• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcasting reel: Left or Right hand retrieve

mistermom

Question

I am a baitcaster rookie. I've been using them for trolling but not casting. My question is: Would it be smarter for a right handed guy like myself who is totally comfortable reeling with his left hand on spinning reels to get a baitcaster with left hand retrieve? What thinks you folks on this? Thanks! I'll hang-up and listen.

mm

15 answers to this question

hmmmmm i tried a left hand retrieve bait caster , but it just didn't feel comfortable to me so i sold it. i too real a spinning reel with my left hand, but went back to holding the casting rod in my left. if it feels comfortable to you, go with the left. you will get more casts in do to not changing hands. just remember that fishing is suppose to be enjoyable and fun. i have been working on learning to cast with my left hand. this is an option too. del

Hi Mistermom
I have been thinking the same thing.Too me cranking with the right does not seem as comfortable as cranking with the left.SO i purchased some left hand baitcasters,but i can't tell you what i think yet,i havnt used them(but i hear that some people are already casting in their back yard) so it wont be long! wink.gif

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

It is all up to the user and how you feel about it. I also wind with my left on spinning gear. I am a little bit lucky, cause I can run a baitcaster either handed (ambedextrious)sp). I do prefer to pitch with my right hand, and casting I have no preference. I am looking for a new reel just for the purpose of pitching in the left hand winding style. Like Delmut said make it fun, not work. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
My neighbors think I have lost it, pitching to trees when it is just above zero.

This is something that I have questioned for a while. I watch the pros on the TV cast with their right hand and them switch the rod to their left and reel in. This does not seem correct to me. If you are right handed that's your strong hand. Why would you try to bring in that huge bucketmouth holding the rod in your weak hand?

Wishin2BFishin

MM,
On this forum is a great thread about baitcasters, and the one on the 'Bass' forum turned up nice info too.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

True, it is your strong hand. But you need to be able to have a bunch of power with your right hand to crank down on the hogs. And it gets to be a motion that becomes second nature switching from right hand to left hand to begin your retrieve. It's becomes like breathing in out in.....gasp.............

Thanks for all the replies! I think I might just try both out in the store and see what feels right (providing I can in the store). I'm sure I can do it either way. I'm just intriqued by the left hand idea.

mm

I bought a left hand baitcaster thinking similarly to you mistermom. The only difference was I grew up on baitcasters.

I was totally uncomfortable with it. For reasons unknown I just could not fight a fish well at all holding that rod in my right hand and reeling with my left, even that's what I do with a spinning reel. Maybe it's just a headgame, but it didn't work for me.

A couple years ago I hired a guide who had only left handed baitcasters on board for trolling 3 ways. I didn't like them at all but did learn by day's end that I could feel bites better holding the rod in my right hand.

If you can I would definitely try one out - even fish it - before you buy it.

Mistermom, When I first started fishing with a baitcaster I thought the same thing you are asking, so I got a baitcaster with the handle on the left side. You can cast with your right and reel with your left. The only problem is, if your right handed, your left hand is more sensitive. Cast with your right, switch hand and reel with your right, you will feel more fish holding the rod with your left hand.

------------------
Jim Reed
http://countrykatfishing.com

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 03-06-2003).]

Some pros don't switch hands, an extra unneeded step. You don't switch hands with a spinning rod so why do it with a baitcaster? I agree with an earlier post and that is practice practice practice. I retrained myself not to switch hands and it was worth it.

lakevet

Many of the older pros cast and switch because back when they learned to cast, they didn't have casting reels with the crank on the left side. for spinning reels, they didn't have cranks on the right side. I cannot figure out why casting reels were made for left hand casting, and spinning reels for right.

Growing up from a young age I remember using closed faced reels with right hand crank. Then came the Spinning reel which was left handed. While using these, then started to fish bigger fish and changed to casting with baitcaster, right handed of course since it was the only. But the first year they came out with the "left handed" crank I switched knowing it didn't make sense always casting with the right hand and moving the whole pole and reel to the other hand to retrieve the lure. Plus missing strikes at times when the fish would hit when the lure hit the water. I have 3 Baitcasters - all left handed retrieve. It just makes sense.

Countrykat
I agree that if your righthanded your left might be more sensitive but i also think that if your are right handed your reflexs are better on the right(for setting the hook) and for me being right handed it's easier to thumb the reel and handel the pole with the right.but thats just me.
I think each person has to look at themselves and decide what is best for them! smile.gif one size don't fit all

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

I really like my left handed baitcasters but because I have some 6500c that are right handed I still try sometime to real with my right hand but its easier for me to fish the left reels. Go to hsolist and look under shimano corsair 301/401 the 01 are left handed and these are a good caster for the money ,around 45.00
metro

I too grew up with spinning reels. When I bought my first baitcaster,(20 some years ago) it was a left-hand Shimano. For me, it's not so much which side cranks better, or even casting, but what feels better working the lure, setting the hook and fighting the fish. No question my right hand does alot better. I absolutly cannot work a worm or jig with my left hand on the rod. I feel like Jerry Lewis. My right hand IS the rod and I feel everything and seems only natural. I work a hooked fish with the rod, and the reel only takes up excess line. But, to each their own. To all who can go from left/spinning to right/casting, you're better than I.

rascal