• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buddy Heater problems.

slipbobbin

I have a Big Buddy heater that won't lite. I can get the pilot lite lit just fine but the minute  I try and turn it on the pilot lite goes out. Running it with the hose and 20 lb tank. Any idea what could be wrong? 

Edited by slipbobbin

Are you running the hose with the quick connect or the one without? If you do not have a quick connect do you have the filter on the line?

Try this lighting procedure because I have run into that on occasion, but all it takes is a second attempt for me to work.

First, if you have disconnected the hose from your last use, you might need to purge air from the line. Before connecting to the buddy heater, I will turn the tank on and depress the valve in the hose to let air escape until I smell the telltale Propane coming out.

Connect to heater

Attempt to light, when pilot lights up keep pushing DOWN on the knob for several seconds and slowly try to turn. If the pilot goes out, relight and keep holding the knob down for a longer period before trying to light the ceramics.

Always works for me.

Part of the issue is that bulk propane is dirty, it goes from large bulk holding tanks then into tank truck, tanks then into smaller tanks at the gas stations then into the smaller dirty 20lbs tanks. The 1lb tank bottles produced in the factories is filtered in their bottle filling process so that is why it does not need to have a filter on the heater when running it. Where bulk propane is picking up craap from different tanks every time it's transferred.

Edited by leech~~

Get a different heater. 

I was surprised it took this long for a buddy heater thread to happen this year.  Last winter, I think there were up to four threads on page one in this forum with different problems.  I'll spare you the wonder, I am 100% anti-Buddy Heaters.  I've had one, fished with guys that had them.  Same issues with all of them.  Get a sunflower. 

buddy.PNG

We've been running a big buddy all last year and this year now and the only problem we have had is when fishing the propane line in from the outside make absolutely sure you don't get the opening anywhere near the snow.  Other than that it has worked great for us and in the coldest weather we're sill down to t-shirts in the portable most of the time.  Maybe they just have a poor production line and have some good and some bad units.  I would just exchange it for a new one if your having issues.

I have had a portable buddy for 7 years now; I use a hose and filter connected to a 20# tank. There was just one time that I had problems and that was with the pilot light going out. I did the cleaning procedure recommended by Mr. Heater and that took care of it. No problems since.

In addition to using a filter like others have said, I leave the hose and filter attached to the heater at all times and whenever the other end is off the tank, I put a small baggie over the end with a rubber band; that keeps out dirt and snow if (when) I drop the line. Also, when I store the heater over the summer, the heater and connected hose all go in a big plastic trash bag and get sealed up as tight as I can get it.

The issues people have with Buddy Heaters can almost 100% of time be traced back to operator error.

1) using the hose without a filter that requires one

2) bumping the heater and pilot goes out

3) not properly banking the heater so wind comes in blowing the pilot out

4) not purging the line causing issues with lighting

You can keep your dang sunflower heater. Headaches, noise, burning everything and anything that touches it, etc I will gladly use my Buddy heater that I have had for 7 years and never a problem that caused me not able to get it lit.

For what it's worth, my Little Buddy is pretty darn tempermental. Worked ok at first, now pilot won't stay lit when the knob is released. Probably the thermocouple, I know, but seems to be the off switch to me. Sometimes I can get it to work if jigger with for a while (a long while), but if I bump it at all it goes out and the whole process starts over. Very frustrating as it it a great size for my flipover. Just got a sunflower for the pop-up, though.

Pigmeat, Same thing with mine, I cleaned it with q-tip like said and nothing, then I took the WHOLE thing apart, you can't amagine how many screws I had laying around,cleaned everything again and put back together thinking I should have thrown it away and bought another but amazingly it worked :lol: It was plugged somewhere. 

First and easiest thing to do is blowout the ceramic heat unit, then all the lines with your air compressor....you'll be amazed at the dust and crud in the ceramics. Then clean all tubes with alcohol and Q-tip, polish thermocouple tip with emery cloth, and you'll be good to go 99% of the time.

51 minutes ago, fishinnut_3446 said:

Pigmeat, Same thing with mine, I cleaned it with q-tip like said and nothing, then I took the WHOLE thing apart, you can't amagine how many screws I had laying around,cleaned everything again and put back together thinking I should have thrown it away and bought another but amazingly it worked :lol: It was plugged somewhere. 

I definately would believe! Done it multiple times now. Will have to try again and try those tricks. Thanks Rebel!

I have 2 sunflower heaters that I hope I never have to use again, one of them is brand new.  The Big Buddy is an awesome product...if they aren't working properly it is almost always operator error or rough treatment.  You toss em in the portable and off you go.  I had a Big Buddy that was 6 years old and the pilot light quit working properly (I always use a filter when hooked to a 20 pounder).  I tried the online fixes and kept getting deeper into a pile of pieces and screws until I tossed it all and bought a new one on sale for 105 bucks.

A Big Buddy will shut off when the air is running out.... a sun flower heater keeps going. That guy in Walker was using a sunflower heater, he's dead and his buddies were real close.

Use the Big Buddies and take care of em, and when they quit working fix it your self if you can, find someone who knows what they are doing to fix it for you or replace it.  For comfort and for safety sake you want something supplying heat that is working properly