• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Hot Dogs

I know the biggest crime on this forum is to talk about a recipe and not have pics, but it's too late now, as they say.

I made up 10 pounds of skinless venison hot dogs this weekend. Got the mix from Curly's (best seasonings around, IMO) along with their cellulose casings. I have worked with every type of casing, save cellulose as I thought it would be a pain to work with, but the opposite couldn't be more true! They are breeze to stuff, hold up well, and peel like a dream when you're done. Here's my process if you want to try your hand:

• 7 pounds of venison trim
  • 3 pounds of pork butt
  • Curly's Old Fashioned Wiener seasoning
  • 1.5 cups of ice water
  • 2 cups of nonfat dry milk (thanks Reinhard! I use this in EVERYTHING now)
  • 1 T. of jalapeno powder

Sent each meat through the fine plate, mixed it together by hand, then sent that mix through the fine plate one more time. A true skinless dog would be emulsified into a meat mousse of sorts, but I wanted a little more texture so I stopped at this point. I then mixed all the seasonings into the ice water and mixed that into the meat by hand for about 10 minutes. It was cold enough to hurt my hands...you just need to mix until they are numb and keep going. Most important step, IMO, is proper meat mixing.

Next was the stuffing into cellulose casings. Like a collagen casing, the whole tube just fits over your stuffing horn (no soaking required). I use a 5 # vertical hand crank stuffer from LEM. Keeping a consistent diameter was pretty easy and when it was all said and done I used butcher twine to link them up. I think the next time around will be easier yet, but it was similar to stuffing a snack stick. I had hoped to get 6 links to the pound, or about 60 links. I ended up with 56, so that was about perfect. They fall in line between a skinless dog and a bratwurst for size, so think "jumbo hot dog" size and bun length. My plan was to cold smoke and then poach, but I poached a couple first  just to test them and they were so good I never even put smoke to them. Next time around I'll do some in the smoker to compare (had it not been -40 below with the wind chill up here I may have done it this time...I know, I'm a sissy :) ). Poaching was fast--used a barely simmering water and they took 5-8 minutes to get to 160 internal (was shooting for 155 or more). Casings slipped right off and the end result was as smooth, somewhat firm dog that had a great texture and really nice flavor. Surprisingly there was virtually no heat whatsoever (and usually a full tablespoon of jalapeno powder can lift you off the ground), so I guess I will have to up the jalapeno powder or move to habanero powder. Even the misses really like them, and that's saying something. I can see kids really scarfing these down.

Last night as an appetizer I angle sliced 4-5 dogs and brushed with a pure maple syrup and Serrano powder glaze and baked until they got a nice caramelized bark. These little bites were outstanding--sweet at first and finishing with a nice smoky heat. Excited to try a bunch of new recipes with these dogs, and I think they will be great on the grill or heated up in the fish house. I am generally not a huge hot dog fan in terms of store bought links, but these were excellent, and not worrying about mystery meat and a bunch of other additives is the best part ;) .

Edited by pikestabber

with a description like that who needs pictures!  I take pictures of some things I make and it looks kind of silly.  Like a photo of a chuck roast I made last night.  Looked like a clod of beef but tasted great.  If anyone wants to see a picture of your wieners thats there deal.

Great job.

sounds awso.e, ive loomed at those on curleys page, and wonder about them. how much more work is the poaching and desking process? can you stuff them, feeze them, them poach and deskin at ur convience.??

Thanks, all. I've been wanting to try these for a while, and it was fun to figure out the process.

Boar, the poaching and de-skinning is actually really quick. I did the whole "poach and peel" in under an hour and that includes cooling time and packaging (forgot to mention that I gave them a quick cold shower in the sink after poaching). I could get about 20 links in one pot, so it took 3 cycles of about 8 minutes each. As one batch was cooking I was cooling down, peeling, and packaging the one before it. I just used a fillet knife to slit the casing right where the links were tied and they practically jumped out of the sleeve. That said, I can't see why you couldn't freeze and poach these in batches, but now I have 6 dog packages ready to roll for whenever I need them instead doing the poaching process each time I take a package out. I guess one and done would be my recommendation.

I've made them before also Pikestabber but did use casings.  I used hog casings cause I hate sheep casings.  I called them "franks". Used Curley's also.  Thanks for taking the time to post that great step by step.  The "poaching" is something I use for swedish sausage.  Love to see guy's making some great stuff just like you have.  I know they are tasty.  I got to get me some of that powdered Jalapeno myself.  good luck.

I found a place through Amazon that has a bunch of great powdered peppers, etc., and they really help ramp up flavor. So far I have tried the powdered Jalapeno, Chipotle, Habanero, and Serrano, and the Chili de Arbol flakes. All are great and a little dab will do ya!

Edited by pikestabber

2 hours ago, pikestabber said:

I found a place through Amazon that has a bunch of great powdered peppers, etc., and they really help ramp up flavor. So far I have tried the powdered Jalapeno, Chipotle, Habanero, and Serrano, and the Chili de Arbol flakes. All are great and a little dab will do ya!

If you make it to the cities, Penzey's has a bunch of that stuff.  They have a store in uptown (near lake and hennepin) and one on grand, just east of dale.  not far from downtown st paul.  Web sight is good also.   I don't know how the prices stack up but the quality seems good. 

Curley's old fashioned wieners are one of my favorites! They are a must make every year for sausage fest!!   And let me clarify, sausage fest is not what it sounds like, every year usually the end of march/first part of April, the guys that I hunt with, and girls, get together for a weekend of sausage making, while watching the NCAA college hockey tourny's. There are usually a few drinks involved. Good times!!