• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kapernich or Teddy?

LindellProStaf

Not sure what happened to Kap in San Fran, for awhile he looked like he was the real deal with the tools to kill a defense in a number of ways.  Then all of a sudden the wheels fell off.  I think he's a guy that may rebound with a change of scenery, new coaching staff, and new perspective.  

However, I don't think the vikings will sign him with Teddy in place as the supposed future of the franchise.  Even though its still very much up for debate as to whether Teddy is really capable of being the franchise player I think they'll give him every opportunity to succeed.  If they were to bring in Kap they'd open themselves up for a QB controversy every time Teddy has an off day. I doubt they'd want to deal with that constant second guessing as long as they still have faith in Teddy.

The other side of the coin is that Kap would have to want to come here.  He's a young guy looking to get a shot at a starting job.  I doubt he'll look to sign with a team that has a young established starter, especially one that did have some success and looks to be in place for awhile.

There are a lot of teams out there desperate for a viable QB option.  I'm guessing those teams will be willing to offer more money and Kap will have a better chance at a starting roll week 1. 

back in the day I'm sure they'd grab him.  I bet Zimmer doesn't want the distraction even with him as a backup.  It's probably the one thing you didn't hear this year is any quarterback controversy.  I can't even remember the back ups name right now.

20 minutes ago, leechlake said:

back in the day I'm sure they'd grab him.  I bet Zimmer doesn't want the distraction even with him as a backup.  It's probably the one thing you didn't hear this year is any quarterback controversy.  I can't even remember the back ups name right now.

shaun hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that's going to happen. I agree with Nofishfiserman.  They are going to concentrate on the offensive line No. ! according to Zimmer.  I think Wallace will be gone.  I think they will go after a big reciever via free agency as well. good luck.

I have no idea why everyone thinks SF is getting rid of Kaepernick. He was hurt and tried to play through it. Coupled with terrible coaching he had a predictably terrible year. I would think whoever coaches the 49ers would want Kaepernick playing over anyone else.

Teddy will be fine. If you consider he was the most pressured QB in the league (46.2% of all dropbacks), and that the Vikings had very few passing attempts and that Teddy had the most throw-aways due to pressure, his numbers aren't all that bad. We need more TDs in the redzone. Hopefully with Tony Sparano coming in the O-line can block better and Teddy can attempt some longer throws.

This post isn't directed at any one. It's just my (strong) opinion. I almost feel like any post on HSO has to be prefaced this way these days :)

I know all the knocks against Teddy... Small hands, skinny knees, noodle arm, etc., and for the most part it's all garbage. To throw a deep ball, you need more than 1.3 seconds to let the routes develop. Teddy hasn't had that. Did he miss some easy shots on the year? No question. But he also made some amazing touch passes and grew as a QB throughout the year. He's cerebral and poised. He takes care of the football. He is a pure pocket passer that ONLY runs when he absolutely has to. That's how you survive long enough to develop into a viable long-term starter in the NFL. It's not his fault his passing numbers are down when our game plan this year was hand off to AP on almost every first and second down which created 3rd and longs (again, refer to the porous o-line and 3rd and 7 spells doom). And I can hear the choruses of "all he does is check down" already, but if you really think that, I have to question your football acumen. If the choice is get creamed at the line of scrimmage or make an available play, you take what you get. As our line gets back into serviceable form, the deep balls will come.

And in this age of what 'have you done for me RIGHT NOW,' I believe we still have to live by the old rule of 4 years. That used to be the norm for a QB to hit stride. Teddy has progressed in each of his first two years, not regressed. He is getting better. Give him 2 more years and the Kap vs. Teddy argument will be laughable. Just my two cents. Yes, Kap is a fine athlete, good arm, etc., but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a long term QB in the NFL, and that's because of his predisposition to turn and run. He's gonna shred a knee or get 4 concussions or something along those lines that will keep him on the pine. And I agree with the sentiment that he would be more of a distraction than a viable back up. Also, he won't take the back up role well. He wants to start.

Edited by pikestabber

I agree with most of what you said Pikestabber.  Teddy has shown growth and some of this faults may not be long term issues once other issues are addressed, most notably the O-line.

However, I still think there is a lot of room for debate about Teddy's long term future since he simply hasn't shown anything more than being a serviceable QB.  He's got a ton of potential and a lot of room to grow so now it really comes down to whether or not he will plateau or if he continues to grow and improve.  We've seen a lot of QB's in the nfl look the part early on and then hit a lower ceiling than expected.  Until we actually see Teddy do it the jury remains out.

I'm confident in Teddy.  Why?  I'm just a huge Viking fan and an expert from my couch during the games.  It's because coach Zimmer has great confidence in him.  He once again stated that in his final press conference.  He firmly stated that he is his QB and will be next season.  That's good enough for me.  Zimmer will improve the team and get Teddy some of the help he needs as far as the offensive line and recievers.  good luck.

