bottle of brush on galvenizing to touch up spots you have to grind down to weld your walls on.  If you want me to fig up his info let me know but he was really excited to be doing fish houses.

On January 22, 2016 at 10:06 PM, slammer said:

How about centrally locating the furnace or somehow running some kind of ductwork to evenly distribute heat?  Are most heating units towards the front?  Just a thought.....

I'll use a forced air furnace again.  I'm going to see about moving it more towards the center of the house to even out temps a little more.  The best spot on my current house would be under the front bunk, but I am concerned about noise and vibration under a bed.  

Not considering an aluminum frame?  Pros or cons?

I'd love to buy a hydraulic aluminum frame, but I haven't been able to find one.

A one piece fender well?  Again,  saw this on another builders page.  Gives the house a clean look.

I'll look into this.  

Thanks for your info, slammer!

On January 22, 2016 at 1:21 PM, nofishfisherman said:

What about using different flooring for different areas.  So far I've only seen all carpet or all rubber/vinyl.  Maybe look at doing a section of rubber or vinyl in front of the door where people will track in snow.  That should help keep some moisture off the carpet without sacrificing the warmth.  Maybe could even look at doing a circle of rubber around each hole to minimize moisture from water dripping off fish and also cut down on a little fish slime. 

You'll have to figure out some sort of transition between the flooring materials but you're the smart one here so I'm sure you can figure something out.

I like this idea and have given it consideration.  One possibility would be a carpet runner with a semi permanent (or snap in) installation down the middle of the house.  On the sides (where the holes are) I could do either a rubber, or Herculiner floor. Same with the entry.

The carpet is great now, but it does hold some moisture.  I'm not totally against it, as it does seem to add considerable warmth.

The transition should be easy.  A regular carpet transition strip would work well.   

12 hours ago, fishinfan said:

They are mounted from the underside with a few small screws, then we foamed around them. Works out pretty well.

Interesting concept.  This would open up some new hole lighting options, as well. 

Edited by Lip_Ripper Guy

I'm new to the wheelhouse game(1 weekend on the ice & a summer worth of camping), but have been doing research for 2 years prior to making the build vs. buy decision and ended up going with a 8x16 Big Bite, below are my 2 cents..you have the obvious covered.

Interior Finish: Cedar paneling; it is looks nice, smells excellent, helps with insects/critters, and most importantly lightweight! Secondly, limit the amount of floor to ceiling cabinets, as they make the space seem smaller. Integrated 12 volt cooler/fridge that can be powered by shore or vehicle during the tow.

Furnace: Use a ducting system that locates your furnace unit in the center of the house, then strategically place the ducts in front of the door, middle of the house, and one blowing to the rear. Your rubber floor will be dry in 15 minutes.(see picture)

Sink: I built a sink system in mine that uses a typical 12 volt RV water pump with a simple bucket system and can run dry so when it freezes I don't have worry about anything failing. It has been working well so far this past summer and after the first ice trip. I could have executed the idea a little better, but you get the idea. (see picture)

Electric Bed: Every wheelhouse should have a full size bunk that actuates up and down, like what the big name brands are doing. I hate breaking down the table before going to sleep.

Out of the Box Ideas.: 8" catch covers, I don't think there is anything like this on the market today, but it sure would be nice to have a catch cover take up less floor space...depending on if you fish with a 10" auger. Under floor heat: I know it has been done and would be a neat, but not sure if its practical. Dual stacked TVs on the wall: underwater camera and the game playing at the same time. Auto jigger: integrate the power and flush mount on the wall.

Well...that was fun, I'll be tuned into the build!

Furnace Ducts.jpg

Sink.jpg

I've seen in floor heat mentioned in a few places, but I never gave it any serious consideration until now.  There are a couple hurdles to work out, but I think I have a pretty good concept plan.  Forced air will for sure be a backup/secondary system.

Has anyone here personally done a hydronic system in their house?  Or have direct knowledge?

On 1/22/2016 at 9:30 PM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Well, it’s looking like 2016 is going to be time for the newest Lip_Ripper Lodge.  While the 2012 house has been incredible to fish out of, I’m getting the itch to build another, and looking for a bit of feedback.  If YOU were building a house, what would you want to see in it?  

Here are some of my basic thoughts:

-8x20 or 8x21 hydraulic frame with tandem axles.  For sure galvanized unless someone can convince me that there is something better.  Who has built you a frame you've been happy with?

I went with galvanized this time and like it so far, the hydraulic is very nice!

-I don’t see any changes to the huge windows, aside from specific placement relative to the floor plan.  

-All aluminum exterior.  Do we like smooth, or lap siding?  Ice Castle is doing a lot of lap.  What color?  Orange really stuck out, and made it easy for others 

I've had both and prefer smooth for looms and washing and w axing 

-Spray foamed top to bottom.

Absolutely  

-All LED lights inside and out.  I don’t see changing much here, aside from adding strobes to the outside for finding at night.

I have leds inside and outside plus lights on each corner outside and strobes

-Rubber floor.  Carpet has been good, and I love how warm it makes the floor.  It seems to hold a bit of moisture and fish slime, so I may look at something else.  G Floor seems to be popular.  Any other suggestions?

