• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrade my fl-8 or not??

J.BRUHN

Question

I have an older fl-8 My question is, is it worth upgrading to a newer Vexliar? I have had 0 problems with the fl-8!! What's the up side to a newer one? Thanks for the info!! Greatly appreciated!!!

13 answers to this question

I have an fl-8, and have thought of upgrading myself, but I've decided if I drop the money, I'll put it in a aqua vu micro 5.   The fl-8 already works just fine, as it has for years. I would like to have the av to do some serious scouting. Maybe next year.  If anybody is looking for a new vex, check out their re-furbished. They will back anything up. Great CS.

2 hours ago, gunner55 said:

I thought I saw a thread where some were having problems with the new model(flx-28).  Found it in the Ice Fishing Forum & it's the 2015 models 

The original poster noted that Vexilar found a software fix for the issue and he will be bringing it in to be applied.  I'm sure he will post the results after the fix.

I ran the FL8 for many years and then won a FL20 2 years ago... It took me the first season to let go of my FL8, now I love the 20! my daughter tried to claim the 20 last week and I actually fought for the 20 vs my trusty fl8! Once you zoom, it is hard to go back fishing over 20' again. FL8 is still a great flasher but the new models are better in most circumstances.

While I am a marcum guy for the most part, just cause I have them ;)  I will say that the jump from the fl8 to fl18 is HUUUGE! It was the fl18 that made me get my lx5, due to the zoom. I would use a fl18 any day and love it, but the fl8 just doesn't do it for me. Also used fl20 plenty and very nice, if you have the extra cash get the "better" ones but the fl18 IMO is the one where the game changes for the better.

Good luck, you will love the zoom of any unit or brand you end up buying, and the fl18 is great at zoom!