I'm not convinced yet. Look at Wilson and his ability to make plays even when they are not there. Same thing with Rogers and all the other top qb's. Just haven't seen that yet with Teddy and I'm one of many who doesn't believe he has grown a whole lot if at all. He has poise yes, but he can improve some of his mechanics and maybe even get a little pissed off once in a while. I hope he can show he has that ability soon because with this defense and hopefully a considerably improved offense around him the clock is ticking.

Now that Kelly is in San Fran I'm sure Kap will be staying put.  It will be interesting to see what version of Kap shows up next season with a new coach and new system.  He should be perfectly suited run Kelly's offense. 

I think next year is a huge year for Teddy.  He's got a year and a half of experience now and hopefully the o-line will be addressed in the off season.  This will be the make it or break it year for Teddy.  He'll either show he's greatly improved or we'll start hearing talk about replacement.

No Kap, going with white shoes I mean white gloves Teddy. He can't run he can't throw he can't fumble to AP in Green Bay but did Bridgewater. If I'm Mike Wallace I want out as well. He burned 75 thousand calories trying to run off secondaries deep for 16 weeks and no 1 was buying a fly pattern. Teddy is not much of a threat, he and Norv need to in year 3 get this thing rollin a bit. When it's a passing league we run and when it was a running league we threw. Always something in MN never have all the pieces put together at the same time. The D we have today with Favre would've gotten it done. Now we still don't know next season could come down to a field goal again and Blair will be sweating it.

9 hours ago, fishersofmen said:

I'm not convinced yet. Look at Wilson and his ability to make plays even when they are not there. Same thing with Rogers and all the other top qb's.

Keep in mind that at Teddy's age neither Wilson nor Rodgers had even taken an NFL snap yet. The important thing is the game doesn't look like it's over his head. I think he just tries to play it too safe sometimes. Hopefully he learns to let his receivers try to make some catches on contested balls next year.

On 1/14/2016 at 10:42 AM, pikestabber said:

Iknow all the knocks against Teddy... Small hands, skinny knees, noodle arm, etc., and for the most part it's all garbage. To throw a deep ball, you need more than 1.3 seconds to let the routes develop. Teddy hasn't had that. Did he miss some easy shots on the year? No question. But he also made some amazing touch passes and grew as a QB throughout the year. He's cerebral and poised. He takes care of the football. He is a pure pocket passer that ONLY runs when he absolutely has to. That's how you survive long enough to develop into a viable long-term starter in the NFL. It's not his fault his passing numbers are down when our game plan this year was hand off to AP on almost every first and second down which created 3rd and longs (again, refer to the porous o-line and 3rd and 7 spells doom). And I can hear the choruses of "all he does is check down" already, but if you really think that, I have to question your football acumen. If the choice is get creamed at the line of scrimmage or make an available play, you take what you get. As our line gets back into serviceable form, the deep balls will come.

People said the same things about T-Jack...

At the end of the day when you push aside all the meaningless dropback percentages and O-line excuses, Bridgewater really is only marginally better than T-Jack and it's pretty clear to see...if you want to see it.

Biggest difference that is easily noticeable between T-Junk and Teddy is to this day T-Junk still looks like a deer lost in the headlights when he's out there. Teddy remains calm and can drive down the field without losing his composure, that was a big spot against the Seachickens in a playoff game with everything on the line and he led us right down the field to have a chance to win the game.

Only thing Teddy really has to work on or try more is the deep shot, other then that he's pretty solid, he's not elite. He's smart, hard worker, good kid, and a decent athlete, those tools can bring you a long way. 

You have guys that are more athletic with bigger arms that are dumb as a box of rocks with no work ethic thinking they can just coast through on ability alone, doesn't work that way in the NFL, guys that can throw the ball far are dime a dozen.

If you were just picking on who is more mobile with a bigger arm then it's Kappy, knock on him is he don't put in the work and is a loner in the locker room. A guy like Teddy may not have the biggest arm but he will put in the work and everyone in the locker room loves him. I'd rather have a QB the team wants to rally around personally.

I guess the obvious other option was johny football lol so the issue isn't tedward bridgewater it's in a way Drew Brees. There would be no favre in purple no tjack no ponder no teddy no hill or sage no joe webb. We saw him in Purdue and SD and didnt even make a daing phone call  ? We had a dome we blew it. I hate seeing the cardinals run the shuffle pass like they have a rookie at qb. Norv needs to take note think anyone on the planet would expect jarius wright in the slot to run that twice a year maybe ? Ted can't run it can't fire it into tight windows isnt like big ben tough i'll predict a season ending injury for him in year 3 which will string him out to year 4.