• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Here we go again....best auger out there?

lungdeflator

Well I bought a brand new Eskimo Shark 71 last spring.  Probably have less then 150 holes on it and am not happy at all.  I plan on returning/exchanging it.

I do not want to spend the money on a Nils nor do I want an electric.  

I drill a fair amount of holes per year and like the 10" bit.  Strongly considering the Strikemaster Honda Lite.   Might consider a propane, but do not want to be limited in super cold temps.  What to get?  

There is a ton of vibration in through the handles, the last 3 times I've tried to start it, it has been very hard to start (temps ranging from 25 to -3, even after letting it warm up for awhile it takes awhile of holding the throttle before the auger starts turning, and the last time I tried to start it the choke lever broke off.  

I have to hold the throttle so long before the auger starts spinning, I start to get nervous about something burning or blowing up.

I put new gas in, checked the spark plug, and checked the air filter.  Still started very hard. 

2 minutes ago, lungdeflator said:

There is a ton of vibration in through the handles, the last 3 times I've tried to start it, it has been very hard to start (temps ranging from 25 to -3, even after letting it warm up for awhile it takes awhile of holding the throttle before the auger starts turning, and the last time I tried to start it the choke lever broke off.  

I have to hold the throttle so long before the auger starts spinning, I start to get nervous about something burning or blowing up.

I put new gas in, checked the spark plug, and checked the air filter.  Still started very hard. 

Sounds a little like the clutch maybe having some issues not engaging?

2 minutes ago, lungdeflator said:

Not sure, but with less then 150 holes on it, its just not right and not something I want to mess with if I can return or exchange it.

The first couple times out with it last spring it was great, no problems.

What would be the return limit I would wonder? You may have a hard time with that but give it a shot. Maybe they would at least give you another to try?

Do you use non-oxy gas in it? Run it out of the end of the season? Have the proper plug, gapped properly? (I think .028 on that one) Cleaned or blown out the carb this year?  Using the choke properly, or flooding it? That's a big issue with these; 2 primes is usually all it takes, I see a LOT of over-priming. Have you ever hit anything with the auger, or (god forbid) leaned down hard on it while drilling? It sounds like bent flighting/shaft to me. A bent shaft can also knock the main brass shaft bushing; making it "egg-shaped", which will cause your vibration problem. Your clutch may be glazed, or you can have one of the clutch springs broken. Eskimo's are one of the best augers out there, I've worked on 'em all, and if you give it proper care, you'll have few issues with it. Call Eskimo at 1 715 822 2415, ext 146, and talk with Eva.....they're great folk over there.

Edited by RebelSS

Thanks for the replies.  

I run the premium gas.  I don't run it dry, but I put some stabilizer in and run it for a bit with the stabilizer and then drain the rest of the gas out after that, so it never ran dry.  Haven't cleaned the carb, but the darn thing is so new, hardly ran, and stored inside year round that I can't imagine the carb being dirty.  Spark plug looked fine to me, it is the original plug so again, can't imagine the gap being off.  I followed the instructions on how to start it the first time and have followed them every time since, so no, not over priming and using the choke improperly.  I've never hit anything or even drilled dirty ice for that matter.

A friend of mine mentioned that Eskimo packed to much thick grease in the gear case in some of them.  Sounds like other guys are having an issue like mine, won't turn when its cold.

Once in a while ran across a few with a weak coil....that will cause the hard start. perhaps a pinhole in the diaphragm, that happens.I haven't seen the thick grease issue, but if you're leaving it outside, that could well be.  You don't need the premium gas, but I highly recommend using non-oxy...the ethanol dump is too hard on rubber/plastic parts. Stay away from that junk with all small engines. I'd give Eskimo a call and see what they say. If ya talk with Eva, tell her Reb from Rochester said hello and to call her. :grin:

13 hours ago, Down2Earth said:

I've got the el-cheapo stingray and it's never given me a bit of trouble in 6 years besides 2 new gas tanks that seem to form leaks from thin air.  I'd say operator error is the problem here.

Nothin' cheapo about that!! Just a smaller 33cc engine is all...rest is all the same. Mine is still rip roaring!!!! :lol:

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:19 PM, lungdeflator said:

Well I bought a brand new Eskimo Shark 71 last spring.  Probably have less then 150 holes on it and am not happy at all.  I plan on returning/exchanging it.

I do not want to spend the money on a Nils nor do I want an electric.  

I drill a fair amount of holes per year and like the 10" bit.  Strongly considering the Strikemaster Honda Lite.   Might consider a propane, but do not want to be limited in super cold temps.  What to get?  

I love my NilUSA auger. It starts great (even in the cold temperatures). It is light weight & cuts through the ice like it is cutting butter. Add the fact it comes with a 7 year warranty.

If I had 900$ I would think about it.  I think I could get a good auger for half that, and spend the other half on other gear, like a new flasher or somthing.  

Talked to a guy at the store I bought it from and am doing an exchange for a strikemaster lazer pro.  I'll give it a try, gonna get a workout on Winnipeg this weekend!   High of -12 on Sunday....

4 hours ago, lungdeflator said:

If I had 900$ I would think about it.  I think I could get a good auger for half that, and spend the other half on other gear, like a new flasher or somthing.  

Talked to a guy at the store I bought it from and am doing an exchange for a strikemaster lazer pro.  I'll give it a try, gonna get a workout on Winnipeg this weekend!   High of -12 on Sunday....

That must be the newer 35 CC model. Not the 27 CC model. That is basically a professional grade auger. You will not break that bad boy. That is an earth auger. Strong as heck.

$900 for an auger?! Yikes!!!

I would look at the Honda Strikemaster... you get the best cutting auger on the market, it has replaceable blades (have to sharpen the Nils), and an incredible little 4-stroke engine. I have run the Lazer for 10 years now, still on my original blades and it still cuts like butter. I got the Honda version 2 years ago, and ever since the first time I have started it I haven't had to pull it more than twice to get it running, and as soon as it pops it's purring like a kitten. It pulls so easy a 4 year old could start it (way, way easier than a 2 stroke). I'm trying to get it down to a one pull start, but haven't quite gotten it mastered where I can do it every time.

It's probably on the higher end of the price spectrum, but to me it has been the best ice fishing purchase I have made yet. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of the Honda 4-stroke motors out there, if you research the motor you will see how reliable they are. 

Well the closest store to exchange is only 300 miles away, so a "quick trip to town" is out of the question.  I believe the Lazer pro has the 3hp, 54cc Solo on it.  Talked with the small engine guys at said store and they say out of all the augers, the solo engines come in for fixing the least.

I tried posting a link to another forum here about the grease issue in the eskimo gear boxes.  A quick google search will reveal it is a real issue for people. 

Rebel, I appreciate the replys and input, but I'll say this: if you spend your time on the internet and reading/posting in forums, then I wouldn't complain about wasting time and effort. 

An auger is like everything else mechanical they all have problems. I own a nils buddy runs jiffy propane 2 brothers have 4 stroke strikemaster another has a regular jiffy. When we go fishing all augers with. 

When holes need drilled they all grab the Nils. No one will say it's the best but their actions speak pretty loud.  Good luck with your purchase.