• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Heading West?

Well, tag application season has started, and I'm already pulling my hair out trying to decide where to hunt this fall!  There are only two things I know for certain.

1. I will be heading to Wyoming for another antelope hunt

2. I will be elk hunting somewhere

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should apply for a guaranteed elk tag in Wyoming, or hold out and continue to build points in that state.  Going for the tag would assure me a fun hunt that could likely involve a week of bowhunting followed by a few days of rifle hunting.  I know we'd get into elk and have a great time.  Passing on Wyoming would allow me to try to draw slightly easier (easy being very relative) to get tags in New Mexico and Arizona while retaining my Wyoming preference points.  Almost certainly this would mean I would end up with a leftover Montana tag or an OTC Colorado tag.

This is a fun time of the year with a lot of anticipation, dreaming about what the fall will bring.  It also comes with much second guessing involving when and where to apply for what.  My phone is filled with texts to and from buddies, bouncing ideas off of each other.

Who else is planning a western big game hunt for this fall?  What do you want to hunt, and where do you want to hunt them?  If you are considering expanding your horizons and heading west, there is no time like the present.  It will only get tougher and more expensive the longer you wait!

I sure wish I had the time, money, and hunting buddies that would allow me to get out west hunting that is for sure!!!  After taking a vacation to Montana this past fall to do some sight seeing I now know that hunting would be very cool out West!!  I will be patiently waiting until next year to read how your hunts go!! HAHA

WY Antelope - Long shot first choice, guaranteed second choice to continue building points.

WY Elk - point only

Also looking to buy a few tickets in the WY raffle. And will again buy tickets in Texas raffle for bighorn. 

13 hours ago, ClownColor said:

Would love too...what's the best place/odds for antelope with rifle?

Yep WY can get left overs in some units while you build points but as you do research you will see the left over areas are difficult access but are doable for sure

You can definitely have a fun hunt in Wyoming with zero antelope points.  Your most important tool will be a GPS with a land ownership chip.  I think you'll also have a better experience if you wait for a couple of weeks after the opener.  The locals will be hunting deer and elk by then and, if you are willing to hike, you should be able to find plenty of animals to chase without competition.  We went out there last year just to give it a try, and I think it will turn into an annual hunt.  It's just too much fun and they just taste too darn good to not do it.

Montana archery elk maybe deer to . Not sure if I will apply or hope there is a leftover . Last few years there has been left over licenses . Last year was just to fun out there to not try it again . 

than just chase the last few deer around home in MN 

Don, I'm not sure if you are aware, but there was a major change in the Arizona draw this year.  Units that use to be a lock with 8 points may very well take many more for a guaranteed tag now.  On the flip side your chances of drawing a random tag without a ton of points is going to go up.  If I were you, I would apply any and every year from here on out because that 8 point unit could turn into a 12 point unit real quick.  Even if you don't really want to draw, put in an application for one of the best units.  It doesn't cost anymore and at least you have a chance.  Just my opinion, and only time will tell what effect the changes will have.  Good luck!

On January 25, 2016 at 0:02 PM, NoWiser said:

You can definitely have a fun hunt in Wyoming with zero antelope points.  Your most important tool will be a GPS with a land ownership chip.  I think you'll also have a better experience if you wait for a couple of weeks after the opener.  The locals will be hunting deer and elk by then and, if you are willing to hike, you should be able to find plenty of animals to chase without competition.  We went out there last year just to give it a try, and I think it will turn into an annual hunt.  It's just too much fun and they just taste too darn good to not do it.

Any advice on particular zones? Or will that be pretty obvious with some research? I've only looked on my phone so far, maps a little hard to read :)

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:16 AM, Pigmeat said:

Any advice on particular zones? Or will that be pretty obvious with some research? I've only looked on my phone so far, maps a little hard to read :)

I couldn't give you the unit we hunted, that would be too easy!!

The link Siwulat posted is excellent.  Click on the units and look for the ones with 100% draw odds with 0 points.  Then look at the maps for the yellow and blue areas that show public land.  Keep in mind a lot of that public land is off limits if it doesn't have a county maintained road going through it.  You can call the county and see if they can send you an overlay of their maintained roads for Google Earth.  With this info you can make an informed decision.  I think you've got a few months so you should have plenty of time to plan a great hunt.  Good luck!

I'm looking at starting to plan for a 2017 Colorado elk hunt with my father-in-law and son (not hunting).

This would be an over-the-counter hunt, second season.  For those of you that have done this, what are the most important things to look for when trying to dial into an initial unit?  I'm starting with the 15-16 hunt guides for CO, which have 2014 data and 3 and 5 year averages.

We would have a truck camper and all-weather tent/screentent, and wheelers for access.  

Any pointers on where to start is appreciated from those that have gone this route.

The Co page has so much info it can be overwhelming at times but its great into read through the statics look at there atlas shows wintering patterns depending on which season you want to go.  I have spent out 2 years planning my trip hopefully I can draw the tag I want this year otherwise I will be getting a left over.