I have carpet again my choice

-How about interior finishing?  I’m on my 4th build with the tongue and groove.  It works well, and is cost effective, but I’m open to something else.  What do we think about that vs the smooth finished birch or 

Cedar with oil based clear finish looks very nice and a 4" diamond plate aluminum base is nice too.

-Flooring.  I’ve used nothing but AdvanTech.  Works great and should last forever, but is heavy.  Same with plywood.  I have seen a lightweight composite board mentioned in different places, but haven’t been able to track anything down.  Does anyone have any info on this? 

AdvanTech sounds like the way to go.

I have a recessed shelf area next to the jack knife couch that has a light and 12 and 120 volt outlets that is very convenient.

I’m going to start with a relatively clean slate, so all ideas are very much appreciated!

4 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

$22,900, which I think is giving someone a heck of a deal, but I want to get it sold ASAP. It's going on the sites right now, but it would be great to see it go to someone here on HSO

I saw it on the ice @ the Brainerd Jaycees Tournament. I have seen it the last 2 years but  didn't want to bother you by checking out the fish house. Any luck there or at the contest?

ALso should of had a "For Sale" sign on it there

When are you going to build a full RV edition that we can all learn from? 

Also I know you've mentioned it in your 2012 build but are you thinking about sky lights in this one? 

Or a live well/ bait well? 

On January 22, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Rubber floor.  Carpet has been good, and I love how warm it makes the floor.  It seems to hold a bit of moisture and fish slime, so I may look at something else.  G Floor seems to be popular.  Any other suggestions?

5 minutes ago, btupy said:

When are you going to build a full RV edition that we can all learn from? 

Also I know you've mentioned it in your 2012 build but are you thinking about sky lights in this one? 

Or a live well/ bait well? 

Not that I don't like your ideas, but... :)

I prefer simple, light, and fast, so I have little to no desire to have the flush toilet and holding tanks.  I wouldn't mind a shower, but even that poses plenty of problems I don't want to deal with, since you still have the holding tanks.  Getting home on Sunday takes long enough without having to find a RV dump station in the winter.  Plus, you are 1 frozen regulator away from having the whole works freeze up on you.  The bucket system works well (enough) and is almost foolproof.     

Even though never is a long time, I can say with certainty that I'll never have a fish house with sky lights.  I've been in 3 Castles with them, and talked to a number of other people with them.  The 3 I've been in have leaked, and I've only talked to one person who said "they aren't THAT bad".  Everyone else doesn't like them due to condensation and heat loss.

I also won't be doing an aquarium any time soon (never).  Again, the freezing problem, and you'd be fighting sloshing water every time you want to move.  My bucket system with a tight fighting lid is fool proof, as long as you don't mix up the bait/fish and #2 buckets ;)

99% sure I'll be doing the G Floor in the house.  Everyone seems to like it.  Carpet has been great...except when it's not (a 2.5 gallon water jug opened up on the way home last weekend).    

Hopefully my house sells soon!  I have some really cool ideas I want to get going on that have never been done in a fish house (that I'm aware of)!  The goal is lighter and more efficient, and I found a way to save at least 400 pounds without too much extra cost.  Summer and fall are going to be very tight for time, so I'd like to get going by May 1 at the very latest.  

22 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Not that I don't like your ideas, but... :)

I prefer simple, light, and fast, so I have little to no desire to have the flush toilet and holding tanks.  I wouldn't mind a shower, but even that poses plenty of problems I don't want to deal with, since you still have the holding tanks.  Getting home on Sunday takes long enough without having to find a RV dump station in the winter.  Plus, you are 1 frozen regulator away from having the whole works freeze up on you.  The bucket system works well (enough) and is almost foolproof.     

Even though never is a long time, I can say with certainty that I'll never have a fish house with sky lights.  I've been in 3 Castles with them, and talked to a number of other people with them.  The 3 I've been in have leaked, and I've only talked to one person who said "they aren't THAT bad".  Everyone else doesn't like them due to condensation and heat loss.

I also won't be doing an aquarium any time soon (never).  Again, the freezing problem, and you'd be fighting sloshing water every time you want to move.  My bucket system with a tight fighting lid is fool proof, as long as you don't mix up the bait/fish and #2 buckets ;)

99% sure I'll be doing the G Floor in the house.  Everyone seems to like it.  Carpet has been great...except when it's not (a 2.5 gallon water jug opened up on the way home last weekend).    

Hopefully my house sells soon!  I have some really cool ideas I want to get going on that have never been done in a fish house (that I'm aware of)!  The goal is lighter and more efficient, and I found a way to save at least 400 pounds without too much extra cost.  Summer and fall are going to be very tight for time, so I'd like to get going by May 1 at the very latest.  

You should've started 4 months ago before we started ours!  Would've been nice to get some new ideas!

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Did you have wet carpet consistently? I put regular house carpet in my house minus the pad. I can walk around my house within 30 min to drilling holes in socks and the floor is never wet. This is my personal preference, but I would never have rubber floor in a house. I'd like to have it feel like a home away from home.

47 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Edited by fishinfan