• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winnipeg Report Jan 15-17

A buddy and I brought a wheelhouse up to Chalet Beach on Lake Winnipeg.  Jan 14th we got on the ice at 1130pm and had heater problems right away.  I tore into the heater and couldn't get it all the way apart to the pilot.  We ended up at a hotel in Selkirk at 330am.  

Friday morning we went back out after a couple stops at hardware stores in Selkirk.  I finally was able to get the whole heater apart and get to the pilot.  The tip of the pilot was plugged up.  Put it all back together and we were good to go.  Finally got out fishing on Friday at 230pm.  My buddy caught 2 eater eyes that evening that we cooked up for dinner.

Saturday morning was around -25.  Auger would barely start, ATV would barely start.  Stressful start to the trip to say the least.  Slow bite again and we only ended up with 4 eyes, but I had a 26" and a 29.5".  About midday, my buddys marcum broke so he was fishing blind the rest of the trip.

Sunday morning was about the same, trying to get things working.  My propane hose cracked, so we had to run back to the house and get some 1lb cans.  Caught 5 eyes and a sauger all day.  My buddy had a 25.5" and a 26.5", his PB.  I was able to hook into and catch a 31" hog that weighed in at 11.5lbs, my PB.  

We moved around quite a bit, minimum of 15 times each day.  Best depth was 18fow during the midday hours and 13.5fow mornings and evenings.  We fished everywhere from half mile east of the mouth to a mile east of Chalet.  Ice was 11" to 26".  Snow was minimal, some drifts around ice ridges, ATVs and trucks were all over the ice.  I Will attach a couple pics soon.