• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Confessions of a DarkHouse Spear Fisherman. ( airing of grievances)

Neighbor_guy

Hi, my name is Matt... It's been 24hrs since I sat in the Darkhouse. I am not convinced that I will get another sit in this year. Next Saturday is our banquet. Sunday it's all over. We wait for 9months for it to get here. And if the ice is good we get 3months to do the dance. It's a live puppet show and the most entertaining type of ice fishing out there. Like deer hunting on ice. 

If you haven't taken a new spear fisherman or a kid out this year please do so. There may be a time in the future that they take you. 

1 hour ago, Neighbor_guy said:

Is it wrong that I have to talk myself out of tripping someone I meet in the hallway who is so engrossed in what is on their phone that they cant pull themselves away enough to look me in the eye and say hello???

It is not wrong at all... But what if that same person was reading your comment on this page and that's why they couldn't look up? :)  In all seriousness, though, cell phone addiction is a very sad plague. In that same vein is when you are talking to someone IN PERSON but they stop to answer a text/call in the middle of your conversation. That one floors me.

And here's another one for the list--the person who made onesies for infants with all buttons and no zipper. #^@# that guy!

(new dad here)

24 minutes ago, Neighbor_guy said:

Turkey season and spring foraging are in full swing. Still keeping in touch with the guys I spear with. But breakfast once a month isn't quite the same as hot dogs off the tailgate every other Sunday afternoon... 

I definitely miss that. 

Sitting here this morning I realized that turkey hunting is kinda like sitting in the spear shack. 

Small dark house or in this case a blind with the windows mostly closed. Slow methodical movements as to not scare something you can't see. Hoping something comes close enough for a shot. 

Only at the end of the day, no kink in your neck 

Summer hasn't even "officially" started and I am already tired of it. Chemical feeds for cooling towers and outdoor water features. Mowing the lawn!!!! Cleaning the gutters!!!!

Its way easier to heat the garage to work in it than it is to cool it. 

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the baby ducks and foraging for mushrooms and wild edibles.... But I would much rather be hunting ducks and sitting in the spear shack then mowing around the shack and covering decoys with a tarp. 

Do you ever wonder who everyone is talking to???

I am blessed with an early work shift, I punch in at 6am. As a result I am on the road at around 5:15am everyday. I'm willing to bet close to half the people I see driving down the road are talking in the phone. Really!?!? I don't even like to hold a conversation with myself at that time of morning let alone someone on the phone. 

Then when I get to work as I am getting things opened up and started for the day half or more of the people I greet in the hallways or elevators are on the phone as well. 

Who are all these people talking to?????

11 hours ago, Neighbor_guy said:

Do you ever wonder who everyone is talking to???

I am blessed with an early work shift, I punch in at 6am. As a result I am on the road at around 5:15am everyday. I'm willing to bet close to half the people I see driving down the road are talking in the phone. Really!?!? I don't even like to hold a conversation with myself at that time of morning let alone someone on the phone. 

Then when I get to work as I am getting things opened up and started for the day half or more of the people I greet in the hallways or elevators are on the phone as well. 

Who are all these people talking to?????

I've been wondering why you don't call me on the way to work....

When the microwave popcorn catches on fire after 2 minutes when the bag said to set it for 3....... Is that just a dramatic way of saying "don't eat this"??????

because there are far less agrivati g ways that don't involve a fire extinguisher....

stinking popcorn......

Our entire world is "password protected"... I have two passwords that get rotated around. If they need a capital letter or a number they get modified slightly, but are easily remember able. Why then is it possible to have the same page declare every single Monday that my password is incorrect and I must contact my system administrator for a reset????

Is it just so that HR can justify having an IT person on staff to reset passwords???

It must be their way of telling us to change the decoys out. The fish are tired of looking at the green and yellow one, change to pink and white. 

What happened to us??? Not you and I here in the spearing forum where it's always dark and we stare at a little wooden fish 5' down. I mean U.S. as people. When did we go from "if you try to kill me, my family, or someone I care about I will kill you back" to "you shouldn't do that now I'm offended"????

Has everyone in this country become wussified or just those who live closest to the tallest buildings and on the coasts???

Our two political parties have given us two choices as the future "leader" of our country. A bigot who is catering to the trailer park demographic on one side, and one of the most evil human beings on gods green earth on the other. (And yes I said God. Deal with it. I get to)

Maybe in the end Jeremiah Johnson was right..."I've been to a town Del".... Just live within ourselves and not get all worried about protecting and pandering to adult children. 

Wow that got a little deep.... I will have to come up with a light hearted observation next time. 

2 hours ago, mrklean said:

Why is it so hard to find a good pair of stand up tongs???? Was looking at the local antique stores this weekend and found a pair that were close to what I wanted but still just a little to short just a pain

They are tough to find. I go to a lot of antique stores and flea markets including some out of state. I buy any set I can find that are $50 and under and I haven't made a score in quite awhile. 

There have been a few on e b a y recently but the freight mark up people put on them usually make them very expensive. 

Last set I got off hsolist they had a reasonable buy it now price but $43 in freight. I emailed them and asked if they had a more affordable shipping option. They dropped the freight to $17. 

If you search e b a y use. Large ice tongs and try Gifford Wood. Gifford Wood is the company that made the good 30" plus tongs.

On 6/25/2016 at 6:50 PM, LoonASea said:

Me thinks you  NG and Wander need to come up and fish Superior some time soon to get some sanity back   and maybe ,,,Just maybe get a king for Wanderer 

Ha, Randy, have you been reading my mind?  I've been thinking about checking for an open seat or two this summer.  I'll PM you. :cool:

10 hours ago, mrklean said:

Why is it so hard to find a good pair of stand up tongs???? Was looking at the local antique stores this weekend and found a pair that were close to what I wanted but still just a little to short just a pain

Mj has bough them all,he has a close knit group of people scavenging for them. 

Any good scrounger has to have moles in different areas. Nobody can be everywhere all at once. It helps to have like minded people scattered here and there. :whistle:

------------------------------------------------

I got to wondering today... Why is it that when its 2degrees outside and you are eating a hot dog and a handfull of Doritos out on the ice it's like winning the lunchtime lottery. Yet when it's 70 deg and you are at home on the deck it becomes the "well, I guess I could have a hot dog" dinner option???